Audi to potentially join F1 in 2016 - is there light at the end of the tunnel for the sport?

So for the sake of tradition do we advocate Audi Jordan and Minardi Toro Rosso, or if they change engine Minardi Red Bull, along with Stewart Red Bull and Tyrell Mercedes? The original name always included.which ever way round?

Why would they have to buy a facility to build the cars. Audi has been designing and building winning racecars for ages at their own facility. Does it not have the capacity to handle the extra work?

I don't remember any really successful F1 team in the last 40 years that was not based in England except Ferrari, and at their most successful in the Schumacher era did have UK factory for body and chassis design and construction. Not saying Audi/Porche/VW can't do it, but history says that possibly it's not the best way to go.

Or could it be the start of German-based teams shifting the base to the Fatherland? VW based there to start, Mercedes moving in the next couple of years when it's time for a new wind tunnel facility? Who nows?
Certainly not me.

Looking up about the brands VAG, or Volkswagen Group to give them their proper name, owns, I was surprised to see they own Ducati (came along with Lamborghini) and 20% of Suzuki. Anyway, Lambo or Bugatti on the F1 grid would be interesting. They also still own the rights to the Auto Union name...

I never said Mercedes and Brawn haven't achieved anything, it's OK for Mercedes to some extent because they have a name as a car maker and a history in motorsport that goes back to the legendary battles of the 20's and 30's. Brawn will be a pub quiz question to name the only team to spend one year in F1 and win a world title. Any team can buy a ready made starter F1 kit by taking up another team. Some teams manage to make more of a success of it than the previous outfit. Benetton almost certainly being the first team to do this.

What your saying is, it's absolutely fine for VW to come into the sport now, buy up Williams and if they win the title next year it's hooray VW and where would we all have been without you? No, no and thrice No !!!

I agree, it's the way of modern F1 but in my opinion it's the wrong way. That was my original point. It should not be a franchise sport. We should be genuinely excited about the worlds largest motoring company joining

Last edited:
I agree with your points and what would be a bigger achievement is if VW come on board, start from scratch and become the 1st dedicated constructor to win a title after starting with nothing since McLaren.

However they have a tough job ahead of them, the more logical route for them is building up from an existing franchise.

Last edited:
To build F1 from the beginning nowadays is very costly investment and will take years to recuperate the money invested and can prove to be a disaster just ask Toyota the biggest car maker in the world

It is not just throwing about simply throwing money to get success .. you need the right people behind to manage and make it work together in the right areas

Well, this one has taken on a new life.

Bernie in his interview with the BBC at the weekend said that he had not been told he was an impediment to VW-Audi joining F1 and if he was then he would step down.

VW-Audi board have now released an internal report that states there is an appetitie within the company to join F1, but they will not do so as long as Bernie is in control.

Lets see who shoots themselves in the foot next shall we :popcorn:

Ferdinand Piech has been ousted as chairman of the VW group. He has been probably the biggest opponent of VW or subsidiaries entering F1 for the last 20 years so could be interesting to see if things change.

If the VW Group were to enter into F1, under what name would they do so? Audi and Porsche are names more associated with sportscars, Lamborghini, Bentley, Bugatti and VW aren't strongly associated with any type of racing anymore.

They would have to balance the gain of brand exposure against the risk of failure. VW are closely associated with every day cars so I don't see how F1 would be a good brand fit. Just ask Peugeot.

Last edited:
I can't see how it would make sense to enter under Audi or Porsche, as failure could undo the near-legendary status those marques have acquired from their exploits in endurance racing.

Maybe Bugatti would be the viable way to go, since each of their road cars costs about as much as a quarter-season of F1!;)

Back
Top Bottom