Head To Head Jenson Button vs Lewis Hamilton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I don't like that graph much. :)

The 2001 Benetton was a horrible car with a radical engine that was overweight and unreliable, an absolute shitbox. But nonetheless Fisi was quite a bit quicker than JB throughout the season. This was the basis of the pre-2009 naysayers - and I was one - who didn't think he was made of the right stuff. Maybe in 2001 he wasn't, but, he is now.

Ok. I'm gonna play Devils advocate here........since its a button/Hamilton thread. Could anyone provide a similar graph for Hamilton and his team mates since Hamilton joined F1? I'm an abysmal mathematician...I'm with the arts :D but I think Hamilton has scored 83% over his team mates since he joined F1 while Button has scored 61% over his team mates,a considerably better percentage here going to Hamilton. Then if we look at the quality of the team mates we see that for 67% of Hamilton's time he has been up against a world champion or higher. For 23% of Buttons time has he been up against a world champion. Just thought I'd point that out. I'll go and hide now..........................

racecub.... Depending on what metric you use, you can try and find a statistic that will always make one driver appear better than the other... For instance, Button has scored more points in a season than 2 world champions who were team mates... whilst Hamilton has only ever scored more points in a season than 1 world champion.... You see all these comparisons are garbage, and completely unnecessary

Galahad I think you're absolutely correct - people often use JB's early career as a stick to beat him with - however, I think it's worth remembering that he had an unconventional start in F1 at best, and lacked the backing that other drivers have more recently had (For instance Vettel with Red Bull)... JB certainly started in F1 before he was ready, but then had he had to stay in F3 for an additional year, he would have run out of money!

The Artist..... You're right, but Button's debut year with Williams was excellent. To be honest I've yet to hear a convincing explanation for what happened at Benetton that year. Though in 2000 there was the Wurz car...JB was only ever on loan, due to go back to Grove...good old Flav was never shy in giving his favourites their best chance to shine.

Not brilliant, nor colourful, but I believe correct :)

Attachments

• HamVSTeammate.png
    HamVSTeammate.png
    48 KB · Views: 116
Thanks KamuI-Fastest Chieften in the world :snigger: really really thank you for that post. Your name is ACE!!! But tricky to remember when posting quickly........ It's ok. I rarely post quickly. :D well actually I do, then regret it hugely :embarrassed:

Those are some beautiful charts Kamui-FastestChefInTheWorld and no-FIAt-please :thumbsup:

I particularly like the points one, which I think is more reflective. It is possible for two drivers to be very close on points but separated by a number of championship positions or to be consecutive in championship points but with a large gap in terms of points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom