Current Fernando Alonso

Suprised there's no thread (although I had one for his blogs), so i'll start off:

A double world championship vs Raikkonen and then Schumacher in 2005 and 2006 respectively elevated Alonso's status but, apparently, no one told his rookie teammate at his brand new team of a theoretical 'pecking order' the following season ... and the Spaniard was 'seen off' by the young Englishman, Hamilton, into two years of Wilderness while both Hamilton and an even younger Vettel began to make their mark through '08 and '09.

Arguably, Alonso was in the Top 3 of all the Formula One 'Aces' in the 2000s following Hakkinen's retirement - up there with either Schumacher/Raikkonen and, then, Raikkonen/Hamilton - and remains so in the early 2010s along with Hamilton/Vettel...with only Kubica knocking on the door until the Pole's horrible Rallying accident.

A question mark initially over 2004 during which Trulli lead him in the standing until the Italian fell out with ex-manager and team boss Flavio Briatore (Alonso's then business manager) under dubious circumstances after the French Grand Prix.

Another question mark is...Who has progressed more since the end of 2007: Hamilton or Alonso?

A fan. Then came the unfortunate blackmail allegations against McLaren boss Ron Dennis on the morning of the 2007 Hungarian GP which came to light at the highly costly FIA 'Spy-Gate' hearings before Spa...followed by the odour of the deliberate crashing of the Number 2 Renault car at Singapore in 2008 which lead to Alonso finishing 1st in the event and ended in the banning of Briatore and Pat Symmonds a year later.

2009 was a poor year with 'Nando's' mind likely on the prospect of Santander paving the way to better prospects at Maranello one year earlier.

2010 was a fresh start at Ferrari (who no longer had Schumacher walking through the premises regularly) but first half season mistakes ultimately cost him a title inspite of being infamously aided by a Team Orders switch w Massa at Hockenheim (which lead to more world-wide criticism).

Relatively fast, relatively consistent but prone to mistakes and a possible insecurity complex (*) based on wanting sole focus from a team and being only happy with a Number 2 in the other car running behind him. Anything else and it seemingly rattles him.

(*) This is my own personal opinion.

..and so to 2011...

He's underperformed only at Malaysia (hit Hamilton) and China (invisible while Massa challenged McLarens and Red Bulls) and, arguably, Canada...but has maximized his chances in the other 6 races culminating in the British GP win.

He said in his post-Monaco blog that 'Silverstone would be the WDC cut-off'...and so, after some major upgrades, the Ferrari looks a winner again. It might be too late for 2011 given Vettel's finishing rate...but the 2012 regs means they should keep the hammer down at Maranello.

He's signed on through to 2016...So hopes are high of a WDC at some juncture...but not yet.

I'm not sure I'd take everything Martin Brundle says as gospel. If his comment regarding an Alonso veto was true I would have thought it would have been all over the motorsport press. I would imagine Ferrari are wishing they had listened to Fernando and kept Massa.

Last edited:
Kewee Ferrari should be challenging for championships and in my opinion they haven't built a car that even came close to being the best on the grid since 2008, no matter how close Alonso has got to winning championships in that time.

Also, if you ignore the engines and just look at aerodynamics/mechanical grip I still think they'd be behind Red Bull and Mercedes. And what you say about Raikkonen can also be said about Vettel to some extent.

Ferrari have recruited new personnel in high positions so things might improve from now on, but considering their resources they've probably had the worst performing design team over the past 5 years in my opinion, and I don't think that's being particularly harsh.

there was a quote in Autocourse's 1984 edition that probably still holds true today:

"With the resources at their disposal Ferrari should be winning every single Grand Prix at a canter.
When they fail to win the title, it means mistakes have been made.
When the cars come close to being lapped, suffer from chronic underseer on corners' entry and want to swap ends on exit, then there is something seriously rotten in the state of Maranello."

Jen why do you take anything as a slight criticism of Alonso as hate? I sing his praises as a driver because he is brilliant. I dislike his media Flavio style mind games he plays because I think its beneth him and ludicrously obvious.

I make the Hulkenberg comment because Brundle has said on more than one occasion that he was told Alonso said no to Hulkenberg (which would make sense as Hulkenberg was about to sign a contract before they changed their mind) and Brundle is usually very reliable. Kewee Brundle is one of the few in the media who I tend to listen too as he actually has proper insider contacts.

I was just speculating that with Hulkenberg it could be that the team would be in a lot stronger position than they are now in both the constructors and car development. If he did veto Hulkenberg then maybe Fernando was wrong too. Maybe its hindered him and the team.

Because I see more anti-Nando comments than pro amongst your postings.

Perhaps 'hate' was too strong a word, more an offhand dislike.

RasputinLives I do wonder how much influence Nando has on his teammate . I guess he picked the lesser of two evils in going for Kimi

It does help his reputation he beats a recognised world champion then someone who is up and coming and opens up more questions

Plus he knows what Kimi is like to be able to deal with him

There are murmurs going around at Maranello Luca could be replaced by one of the Agnelli family for the current failings at Ferrari so could be interesting for Fernando's future

Because I see more anti-Nando comments than pro amongst your postings.

I think your more sensitive to my so called anti-nando posts. Maybe if you have time we could go back through all of them and make a pie chart to show it? Nothing like a good pie chart.

I have been accused of hating/being a fan boy of every top driver on here by one person or another. I'm sure if you jump back to the begining of this thread you'll find me debating Ray over his ridiculous put downs of Fernando.

Il_leone I don't know if its 100% true but if you were Fernando would you want some up and coming youngster coming into the team after what happened last time.

I would suggest though that beating Kimi this year will not enhance Alonso's rep in the slightest. Kimi is a shadow of what he used to be and everyone knew Alonso was pure class before this anyways.

RasputinLives It is less risky because Kimi is a world champ and finished in the top 3 the two years he came back whereas no one knows Hulkenberg's full potential - see Ricciardo vs Vettel

If Alonso beat Kimi its because it confirms he was and still is the best driver whereas if Kimi beat Alonso - people will think that is because he is the Iceman who could deal with Alonso's mind games and politics better than other drivers

RasputinLives Everyone expects him to beat Kimi... but if he did not then people will say Kimi was Ice Cool

Alonso can't afford to lose to someone who is considered part of the next generation of top drivers and rated highly in the paddock... that would devalue his stock considerably more than if he lost to Kimi

that would be seen as the queue by Luca to tell Alonso to surrender his No 1 status

Last edited:
Ferrari sure as hell better do what Alonso says, he's dragging them onto the podium without much help from the design team. Without him they'd probably be fighting with McLaren for 5th. Nobody can fault Alonso for saying no to Hulkenberg though. They got Kimi, who was ace the last two years with Lotus. Nobody expected him to be this bad.

59-7 though.

For the uninitiated, (broadly) there are 3 points awarded for every race win, 2 for a qualifying win and 1 for a fastest lap, and Kimi has picked up 7 points all season. That's probably even worse than even FB expected!

To be honest I thought Ferrari would sack Kimi before the seasons end, before the season started, but I really didn't expect him to be as woeful as he has been. Unless Fernando really is that good.

Last edited:
Much, much better, as he will take the whole team points on board, as well as his own.

Edit: I think Nando hoped Kimi would increase points earning power for Ferarri and, maybe, help him in the race for WDC.

I'm disappointed with Kimi - as far as I can see he hasn't even tried.

Last edited:
RasputinLives

Well were not everyone saying Perez was a future Ferrari driver in 2012 and it appears Luca saw or heard something about him and did not rate him

I think Alonso would have killed his career

As for Bianchi - not really any comparison with Chilton although the two have been close this season but I don't expect him to trouble Alonso

On raw potential alone, I still believe Alonso and Hamilton are the best two drivers in the business.
And again on raw potential, I suspect they still view each other as their biggest rival.

Back
Top Bottom