Current McLaren

Arguably one of the big teams in Formula One but lately they don't seem to be able to get the basics right.
Some of their strategy and decisions in the last few years has left more than a few observers scratching their heads.

Just a few for starters:
  • Leaving Kimi out on a badly flat-spotted tyre, resulting in it exploding on the last lap.
  • Leaving Hamilton out on tyres so badly worn they were down to the canvas; Bridgestone themselves demanded that McLaren bring him in and McLaren refused, keeping him out for a few more laps. That decision arguably cost Hamilton the first rookie WDC and is one which will haunt him and McLaren for the rest of their days.
  • Not sending Button and Hamilton out to get banker laps in during Q1.
  • Sending Hamilton out on used tyres in Q3, with rain forecast, meaning it would be impossible to set a fast lap time on his second attempt on new tyres.
Their major updates seem to send them further down the grid, instead of challenging for pole positions and wins. As the season progresses they tend to get worse before getting better, by which time it is generally too late.

It's often said of them "write them off at your peril", but is this necessarily true?

The last time they won the WCC was in 1998 and their last WDC was 2008, before that 1999.
Their days of regularly winning championships seem to be well and truly behind them.

It's all well and good coming up with reasons why they haven't won championships.
The fact remains though, they have won just one WDC in the last 12 years.

So where to now for McLaren?

(I wrote this in rather a hurry so I will flesh it out when I have more time.)

The BBC and Autosport are reporting that Sam Michael, current technical director at Williams, will be joining McLaren for 2012, and will be leaving the Williams team following the upcoming Singapore Grand Prix. Given the decline in form of the Williams team over recent seasons, can this possible be good news for McLaren? He's been appointed as the team's sporting director, so this should keep him away from car development surely?

Certainly he semed out of his depth at Williams, but can he be allowed to play to his strengths at McLaren?

Steady now chaps - I seem to remember reading that Rubens said it was partly because Sam Michael was trying to do too many jobs at Williams that the team lost it's focus. I'm reasonably certain McLaren will make sure he has a clearly-defined area of operation. I suspect he's better off being a cog in a machine instead of the handle that operates it.

Well well well. I had read that there were a lot of big names chasing him. So either Williams or McLaren have made a mistake?

I'd make his job to look after the Mclaren "customer" teams. No chance they will ever challenge at the front of the grid then...

Sam Michael as Sporting Director:o:no::nah::thinking::unsure::dunno::rolleyes::oops::o:o:o

I am not sure Jonathan Neale , Phil Pru, Tim Goss would be too thrilled about it either being the senior engineers in the Mclaren team

I don't rate Sam Michael... he's been at Williams for so long and they have not recovered since splitting from BMW and there are decent engineers at Williams

It was said he got on well with Ralf Schumacher who he knew from his Jordan days which irked Juan Montoya a bit

I don't see how Sam is going to add input or value unless he knows how to organise the matrix structure within the Mclaren team. If it was Ross Brawn then I would be jumping for joy but Sam Michael :no::no::no: :o:o:o I hope I am wrong

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/94528

This is great for Sam Michael but is it a good move for Mclaren ? He has been with Williams for the last 11 years through their decline. This isn't necessarily his fault. Mclaren certainly must see him as a asset or they wouldn't of hired him.

Your thoughts....

What is the role of SPORTING DIRECTOR ?

Can someone enlighten me . Last person who had such role was Gil De Ferran with Honda because he retired from racing but he quit after a year or so because he was not sure what was required of him

That is what I am worried about if the engineers start listening to Sam rather than use their own judgement

The Australian's role will focus on development and management of the team's trackside operations as well as working closely with drivers Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button.

That's what the BBC website says. So I guess he won't be working on the car...

Just reported on MSN that Sam is to join McLaren as race director; probably leaving Williams after Singapore.

Curious to know your thoughts on this move...
... a mistake by Mclaren or justified?

That's what the BBC website says. So I guess he won't be working on the car...

Sounds like a PR and event management role. Coordinating press and guests. Perhaps keeping Martin away from the BBC cameras and making sure Lewis and Jenson toe the company line in interviews and public appearances. Sort of like a chief ambassador.

Ninje - I'm pretty sure you're describing the "Press Officer", a role currently filled by former editor of F1 Racing, Matt Bishop.

As I understand it, the role of Sporting Director is to organise trackside operations - such as the running of the pit crew and garage. It's the role from which Dave Ryan was sacked after "lie-gate", and so requires an extensive knowledge of the sporting/technical regulations. As far as I can make out, it has little to do with designing or engineering the cars, and more to do with making sure the team operates efficiently during a race weekend.

Back
Top Bottom