Branson backs calls for blue flag ban

One could argue that it's down to over zealous stewarding at certain circuits (obviously not Singapore cos they were shocking)

But don't the drivers now have a blue light in the cockpit that also notifies them that a faster car is rapidly approaching their position? Isn't that then down to whomever controls the lights?

Oh come on, it's part of racing.

We would all laugh if Premier League teams in the relegation zone, said it was unfair if stronger teams were allowed to score too many goals against them in matches.

Just make a faster car, or get out of the kitchen.....

ATL11 said:
I'm sure they would if they could.

Unfortunately with all the restrictions and lack of in-season testing, it is extremely difficult for new teams to compete with teams who have 20 years experience and state of the art facilities and simulators.

A point I made many months ago and which has been borne out.

I think Branson has a point, I have no problems with a flag warning a driver of a faster car but I never thought they should be compelled to sacrifice their own race to allow the faster cars through.

Considering that next year, the cars will likely be closer together in terms of pace, maybe it could lead to some interesting strategy for the leaders of not only managing the gap behind but also the one in front to avoid the risk of not being able to force their way past; would the top 10 look at 2 or 3 stopping to avoid catching a Virgin or HRT.

As for it being dangerous, tosh, its a dangerous sport and while I am not advocating danger for dangers sake, their comes a point that you cannot wrap the drivers in cotton wool; the danger would be no greater than in a Trulli (or this season a Rosberg/Kubica) train with cars simultaneously defending and attacking.

BlackCountryBob said:
I think Branson has a point, I have no problems with a flag warning a driver of a faster car but I never thought they should be compelled to sacrifice their own race to allow the faster cars through.

Considering that next year, the cars will likely be closer together in terms of pace, maybe it could lead to some interesting strategy for the leaders of not only managing the gap behind but also the one in front to avoid the risk of not being able to force their way past; would the top 10 look at 2 or 3 stopping to avoid catching a Virgin or HRT.

As for it being dangerous, tosh, its a dangerous sport and while I am not advocating danger for dangers sake, their comes a point that you cannot wrap the drivers in cotton wool; the danger would be no greater than in a Trulli (or this season a Rosberg/Kubica) train with cars simultaneously defending and attacking.

Sorry Bob, but I think if slower teams are sacrificing their race as a result of the rules I think the application of the rules should be the first port of call.

To change the rules based on an assumption of future performance is maybe getting carts and horses mixed up - currently the air disruption caused by an F1 car increases performance margin required for overtaking, in the event that performance gets closer then the end of the race will be a train, led by the slowest car in the field, is that a suitable direction for F1 to target?

Every time I read any point on this thread I get the phrase "dumbing down" echoing through my head - does F1 stand for dumbing down, should we all wait for the fat kid?

GeoffP said:
To change the rules based on an assumption of future performance is maybe getting carts and horses mixed up - currently the air disruption caused by an F1 car increases performance margin required for overtaking, in the event that performance gets closer then the end of the race will be a train, led by the slowest car in the field, is that a suitable direction for F1 to target?

Thats what would happen with this years car but next year the DD's are no longer on the car and with the reduced disruption caused by F1 cars there (hopefully) shouldn't be the same problems overtaking that we have encountered for the last few seasons.

does F1 stand for dumbing down, should we all wait for the fat kid?

The current rules are stopping the 'fat kids' from showing their true potential as everytime a faster car comes within a few seconds of them they are forced to slow down and let them by.

I'm sure Brogan will have the stats for this but is there a huge amount of difference between the new teams qualifying times and their fastest laps in the race? I know they are qualifying within 1.5 seconds of the midfield but do the race laps show the same gap or have Branson and Fernandes got a point?

Brogan said:
ATL11 said:
I'm sure they would if they could.

Unfortunately with all the restrictions and lack of in-season testing, it is extremely difficult for new teams to compete with teams who have 20 years experience and state of the art facilities and simulators.

A point I made many months ago and which has been borne out.

Must admit I do miss the testing news we used to see? Why can't we have 2 mid season test sessions after 6/7 races, even at the same track as the last GP on the Monday & Tuesday?

Back
Top Bottom