Karting

Thanks for the advice Sushi. I'm expecting it to be a big shock and so am going to attend as many sessions as I possibly can. I am trying to be pretty realistic about it and expect the first couple of weekends to be a big punch in the face. My aim is to be competitive in the midfield by the end of the season and then spend next year trying to progress.

I am a pretty strong, fit and agile guy from all my BMX years so can stand up to most physical punishment. Quick reactions, spacial awareness and a big set of cajones are all attributes that I think will carry over well. The characteristics of the karts and how they handle is going to be where the learning curve comes, I believe. I've never driven a car and don't have a driving license which I am hoping will be a benefit to me as it will allow me to be more instinctive. I'm also just above the bottom weight limit for the heavyweight class. If I can get to grips with the machines, hopefully I'll be able to make some sort of a dent. I guess we shall see.

If you do any sessions this year then let me know, perhaps you can spot me and give me a couple of pointers. I'm sure I'm going to need them.

I don't think I'm the right person to be giving you pointers, I'm pretty average lol LOL, maybe about 2s off the fastest guys.

The top speed of the Karts is something like 80mph I think. I'm not sure how close to that you get at a typical circuit (maybe 60mph or so, I can't remember/don't know), but safe to say it feels bloody quick! It's not just the ultimate speed that makes it feel quicker though, it's how it's delivered and also how much speed you can carry through the corners.

I don't think I'm the right person to be giving you pointers, I'm pretty average lol LOL, maybe about 2s off the fastest guys.

The top speed of the Karts is something like 80mph I think. I'm not sure how close to that you get at a typical circuit (maybe 60mph or so, I can't remember/don't know), but safe to say it feels bloody quick! It's not just the ultimate speed that makes it feel quicker though, it's how it's delivered and also how much speed you can carry through the corners.

I'm sooo excited. It gives me goosebumps and butterflies every time I think about it.

One decent tip is to try and watch a couple of videos of someone driving a Club 100 kart round the track you're going to beforehand. Then when you get in the kart you at least have some sort of idea about where the track might be going and where you need to brake etc. Didn't stop me from driving round the wrong circuit for a few laps at Whilton Mill in my first ever test session though! Also, Karting on slicks on a wet track is a bit of an eye opener so hopefully you'll get a couple of dry days first!

Anyway, it's awesome, I'm sure you'll love it! Let us know how you get on!

One decent tip is to try and watch a couple of videos of someone driving a Club 100 kart round the track you're going to beforehand. Then when you get in the kart you at least have some sort of idea about where the track might be going and where you need to brake etc. Didn't stop me from driving round the wrong circuit for a few laps at Whilton Mill in my first ever test session though! Also, Karting on slicks on a wet track is a bit of an eye opener so hopefully you'll get a couple of dry days first!

Anyway, it's awesome, I'm sure you'll love it! Let us know how you get on!

I've been watching all afternoon. (Between contracts at the moment - anyone need a top flight UX consultant?)

I have sent off my application forms, too. Fingers crossed that I can get, at least, the testing next Friday and then the race on Sunday. Weekend in Wales. I've never even been to Wales. That's how excited I am.

:yesss:

You've reawakened the demon in me and I've started the ball rolling with membership (sent online application). I'm hoping to do the races at Bayford Meadows, Ellough Park, Whilton Mill and Rye House, there's a lot I have to sort out but what the heck. I've only sat in a kart of any sort once since April last year so it's going to be interesting... I haven't been to Bayford or Ellough before either...

You'll probably be faster than me by July too!

EDIT: Ah, but you'll be racing in the heavyweights, no big rivalry just yet then because I need to carry a MASSIVE amount of lead with me just to get to the lightweight limit. Which reminds me that I'm going to have to buy lead! And a race suit and gloves probably makes sense...even cheap motorsport is bloody expensive...

YES!!!!!!

I have booked up my first testing session and race.

I'm off to Llandow for testing on the 4th May and the Heavyweight Sprint races on Sunday 6th May.

Less than two weeks until my first testing session.

Does anybody know anything about helmet cams? I want to video it all. Don't want to spend too much money, but don't want crap picture or sound either.

Wow! Now that was a lesson. Three times in the tyres and my kart looked like a lawnmower after 20 laps. Got better as I went on which is encouraging and had a really nice period of consistency at the end. Still 2.5secs off the quickest lap but, on reflection, I'm happy. It's set my expectations for the race on Sunday.

In case anyone wants to know, my fastest lap was 53.773s. There is much room for improvement but it was my first time out and I can only get better. I think the key on Sunday will be staying cool upstairs and relaxing into a rhythm... and staying on the circuit.

I'll be up against a lot of guys and girls with a lot of experience. My target is to break out of the fourth quarter with regards to finishing order. It's a pretty big target but I have to be ambitious. I reckon I'm in this for the long game now. (So long as the work keeps coming in).

53.773 sounds good to me! Looking back at some of my times from 2010 (end of my first year in the BUKC) my best was something like a 53.0 (http://www.bukc.co.uk/results/2010/driverschamp/lightweights/4/laptimes Jack Roberts if you're interested), which was about 1.5s off the pace on the day. You'll probably be faster than me in no time!

Honestly, if you can just finish the races without falling off and with another kart in sight I think that would be a good achievement for your first attempt. If it rains on Sunday you should have no expectations or targets whatsoever lol, the first time driving on slicks in the wet certainly is a learning experience.

Well! Last place but a cracking race and I'm sure I was up to 16th before I went on an excursion during an ambitious attempt at a double overtake. I definitely improved a lot through the weekend and my confidence grew and grew. I'm now looking forward to Bay Meadows and wil be booking myself up for the rest of the season. Going to have a go at endurance on Saturday to maximise track time before the sprints on the Sunday.

Is is going to be very expensive, I feel, but it's money well spent.

You'll have to get a helmet-cam so we can share your fun ExtremeNinja

There's some good kit on the market with prices coming right down. I'll try and find some info' for you :)

Keep up the good work and lots of luck for your efforts, mate!:thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom