Current Fernando Alonso

Suprised there's no thread (although I had one for his blogs), so i'll start off:

A double world championship vs Raikkonen and then Schumacher in 2005 and 2006 respectively elevated Alonso's status but, apparently, no one told his rookie teammate at his brand new team of a theoretical 'pecking order' the following season ... and the Spaniard was 'seen off' by the young Englishman, Hamilton, into two years of Wilderness while both Hamilton and an even younger Vettel began to make their mark through '08 and '09.

Arguably, Alonso was in the Top 3 of all the Formula One 'Aces' in the 2000s following Hakkinen's retirement - up there with either Schumacher/Raikkonen and, then, Raikkonen/Hamilton - and remains so in the early 2010s along with Hamilton/Vettel...with only Kubica knocking on the door until the Pole's horrible Rallying accident.

A question mark initially over 2004 during which Trulli lead him in the standing until the Italian fell out with ex-manager and team boss Flavio Briatore (Alonso's then business manager) under dubious circumstances after the French Grand Prix.

Another question mark is...Who has progressed more since the end of 2007: Hamilton or Alonso?

A fan. Then came the unfortunate blackmail allegations against McLaren boss Ron Dennis on the morning of the 2007 Hungarian GP which came to light at the highly costly FIA 'Spy-Gate' hearings before Spa...followed by the odour of the deliberate crashing of the Number 2 Renault car at Singapore in 2008 which lead to Alonso finishing 1st in the event and ended in the banning of Briatore and Pat Symmonds a year later.

2009 was a poor year with 'Nando's' mind likely on the prospect of Santander paving the way to better prospects at Maranello one year earlier.

2010 was a fresh start at Ferrari (who no longer had Schumacher walking through the premises regularly) but first half season mistakes ultimately cost him a title inspite of being infamously aided by a Team Orders switch w Massa at Hockenheim (which lead to more world-wide criticism).

Relatively fast, relatively consistent but prone to mistakes and a possible insecurity complex (*) based on wanting sole focus from a team and being only happy with a Number 2 in the other car running behind him. Anything else and it seemingly rattles him.

(*) This is my own personal opinion.

..and so to 2011...

He's underperformed only at Malaysia (hit Hamilton) and China (invisible while Massa challenged McLarens and Red Bulls) and, arguably, Canada...but has maximized his chances in the other 6 races culminating in the British GP win.

He said in his post-Monaco blog that 'Silverstone would be the WDC cut-off'...and so, after some major upgrades, the Ferrari looks a winner again. It might be too late for 2011 given Vettel's finishing rate...but the 2012 regs means they should keep the hammer down at Maranello.

He's signed on through to 2016...So hopes are high of a WDC at some juncture...but not yet.

News is breaking that Alonso has signed with McLaren, that it is a done deal and an announcement will be made in Abu Dhabi. It is said to be the biggest deal in F1 history and will see him signed for two years with the right to renew for a third year. McLaren want him to be their star driver leading their new era with Honda. Evidently the delay in completing the deal has been due to Alonso waiting for technical assurances that they will be able to provide him with a competitive car. No word on who he will be teamed with yet.

Last edited:
When you consider the might of Honda and the history of McLaren building great F1 cars I would think they will have enough confidence to make the guarantees Alonso has asked for. We shouldn't forget it was Honda powered McLarens that carried Senna to three world titles. Yes it was a long time ago but Honda build fabulous engines, very reliable, and have been powering Indy Cars with turbocharged technology for years. The Honda engines are likely to be McLarens strength, McLaren are likely to have to work hard to provide a chassis that will do the engine justice but I'll put money on them being competitive very quickly, probably before the end of their first season back in the sport. They sure as hell won't want, or be interested in Ferrari technology, considering where Ferrari are right now.

Last edited:
They also knew this season was their last with Mercedes and no doubt have been planning ahead to their partnership with Honda and have not been able to make the advances with the Mercedes power plant they would have, had they still been long term partners. I'm not sure how long you've been a F1 fan, you appear to have no memory of McLaren's greatness. They are F1's dominant team along with Ferrari, you obviously either don't realise that or you expect a team to stay on top permanently. That never happens and sometimes it can take years to come out of a slump, but they do come out of it and then usually have another period of dominance.

MClaren have shuffled the technical team - the head of aero is now on garden leave for the Red Bull guy coming in

I think Alonso wants assurances that he will be No 1 in the team which is how Honda would perceive him to be and expect not a repeat of what happened with Williams back in 1986-87 when Mansell was challenging Piquet which was not what Honda believed was going to happen as part of the deal they made

2 years plys 1 year extension is typical Mclaren contract but it also means this is likely Alonso's last chance now and the Mercedes drive is unlikely

You've also got to remember that Brawn GP was a Honda car in all but name. They have the knowledge and the resources to win. Maybe not 2015 but certainly contenders for 2016 and beyond. Alonso definitely knows what he's doing.

Big question will be, 3 car teams or Buttons retirement.

You've also got to remember that Brawn GP was a Honda car in all but name. They have the knowledge and the resources to win. Maybe not 2015 but certainly contenders for 2016 and beyond. Alonso definitely knows what he's doing.

Big question will be, 3 car teams or Buttons retirement.

If this proves true, I wonder what odds of a Hamilton return for 2016. I know the Ham/Alonso pairing didn't work 2007 but they would be a really dynamic partnership - and they seem to respect each other a lot. Trouble would be the No1 status.

I don;t see Hamilton and Alonso working even though that is what most people would consider their ultimate fantasy F1 dream team

Brawn GP was Honda chassis with a redesigned gearbox and bigger Merc engine to compensate for KERS and gearbox. The team worked because the decision making was actually made by the people who knew what they were doing with the car not by some guy back in Japan in suit

Also it was a successful botched job that the Merc engine power married well the car chassis

The fact that it has taken so long to get the deal sorted means there has been a lot bargaining with conditions and clauses that both parties expect most importantly Alonso wants to be seen as No 1 and has Honda's full support

Kewee, I was being flippant.

I've been following F1 since 1980; and I feel there is more wishful thinking around the McLaren Honda partnership than considered thought.

No Il_leone, the delay had nothing to do with Alonso being number one, though considering your attitude towards Alonso I'm not surprised you'd throw that in, hey lets distort a report to try and discredit Alonso. Just in case you missed it, the delay was due to Alonso wanting assurances McLaren and Honda could provide him with a technically competitive package. When they stated the deal was the biggest in F1 history they weren't referring to the length of the contract, they were referring to the money involved. It appears Alonso is about to be paid more than any other driver in the sports history. I guess McLaren and Honda have a lot more respect and admiration for Fernando than you do.

Kewee

I think you should see my posts comparing him to Vettel and I am not blind to see that he is one of the top 3 on the grid and the Ferrari looks a lot better than it does because of him. Yes he still stands above Vettel in my view and this season has proved it somewhat

The way Honda work in the past is they have a preferred No 1 driver in the team - it is that reason they went with Williams believing Piquet was their man not expecting Mansell to be challenging which lead to their eventual split

When it was Mclaren Honda, Prost made noises he felt Honda was not supporting him as much as Senna and they just shrugged its how they work.

Honda would not be helping MClaren fund for Alonso's salary if they did not believe he would be No 1 ... why waste a lot of money on him and then tell him he is not No 1 . Surely then going with Button and K Mag would be a lot cheaper than what Alonso is demanding

Last edited:
Fair comment Il_leone, I don't pretend to know how much influence Honda have over how a team is run, or whether a driver has their status elevated to No 1 due to Honda's wishes, that doesn't change what has been reported. The reason for the lengthy wait for a deal with Alonso is he wanted assurances they feel confident they can provide him with a competitive car. A major part of that assurance is Honda's absolute belief they will win again, but beyond that, Alonso wanted to consider the technological package so he could consider the technology he would have to work with and whether he felt the same belief.

interesting I just heard on the highlights according to EJ Ferrari and Red Bull have been given permission to enter a 3rd car for 2015 as Marussia and Caterham will not make it hmmm the plot thickens

Can't see how they would allow Ferrari and Red Bull a third car without opening the same offer to all the teams. Two teams, (McLaren and Williams) will have plenty to say about that I would think.

There are two things that Williams are against, three car teams and customer teams. I don't think that BCE will get any help there. I am sure that Horner will be in favour of both, it will help in their search for a one car series.

Back
Top Bottom