Ask The Apex

I had a feeling that Monza would be the most likely place for close finishes in the past. I remember reading DSJ on one of the Monza races. The pack were swapping places by slipstreaming, any car which lost the slipstream had no hope of catching up whatsoever. It was largely a matter of who came out of the parabolica with the best slingshot.

I'd like to ask CTA a question please.
Does anyone know how the wheels on the F1 cars are now 'tethered' so they shouldn't come off in an accident?
We were trying to work it out as we watched a couple of wheels rolling off in the distance during the Monaco weekend.

If this has been covered elsewhere or I've put it in the thread please feel free to boot me over to wherever I'm supposed to be!
thanks

What system do the DTM mechanics use to get the car in the air without front jacks or at jacks at the back?

I only catch the highlights and have never had a proper view of the pitstops, but watching the last race highlights, I became intrigued :thinking:

I thought that they had compressed air jacks built in to the car itself, and during the pitstop a guy plugs an air line in and up it goes. They had a similar system in the BTCC at some point, and I believe that Williams had a system in F1 at some point, as a way of getting the car up to the minimum limit, although I am less sure of that, could someone clarify please!! ta.

A built-in air-pressure car-jack system. I guess it's built into the car or something... I can't seem to find anything about it (though I admit I haven't been trying very hard).

The actual jacks are built into he car.The air pressure is supplied by a connection by the pit crew.
14 mechanics perform a DTM pit stop – three per wheel, plus one man with the wand that supplies compressed air to the air jack system in the car and the famous “lollipop man” who directs the A5 to the right position in the pit lane with a sign that looks like an oversized lollipop.

Is a system like this not allowed in F1 or is it simply not practical to implement in modern F1 cars? Or are the F1 pitstop crews so good that a system like this would make no difference at all?

Back
Top Bottom