Current Fernando Alonso

Suprised there's no thread (although I had one for his blogs), so i'll start off:

A double world championship vs Raikkonen and then Schumacher in 2005 and 2006 respectively elevated Alonso's status but, apparently, no one told his rookie teammate at his brand new team of a theoretical 'pecking order' the following season ... and the Spaniard was 'seen off' by the young Englishman, Hamilton, into two years of Wilderness while both Hamilton and an even younger Vettel began to make their mark through '08 and '09.

Arguably, Alonso was in the Top 3 of all the Formula One 'Aces' in the 2000s following Hakkinen's retirement - up there with either Schumacher/Raikkonen and, then, Raikkonen/Hamilton - and remains so in the early 2010s along with Hamilton/Vettel...with only Kubica knocking on the door until the Pole's horrible Rallying accident.

A question mark initially over 2004 during which Trulli lead him in the standing until the Italian fell out with ex-manager and team boss Flavio Briatore (Alonso's then business manager) under dubious circumstances after the French Grand Prix.

Another question mark is...Who has progressed more since the end of 2007: Hamilton or Alonso?

A fan. Then came the unfortunate blackmail allegations against McLaren boss Ron Dennis on the morning of the 2007 Hungarian GP which came to light at the highly costly FIA 'Spy-Gate' hearings before Spa...followed by the odour of the deliberate crashing of the Number 2 Renault car at Singapore in 2008 which lead to Alonso finishing 1st in the event and ended in the banning of Briatore and Pat Symmonds a year later.

2009 was a poor year with 'Nando's' mind likely on the prospect of Santander paving the way to better prospects at Maranello one year earlier.

2010 was a fresh start at Ferrari (who no longer had Schumacher walking through the premises regularly) but first half season mistakes ultimately cost him a title inspite of being infamously aided by a Team Orders switch w Massa at Hockenheim (which lead to more world-wide criticism).

Relatively fast, relatively consistent but prone to mistakes and a possible insecurity complex (*) based on wanting sole focus from a team and being only happy with a Number 2 in the other car running behind him. Anything else and it seemingly rattles him.

(*) This is my own personal opinion.

..and so to 2011...

He's underperformed only at Malaysia (hit Hamilton) and China (invisible while Massa challenged McLarens and Red Bulls) and, arguably, Canada...but has maximized his chances in the other 6 races culminating in the British GP win.

He said in his post-Monaco blog that 'Silverstone would be the WDC cut-off'...and so, after some major upgrades, the Ferrari looks a winner again. It might be too late for 2011 given Vettel's finishing rate...but the 2012 regs means they should keep the hammer down at Maranello.

He's signed on through to 2016...So hopes are high of a WDC at some juncture...but not yet.

One could argue it's because Webber and Hamilton have been faltering in many of the races this season, so it's not surprising that he's up there.

That's what I'd argue.

The Ferrari could have won Monaco and Canada (ALO-MAS were 2nd-3rd on the grid - their BEST qualifying of the year) but Alonso was beaten by Vettel's decision to drive 50 laps on those tyres...and he then got 0 points in Canada as a result of a tangle with the eventual race winner.

Ferrari fans are happier now with Fernando driving for them than they were when Kimi drove for them.

That's nice! :D

Good for the Tifosi! :)

Shame there aren't any Championship trophies to go with their love for Nando. :snigger:

Completely different situations Ray and I know you know that. if Kimi or anyone else had been int he Ferrari of the last 2 years the results would have been no better at all. In fact I'll go as far to say that they wouldn't have been anywhere near the 2010 world championship.

Judging by "Mr.Flawless's" mistakes in the first half of 2010 and the other title drivers I think Kimi or any other top driver could have been in the title hunt, plus +7 points, and your team-mate being told to pull over only being 20 points or so behind does help, if it was another driver in Alonso's position I fairly doubt Ferrari would have told Massa to move over...

Kimi couldn't even beat Massa so how you conclude he's have taken the title in the Ferrari last year I have no idea

I said any top line driver in Alonso's position, the reason why Alonso lost the title was due to his first half of the season being quite poor when the car was really good, I have not seen that many mistakes in the first half of the season from a title contender.

All Vettels mistakes came in the first half of the season.

Anyways back to Alonso. He's had 2 good years at Ferrari and its only going to get better as far as I can see. Sly we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one because we obviously see things from a different point of view. Ray - I know Alonso could come from a lap down with 10 laps to go to win the GP and you'd still find a reason why its not good enough so I take your opinion on everything Ferrari and Alonso wise with a massive pinch of salt

Don't you the mean the 2nd fifth of the season? or the fifth sixteenth?

There's a first bit of the season, then there's a middle, then there's the end :p

Hungary and Spa, are around in the middle, or the end whichever you take it, not the "1st"

Why are we talking about this anyway this has gone off track :s

Curious to see Nando out-qualified by Felipe on the two "most challenging driver's circuits in the world". Spa and now Suzuka.

Curious.

I'm sure Nando will be hoping that their (Ferrari's) strategy of whipping up Massa-Hamilton into some sort of media frenzy and 'circus' post-Singapore will pay dividends into turn 1.

Who knows...perhaps the Row 2 protagonists will make it easier for Alonso. Hamilton will want to avoid contact with Felipe' at all costs...and Felipe may just want to show Hamilton what he's (Felipe's) made of.

It could play into Nando's hands. Plus he's on the clean side.

We'll know in about 5-and-a-half hours!

Exciting! :)

What we know now is that Alonso was second

Indeed.

Congratulations to Alonso for finishing 2nd.

The Safety Car helped him otherwise he would have finished 3rd behind Vettel ... but it was a very good result nonetheless. So, congrats to him.

As i've mentioned before, insiders - as fas back as August - were known to have said that Ferrari would "walk" Suzuka. They didn't "walk" it but they obviously knew something about the way the 150 Italia would handle this circuit's configuration and it's track surface because today was their best showing since Germany.

In addition, Martin Brundle mentioned that Vettel did tell him on the grid "don't forget about Ferrari". So, it does seem that car - even if it was 3rd best - wasn't a 'far off' 3rd best and was a genuine threat. (Both Ferraris out-qualified Webber.)

PS

Gotta love how Felipe' just let Nando sail past him without so much as a look! ;)

(I suppose Felipe' was having yet another good look into Lewis' cockpit at racing speeds instead! Hehe) :snigger:

The Safety Car helped him otherwise he would have finished 3rd behind Vettel ... but it was a very good result nonetheless. So, congrats to him.

Well Vettel had his race saved by the red flag at Monaco, today it was Alonso's turn to get a helping hand.

....In addition, Martin Brundle mentioned that Vettel did tell him on the grid "don't forget about Ferrari". So, it does seem that car - even if it was 3rd best - wasn't a 'far off' 3rd best and was a genuine threat. (Both Ferraris out-qualified Webber.)

And both Ferrari's were out-qualified by Vettel, Button and Hamilton. They outrank one Webber in any card game.:)

Well, Vettel had track position at Monaco and that trumps anything in any card game at any circuit. Pirelli said Vettel's tyres were fine and he had it covered at Monaco.

Regardless, I did congratulate Alonso for 2nd and did say that it was a very good result inspite of the SC helping Vettel lose 2nd.

I'm sure, however, that Seb won't be losing sleep over it tonight.

Also, the Ferraris may be the "third fastest car" of 2011 on average but they weren't fully the "third fastest car" in the Japanese Grand Prix. They were supposed to "walk" Suzuka and even Massa tried to over-take Hamilton.

Usually it's the other way around with Hamilton trying to over-take Massa (Monaco, last lap Silverstone, Singapore). This is an indication that the Ferraris were either there or there abouts and weren't neccessarily the "third fastest car" at this race.

It was more about how the chassis worked the tyres and about how the drivers managed the chassis-tyre dynamic than the out-right speed of the car... though, if you look at pure outright terminal speed, Alonso's Ferrari was fastest through the speed trap by a good margin. It was also fastest in the last sector.

It was even faster with DRS closed than the RBR with it's DRS open!

Thank goodness Button won. Otherwise i'd never hear the end of it! ;)

Well, Vettel had track position at Monaco and that trumps anything in any card game at any circuit. Pirelli said Vettel's tyres were fine and he had it covered at Monaco.

Including the Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve?

Also, the Ferraris may be the "third fastest car" of 2011 on average but they weren't fully the "third fastest car" in the Japanese Grand Prix.
What does "not fully" mean? Yes, they had the fastest car in a straight line but that does not necessarily mean lap speed. Vettel is usually well down the field on maximum speed. Ferrari were third fastest on race speed.

They were supposed to "walk" Suzuka

Source?

and even Massa tried to over-take Hamilton.

Usually it's the other way around with Hamilton trying to over-take Massa (Monaco, last lap Silverstone, Singapore). This is an indication that the Ferraris were either there or there abouts and weren't neccessarily the "third fastest car" at this race.

Hamilton was due to pit for fresh tyres as his were worn down. Massa was on tyres which were three laps younger. Also Hamilton has since admitted that he had an awful race, not being able to get any grip.

It was more about how the chassis worked the tyres and about how the drivers managed the chassis-tyre dynamic than the out-right speed of the car... though, if you look at pure outright terminal speed, Alonso's Ferrari was fastest through the speed trap by a good margin. It was also fastest in the last sector.

I'm pleased that you agree that Alonso managed his car and tyres so well, probably better than any other driver.

It was even faster with DRS closed than the RBR with it's DRS open!

We covered that above.

Thank goodness Button won. Otherwise i'd never hear the end of it! ;)

Only if you had come on here with your normal anti-Alonso posts. You seem to have some problem admitting his driving qualities, indeed you have shown elsewhere on here that you seem to have a problem with Latins in general. Why is this?

Only if you had come on here with your normal anti-Alonso posts. You seem to have some problem admitting his driving qualities, indeed you have shown elsewhere on here that you seem to have a problem with Latins in general. Why is this?

Not like me to jump to Ray's defence but its not an issue of nationality or race. Ray just has a bit of a anti-Ferrari/Schumacher stance after the whole Kimi thing.

He loves Alonso really though and did congratualte him....in his own way.....and thats as good as your gonna get so I'd take it with a smile and give him a thumbs up! lol

Alonso confirmed that Massa wasn't really holding him up in the first two stints at Korea:

"At the start, I was struggling a bit to match the pace of the leaders, because, after just a few laps, the super softs were already producing a lot of understeer. On top of that, being in traffic all the time compromised still further the tyre performance, because there was less aerodynamic downforce. When we switched to the softs, the situation improved significantly and, with a clear track, I was able to push as hard as I could."

The "traffic" Nando was referring to was Webber right ahead of Massa in the 1st stint ...and then Rosberg right ahead of Massa in the 2nd stint. Both stints were on the dreaded Super Softs.

He was lucky that he avoided Schumacher being wiped out by Petrov (who'd just past Nando before misjudging his breaking into Schuey). So, that saved him from having to fight Schuey/Petrov...and he was also saved by the SC which helped him close in on Rosberg and Massa again without using up those Super Softs too much.

This was still on his second stint and once they both got by Rosberg, Massa actually pulled out...so this idea that Massa held up Alonso isn't correct...and Nando confirmed it.

So I don't know why Brundle and Coulthard were equating the "I give up" line to Massa not getting a radio message.

It would be nice if the BBC commentators didn't automatically assume that Felipe's to simply move over or that Nando would be in a tizzy just because he wasn't able to get by Felipe'.

Sometimes a teammate will just be plain faster over a stint and that's the long and short of it.

Fernando needs to start qualifying ahead of Felipe' again, though. That's now 4 races from the last 6 meetings that he's been out-qualified by the Number 2 ... and this time he even had use of the new front wing upgrade that the Number 2 car didn't have.

I'm sure his fans won't have to worry about him being "held up" by Felipe' if he starts ahead and stays ahead into the first set of corners.

Back
Top Bottom