Ask The Apex

I regularly hear about the sway Ferrari hold over the sport, and I understand they have a veto in rule setting, but can anyone tell me when or if this has been used? It seems to be a stick with which to beat the team, but I cannot recall a point at which this power has been used. Can anybody think of any instances?

I understand they have a veto in rule setting, but can anyone tell me when or if this has been used?

This isn't something the FIA likes to publicize. When all the breakaway series talk was in full swing, this revelation came as a bit of a surprise to quite a few "insiders" as well.

Which car produced more overall downforce, the 2008 cars or 2009 cars?

Also which front wings produced the most downforce, the 2008 front wings or the 2009 - 2012 front wings?

What is the record for the most consecutive Grands Prix won by different drivers? Not necessarily in one season.

Which car produced more overall downforce, the 2008 cars or 2009 cars?

Also which front wings produced the most downforce, the 2008 front wings or the 2009 - 2012 front wings?

2008 spec had more downforce I believe due to the winglets that covered the sidepods. 2009 wings had more downforce. 2009 were faster because of the slick tyres.

I seem to recall that the overall downforce from 08 into 09 went down, some of which was to do with the height of the front wing, and various other regulations about a neutral central section. The Brawn car I believe was the only car in testing which was able to lap faster than the 08 cars, although I could be wrong on that.

I don't think this warrants its own thread so I'll stick it here. I was under the impression that all radio transmissions during the race weekend (or at least qualifying/race) should be in English. I'm not sure whether this is an official or unspoken rule, or me making things up in my head?

Anyway, the point is that the sneaky guys at Ferrari were chatting away to Alonso in Spanish during the race so McLaren et. al. couldn't listen to their strategy plans (as commented on by Brundle during the race)! Should Ferrari have a slap on the wrist? Not that it makes much difference anyway, since we're constantly hearing "Lewis, we're switching to plan B" (though last weekend they miraculously stuck with Plan A!).

They did it last year too, but Red Bull where able to crack it.

Don't see why they should have to speak English.

One thing that annoys me, is the radio transmissions that give away strategies to everyone it shouldn't be allowed and can act as an unfair advantage. Quite unsportsmanlike. :(

Yeah I agree with you in the regard. I'm pretty certain that being able to speak fluent English is a requirement for being an F1 driver, and I just had a feeling that I heard something about radio transmissions as well somewhere.

When did parade/formation laps start?
If we are talking about racing as a whole, I'm inclined to think it must have been Indy 500. There are people that mention the GP de Provence of 1927 as the first time it was documented that there was a formation lap. The 1976 Dutch GP seems to be the first time the warm-up lap is oficially done before the proper race. It's a really dificult question ton answer I suppose :thinking:

Cheers Olivier & tooncheese

:thumbsup:

Anyway, the point is that the sneaky guys at Ferrari were chatting away to Alonso in Spanish during the race so McLaren et. al. couldn't listen to their strategy plans

They were chatting away in Italian ;)

As far as I'm aware there's no rule written or spoken that says they must use English it just happens to be lingua franca of the paddock espeshally when you have, for example a Japanese driver in a Swiss team

I don't see why more people don't speak in other languages. Its obviously a slight advantage because if not we wouldn't be talking about it. Somewhat on topic, in the Tour de France last year the Schleck brothers started chatting away in Luxembourgish on the Col du Galibier so that Cadel Evans and Contador couldn't understand. Its a much better code than Italian!

I do it at work if I'm on the phone to my brother, I start chatting away in Welsh and it's amazing that people then start to try and listen more even though they can't understand a word of it! It baffles the Germans because they think I'm speaking one of their dialects apparently!

Back
Top Bottom