Ask The Apex

Thanks for posting one of my videos The Artist.....:thumbsup: I hadn't even thought about that YouTube account in a while. I just had a look at it again and there is some good stuff on there if anybody is interested.

As for the question I posed earlier, I know it must be related to safety, I just wanted to see if anybody else had an alternative.

Actually talking of Spa does anybody know why they moved the old pit-lane and starting grid to its current location when the Grand Prix returned to Spa in 1983? I'd imagine they might have thought the old one was a bit dangerous with the pack attacking each other at Eau Rouge off the line but I don't know whether this was the actual reason?

Spot on Floris, Seb B at Malaysia in 2011.

Others in 2011:
Michael S and Kamui K at Silverstone in 2011.
Pastor Maldonado at Abu Dhabi in 2011, converted to a 30 second time penalty as it was awarded after the race.

If a driver, for whatever reason, fails to complete a lap in either FP1, FP2, P3, or Qualifying, will he be allowed to start the race (even if it is someone like Sebastian Vettel)?

An out lap is participating. If it were to be one of the top/middle cars there would be no problem about the time as the stewards have discretion. If it were a back marker it might well be decided by how well his team mate drove and how much difference there normally was between the two of them.

If a competitor fails to record a time in Q1 within 107% of the fastest time recorded in that session he/she will need special dispensation from the stewards to start the race. To date the custom and practise has been that the stewards will look at the performance of the competitor in the previous practise sessions to make a judgement. This means that the competitor will need to have posted a respectable or competitive time in at least one of the sessions. It's unlikely that one out-lap would be sufficient to make such a judgement.

Ferrari have a fire in one of their transporters one Thursday night of the Brazilian GP. The damage is so extensive that they only have sufficient components to build one car. They will be unable to get a second car ready until the morning of the race.

Alonso, who is joint first in the WDC goes out in the one car, setting fastest times in FP1, 2 and 3 and also Q1,2 and 3.

Will the FIA refuse to let Massa drive on the Sunday?

Ferrari have a fire in one of their transporters one Thursday night of the Brazilian GP. The damage is so extensive that they only have sufficient components to build one car. They will be unable to get a second car ready until the morning of the race.

Alonso, who is joint first in the WDC goes out in the one car, setting fastest times in FP1, 2 and 3 and also Q1,2 and 3.

Will the FIA refuse to let Massa drive on the Sunday?

It is discretion, so it could vary but they would produce lots of evidence; always within 107%, has won at the track before etc...

I suppose Ferrari could claim Force Majeure?
It would be interesting if Massa's Ferrari had machanical failures for every session up to the race, so couldn't set a laptime, but Alonso's Ferrari was consistently within the 107% time.

Back
Top Bottom