Ask The Apex

Anyway here's another one.

Are there any dispensations in place preventing a driver and his team from getting disqualified after a race if not enough fuel remained in the tank to provide for a regulatory post-race sample if this was caused by a technical problem during the race causing excessive fuel consumption (say, a minor oil leak overworking the engine and increasing consumption)?

I presume you mean which side of the grid pole is starting from HammydiRestarules? Don't think so without agreement of the stewards and all of the teams as it has a knock on effect down the whole grid as well as cocking up all the sensors built into the track these days.

To be fair teabagyokel I think changing switching pole at Suzuka would have set a precedent because as far as I know that had never been done before. I remember back in those days some trcks like Estoril where pole was situated at on the side of the grid that was particularly dirty, where cars never drove through at any point over the Grand Prix week-end, and the pole-sitter at Estoril would invariably lose the lead at the start of each race there.
Which leads me on to my next question: did the switching of the pole side become widespread on tracks with a big grip difference from left to right after Suzuka 1990, or had it ever happened before?

OK I haven't been very clear there so let me re-phrase that. Had there ever been an instance of pole-position being moved on the eve of a race before 1990?

Back
Top Bottom