Current McLaren

Arguably one of the big teams in Formula One but lately they don't seem to be able to get the basics right.
Some of their strategy and decisions in the last few years has left more than a few observers scratching their heads.

Just a few for starters:
  • Leaving Kimi out on a badly flat-spotted tyre, resulting in it exploding on the last lap.
  • Leaving Hamilton out on tyres so badly worn they were down to the canvas; Bridgestone themselves demanded that McLaren bring him in and McLaren refused, keeping him out for a few more laps. That decision arguably cost Hamilton the first rookie WDC and is one which will haunt him and McLaren for the rest of their days.
  • Not sending Button and Hamilton out to get banker laps in during Q1.
  • Sending Hamilton out on used tyres in Q3, with rain forecast, meaning it would be impossible to set a fast lap time on his second attempt on new tyres.
Their major updates seem to send them further down the grid, instead of challenging for pole positions and wins. As the season progresses they tend to get worse before getting better, by which time it is generally too late.

It's often said of them "write them off at your peril", but is this necessarily true?

The last time they won the WCC was in 1998 and their last WDC was 2008, before that 1999.
Their days of regularly winning championships seem to be well and truly behind them.

It's all well and good coming up with reasons why they haven't won championships.
The fact remains though, they have won just one WDC in the last 12 years.

So where to now for McLaren?

(I wrote this in rather a hurry so I will flesh it out when I have more time.)

I hope Williams did snaffle Martini from under McLaren's noses given the number of dirty deals Ron has done to steal sponsors and equipment from Williams.

FB... Ron has stolen sponsors, engine deals, staff, drivers, all from Williams - or at least gazumped them at the last minute! The '80s and the '90s was full of that sort of behaviour, which was somewhat disgusting!

Considering his pace throughout the race I suspect that, that is the truth of the matter I couldn't believe it when he started going backwards, he was on for a damn good haul of points as well possibly even a podium...

Last edited:
Mind, the one thing I haven't heard discussed is just how superior JB was over KMag this weekend! In the race, KMag was so much slower than JB, that when he retired, he was something like 40 seconds behind - and both with 1 stop remaining! Very poor weekend for KMag this week - Great weekend for JB until his gear selection issues following the safety car!

To be fair it makes far more sense to give Kmag the track time given that he's a rookie and the more time he gets in the car the better.

Thats not usually how Mclaren"s brains work though but I'd put money on him being a bit sharper come China.

I know Button was running in the top 10 in Bahrain but, really, both cars were pretty anonymous. The only vision I have of either McLaren in the desert is of them being overtaken.

Last edited:
Button made 4 overtakes for position and he was overtaken 8 times but all of those 8 were after the safety car when his car developed a gearbox/clutch fault, but then it is natural for a non fan not to follow a drivers he doesn't support during a race, for instance I didn't take any notice of what Hamilton or or Vettel got up to during the race I couldn't even tell you where Vettel finished without looking it up...

Button was on for a solid 5th and had a very good possibility of a podium before his car troubles so considering the dominance of the Mercs I wouldn't call that being anonymous...

They should have been in a position to develop better than Force India and Williams. It'll be interesting to see Monaco, might give a truer picture of who has built a fast car rather than just an engine.

Do you honestly believe I am going to rise to that bait? Sorry it just ain't gonna happen, I'm not your plaything for you to abuse whenever the mood takes you, I learnt my lesson on the KMag thread thank you very much....

I will agree with one thing though McLaren should have produced a better car but Jenson did a very good job with the car he has been given...

Last edited:
Is it possible that with all the Whitmarsh/Dennis shenanigans that the chassis boys took their eye off the ball?

It certainly isn't the engine at fault!

I didn't take any notice of what Hamilton...

I know it's hard for you to follow the leader Meph :twisted:

Button made 4 overtakes for position

He overtook Kvyat, and the slower than a slow thing Ferrari's on the straight. Along with Bottas is must be said. Not exactly knifing through the field though.

McLaren will undoubtedly get better throughout this season, and then they'll start all over again with Honda. I cant see this team fighting for a title until 2017. But who knows?

Back
Top Bottom