Current Fernando Alonso

Suprised there's no thread (although I had one for his blogs), so i'll start off:

A double world championship vs Raikkonen and then Schumacher in 2005 and 2006 respectively elevated Alonso's status but, apparently, no one told his rookie teammate at his brand new team of a theoretical 'pecking order' the following season ... and the Spaniard was 'seen off' by the young Englishman, Hamilton, into two years of Wilderness while both Hamilton and an even younger Vettel began to make their mark through '08 and '09.

Arguably, Alonso was in the Top 3 of all the Formula One 'Aces' in the 2000s following Hakkinen's retirement - up there with either Schumacher/Raikkonen and, then, Raikkonen/Hamilton - and remains so in the early 2010s along with Hamilton/Vettel...with only Kubica knocking on the door until the Pole's horrible Rallying accident.

A question mark initially over 2004 during which Trulli lead him in the standing until the Italian fell out with ex-manager and team boss Flavio Briatore (Alonso's then business manager) under dubious circumstances after the French Grand Prix.

Another question mark is...Who has progressed more since the end of 2007: Hamilton or Alonso?

A fan. Then came the unfortunate blackmail allegations against McLaren boss Ron Dennis on the morning of the 2007 Hungarian GP which came to light at the highly costly FIA 'Spy-Gate' hearings before Spa...followed by the odour of the deliberate crashing of the Number 2 Renault car at Singapore in 2008 which lead to Alonso finishing 1st in the event and ended in the banning of Briatore and Pat Symmonds a year later.

2009 was a poor year with 'Nando's' mind likely on the prospect of Santander paving the way to better prospects at Maranello one year earlier.

2010 was a fresh start at Ferrari (who no longer had Schumacher walking through the premises regularly) but first half season mistakes ultimately cost him a title inspite of being infamously aided by a Team Orders switch w Massa at Hockenheim (which lead to more world-wide criticism).

Relatively fast, relatively consistent but prone to mistakes and a possible insecurity complex (*) based on wanting sole focus from a team and being only happy with a Number 2 in the other car running behind him. Anything else and it seemingly rattles him.

(*) This is my own personal opinion.

..and so to 2011...

He's underperformed only at Malaysia (hit Hamilton) and China (invisible while Massa challenged McLarens and Red Bulls) and, arguably, Canada...but has maximized his chances in the other 6 races culminating in the British GP win.

He said in his post-Monaco blog that 'Silverstone would be the WDC cut-off'...and so, after some major upgrades, the Ferrari looks a winner again. It might be too late for 2011 given Vettel's finishing rate...but the 2012 regs means they should keep the hammer down at Maranello.

He's signed on through to 2016...So hopes are high of a WDC at some juncture...but not yet.

Not sure how that makes any sense. Anyways could be interesting to see who drives those third seats if they do happen. My vote is Perez or Hulk at Ferrari and Vergne or Sainz at Red Bull

it is implied that Ferrari aint bothered that Kimi and Alonso battled despite knowing it meant losing out to Vettel in the driver's position who is joining Ferrari anyway

as for the 3rd Ferrari - I 'd say Hulkenberg over Perez seeing that Sergio would have been promoted to the team if they saw him as potential to do so

Red Bull would give it to Vergne not Sainz ... too young rookies in the main team is not the Red Bull way

The Artist..... He is being reconsidered for the STR seat because Vettel sudden departure which has caused Red Bull to reassess everything

It happens in F1 - some drivers were bound to have their career ended and then suddenly given a lifeline unexpectedly

The noises from within Red Bull or certainly STR are more positive than negative for Vergne so there is no way Alonso will get into 3rd Red Bull unless the team is under some sponsor pressure

Nando and Jenson would make perfect sense. They are both old boys with a wealth of experience and, one would hope, have a regard for each other's strengths - even at their vast age they could haul McLaren and Honda back into a winning formula.

The only bugbear is Ron. If he 'controls' as he used to the whole enterprise could be scuppered!

If the place was offered to JB (and he accepted), he would take lessons from Alonso on how to piss of Ron Dennis, I could even see him actively supporting an Alonso led mutiny.
:D

I think Nando has been concentrating on his racing recently!!

However, Jens's humour and Nando's activism could create an explosive formula for the grey man!! Bring it on :)

as for the 3rd Ferrari - I 'd say Hulkenberg over Perez seeing that Sergio would have been promoted to the team if they saw him as potential to do so

Red Bull would give it to Vergne not Sainz ... too young rookies in the main team is not the Red Bull way

I agree that I would take Hulk over Perez but for some reason Ferrari seem to be fond of Perez and not Nico. Also Kvyat won't be a rookie next season, and Red Bull don't want two young rookies in the junior team together, especially with one of them being as inexperienced as Verstappen. They've done it before with Alguersuari and Buemi but that proved to be stupid as they had nothing to compare them to. Vergne to stay with STR and Sainz in to the third car if it's a thing that happens. As for Ferrari Jenson's been thrown around as a possibility but I'm not sure I see it happening. Not that he isn't quick enough. Ocon would be an interesting choice.

If K Mag is struggling for race pace - Alonso is certainly not going to help him improve to beat him

Besides I thought MClaren and Honda want the best drivers available - err 2 world champions sounds very good on paper does it not ?

Piquet Jr. said that Alonso had helped him considerably. Alonso also took a chance on being done for speeding to get back to the pits in Germany so that he could congratulate Piquet Jr. for his podium.

Bill Boddy as long as Nelson returned the favour and remembered who was No 1 in the team

With K Mag - I just don't see Alonso wanting him to be too quick for comfort like his experience of Hamilton.... Alonso will find out all about K Mag and compare him to Hamilton from the Mclaren staff

Splash Two former world champions who can still mix it at the front rather than two future world champions who you really have to be patient with

Il_leone I appreciate that you have a problem with Alonso but do you really think that Piquet Jr. was anywhere near his quality? Or could it be that Alonso was working to the advantage of the team?

From what has happened this season I doubt that Magnussen will be too much of a threat. Hopefully he will improve otherwise Ron Dennis will have bad egg all over his face.

Interestingly for how little I actually like Ron Dennis, he has been on of the only team managers to consistently put two strong drivers in his cars. If you look at the driver pairings that Ron has had since he took the helm at McLaren. Watson / Lauda both race winners and a world champion, Prost / Lauda both world champions, Prost / Rosberg both world champions, Prost / Senna, again world champions, Senna / Berger both race winners, Coulthard and Hakkinen both race winners and a world champion, Montoya and Raikkonen both race winners. Even Hamilton / Alonso and Hamilton / Button were very strong pairings. There are very few teams that do that. There have been very few years where one driver has been a make weight for a single number one.

Back
Top Bottom