Current Fernando Alonso

Suprised there's no thread (although I had one for his blogs), so i'll start off:

A double world championship vs Raikkonen and then Schumacher in 2005 and 2006 respectively elevated Alonso's status but, apparently, no one told his rookie teammate at his brand new team of a theoretical 'pecking order' the following season ... and the Spaniard was 'seen off' by the young Englishman, Hamilton, into two years of Wilderness while both Hamilton and an even younger Vettel began to make their mark through '08 and '09.

Arguably, Alonso was in the Top 3 of all the Formula One 'Aces' in the 2000s following Hakkinen's retirement - up there with either Schumacher/Raikkonen and, then, Raikkonen/Hamilton - and remains so in the early 2010s along with Hamilton/Vettel...with only Kubica knocking on the door until the Pole's horrible Rallying accident.

A question mark initially over 2004 during which Trulli lead him in the standing until the Italian fell out with ex-manager and team boss Flavio Briatore (Alonso's then business manager) under dubious circumstances after the French Grand Prix.

Another question mark is...Who has progressed more since the end of 2007: Hamilton or Alonso?

A fan. Then came the unfortunate blackmail allegations against McLaren boss Ron Dennis on the morning of the 2007 Hungarian GP which came to light at the highly costly FIA 'Spy-Gate' hearings before Spa...followed by the odour of the deliberate crashing of the Number 2 Renault car at Singapore in 2008 which lead to Alonso finishing 1st in the event and ended in the banning of Briatore and Pat Symmonds a year later.

2009 was a poor year with 'Nando's' mind likely on the prospect of Santander paving the way to better prospects at Maranello one year earlier.

2010 was a fresh start at Ferrari (who no longer had Schumacher walking through the premises regularly) but first half season mistakes ultimately cost him a title inspite of being infamously aided by a Team Orders switch w Massa at Hockenheim (which lead to more world-wide criticism).

Relatively fast, relatively consistent but prone to mistakes and a possible insecurity complex (*) based on wanting sole focus from a team and being only happy with a Number 2 in the other car running behind him. Anything else and it seemingly rattles him.

(*) This is my own personal opinion.

..and so to 2011...

He's underperformed only at Malaysia (hit Hamilton) and China (invisible while Massa challenged McLarens and Red Bulls) and, arguably, Canada...but has maximized his chances in the other 6 races culminating in the British GP win.

He said in his post-Monaco blog that 'Silverstone would be the WDC cut-off'...and so, after some major upgrades, the Ferrari looks a winner again. It might be too late for 2011 given Vettel's finishing rate...but the 2012 regs means they should keep the hammer down at Maranello.

He's signed on through to 2016...So hopes are high of a WDC at some juncture...but not yet.

Truth is he is but it opens all sorts of implications if every time he's behind Massa he just has to get out of the way. Try overtaking him Fernando and prove you are "the most complete driver on the grid".

If you take Fernando at face value and believe that he truly gave up on attacking Button with 2 laps to go, why would he choose to say "I give up, I give up" over the radio?

Was he that proud of the stint that caught him up to the pack battling for P2?

In Fernando's interview he seemed completely sincere that he did indeed "give up" hope for another position, but Brundle thought it was a message to Ferrari while the SPEED announcers figured it was a ruse to get Button to drop his guard.

Any thoughts?

If you take Fernando at face value and believe that he truly gave up on attacking Button with 2 laps to go, why would he choose to say "I give up, I give up" over the radio?

Was he that proud of the stint that caught him up to the pack battling for P2?

In Fernando's interview he seemed completely sincere that he did indeed "give up" hope for another position, but Brundle thought it was a message to Ferrari while the SPEED announcers figured it was a ruse to get Button to drop his guard.

Any thoughts?

Speed commentators may make excuses for Fernando when he said, " I give up " and hardly would have given that same cosideration to Lewis, especially Steve Matchett.

I believe him as well. But what was the point of broadcasting that message to the world?

Not something you expect to hear from many racers. They may do it, but not necessarily admit to it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Do teams get advanced warning on which pit-radio conversations are chosen for TV broadcast ?
Not sure how all that whole thing works actually.

I think Fernando was being genuine. I certainly don't believe it was some sort of ploy. I think he'd just buggered himself out pushing the car so hard for so long.

Ever been for a long run and just feel like you can;t go a step further and get to the point where you're going "I can't do it!" then you look up and see the finish line and find it in your somewhere just to push yourself until you get there? Well I reckon that was all that was rather than some deep frustration with Ferrari. Brundle has decided Alonso was going to be annoyed with Ferrari before the race anyway.

It was either that or he was talking about his jellybean addiction

Leaving the Alonso radio thingy aside, I don't know if it's the internet age or something, but there seems to be a culture these days among punters and fans alike of always wanting to detect some kind of huge story in the most mundane spur-of-the-moment soundbites.

No, it's entirely up to FOM and how much controversy they want to stir up.

Exactly, it's obvious that the FOM didn't want any controversy. It seems according to Mark Hughes that earlier in the race, radio traffic picked up Alonso insisting that he was faster than Massa. So maybe another example of Bob Smedely saying to Felipe that, " Fernando was faster than you " and Fernando's later reply to the pitwall, " This is ridiculous " was avoided. Alonso also maybe adding the cry of, " I give up " in the same race.......I wonder what the general reaction of the fans, might have been?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/formula_one/15338202.stm

Perhaps it was simply a case of Ferrari deciding that, since there was no longer anything to fight for in this year's WDC/WCC, they should just let them race? With the possible public/media backlash if they had ordered Massa to move over (given there was little to play for in the grand scheme of things) at the back of their minds?:thinking:

Back
Top Bottom