Current Fernando Alonso

Suprised there's no thread (although I had one for his blogs), so i'll start off:

A double world championship vs Raikkonen and then Schumacher in 2005 and 2006 respectively elevated Alonso's status but, apparently, no one told his rookie teammate at his brand new team of a theoretical 'pecking order' the following season ... and the Spaniard was 'seen off' by the young Englishman, Hamilton, into two years of Wilderness while both Hamilton and an even younger Vettel began to make their mark through '08 and '09.

Arguably, Alonso was in the Top 3 of all the Formula One 'Aces' in the 2000s following Hakkinen's retirement - up there with either Schumacher/Raikkonen and, then, Raikkonen/Hamilton - and remains so in the early 2010s along with Hamilton/Vettel...with only Kubica knocking on the door until the Pole's horrible Rallying accident.

A question mark initially over 2004 during which Trulli lead him in the standing until the Italian fell out with ex-manager and team boss Flavio Briatore (Alonso's then business manager) under dubious circumstances after the French Grand Prix.

Another question mark is...Who has progressed more since the end of 2007: Hamilton or Alonso?

A fan. Then came the unfortunate blackmail allegations against McLaren boss Ron Dennis on the morning of the 2007 Hungarian GP which came to light at the highly costly FIA 'Spy-Gate' hearings before Spa...followed by the odour of the deliberate crashing of the Number 2 Renault car at Singapore in 2008 which lead to Alonso finishing 1st in the event and ended in the banning of Briatore and Pat Symmonds a year later.

2009 was a poor year with 'Nando's' mind likely on the prospect of Santander paving the way to better prospects at Maranello one year earlier.

2010 was a fresh start at Ferrari (who no longer had Schumacher walking through the premises regularly) but first half season mistakes ultimately cost him a title inspite of being infamously aided by a Team Orders switch w Massa at Hockenheim (which lead to more world-wide criticism).

Relatively fast, relatively consistent but prone to mistakes and a possible insecurity complex (*) based on wanting sole focus from a team and being only happy with a Number 2 in the other car running behind him. Anything else and it seemingly rattles him.

(*) This is my own personal opinion.

..and so to 2011...

He's underperformed only at Malaysia (hit Hamilton) and China (invisible while Massa challenged McLarens and Red Bulls) and, arguably, Canada...but has maximized his chances in the other 6 races culminating in the British GP win.

He said in his post-Monaco blog that 'Silverstone would be the WDC cut-off'...and so, after some major upgrades, the Ferrari looks a winner again. It might be too late for 2011 given Vettel's finishing rate...but the 2012 regs means they should keep the hammer down at Maranello.

He's signed on through to 2016...So hopes are high of a WDC at some juncture...but not yet.

Button would last longer than Alonso given how quickly Fernando has a moment of madness and makes an ill timed decision

Having said that MClaren are in their longest winless streak is something that Alonso will probably point out to Mclaren and Honda to get themselves sorted

If Red Bull get Honda engines then it will not help Mclaren at all due to the fact that the Red Bull will stick them in the car and continually be in the top 10 whilst Mclaren will still be trundling around at the back.

I do not believe for a second that the Honda engine is the only issue with that car. I don't Fernando does either hence why he's has no passion left for the racing and wants to retire from races at every oppotunity he gets.

Now off course it won't solve all of Mclaren's problems especially if its chassis related but it would get to the root of the problems much faster with the Honda and make up the power deficit.

Honda are mad at the moment saying they are not going to recruit people from outside to help them get to the front even someone like Ross Brawn would be invaluable and Red Bull have got a lot of clever engineers potentially to utilise.

I know Honda have a history of giving latest engines to one team as they've shown they can't operate as well giving it to two but seriously what else can Alonso do apart from basically visit the Honda plant each day and keep a close eye on them

If Red Bull get Honda engines then it will spell the end for Alonso and Mclaren. Red Bull will do a better job with ti than Mclaren so Alonso will not be happy about that, he'll probably try and land a Red Bull drive, they won't want him but by this time he'll have burnt his bridges with Mclaren who will take the stand of "Well we've got Vandoorne anyway".

Still F1's loss will be WEC's gain.

That is what Ron Dennis fears probably. Alonso has burnt a lot of bridges and Red Bull don;t need him but not sure how Honda view him. If he is like Senna like some demi God then they could be influence where he moves.

That depends if Honda can have that influence or not given it what they thought they had with Wiliams and Piquet and Mclaren with Senna.

Red Bull don;t have any world champions in their team and how much would this be important to Honda to show they mean business. I would think Kyvat would make way for Alonso but Red Bull are unlike over F1 teams in that in their own right they have a lot of power

I doubt it very much. Red Bull's policy has always been to bring up drivers from within their own programs. I don't see how switching engine suppliers would alter that policy.

If the Honda engine proves very good and Red Bull don;t have any world champions . Would Honda have leverage to Red Bull to demand a world champion if they want the engines ?

well lets see how Nando gets on for the last two races apparently he's never been outscored by his teammate

It seems Red Bull or should I say Dietrich is pretty adamant he does not want the current Honda engine

When did Marques ever score WDC points?! :o

sorry, my memory doesn't serve me well. Marques did better than Alonso but neither one of them score a point

2001_zps3mhfzedf.png

I personally think Alonso has matured a lot over the years.
At the moment he's hanging around F1 circuits earning money, and still driving. Yes I know it's an inferior car, but it has to beat hanging around F1 circuits and commentating, like so many others.
They are all F1 drivers, none of them want to go, ( in what other profession do they have to retire so young )
If he can blag his way into another drive, then I say, go for it.

Back
Top Bottom