Ask The Apex

As we have now I forgot that bit of my question cheers teabagyokel if Kimi wins on sunday I'm assuming that would the first time we had 5 different winners with 5 different constructors... Possibly that is...

5 different constructors/drivers:
1983 - Piquet (Brabham), Watson (McLaren), Prost (Renault), Tambay (Ferrari), Rosberg (Williams)

4 different constructors/drivers:
1962 - G Hill (BRM), McLaren (Cooper), Clark (Lotus), Gurney (Porsche)
1967 - Rodriguez (Cooper), Hulme (Brabham), Clark (Lotus), Gurney (Eagle)
1970 - Brabham (Brabham), Stewart (March), Rindt (Lotus), Rodriguez (BRM)
1972 - Stewart (Tyrrell), Hulme (McLaren), Fittipaldi (Lotus), Beltoise (BRM)
2012 - Button (McLaren), Alonso (Ferrari), Rosberg (Mercedes), Vettel (Red Bull)

Actually begining of the season stats aren't to bad in the last 10 years:

2 winners in 5 races for 2011
4 winners in 5 races for 2010
2 winners in 5 races for 2009
3 winners in 5 races for 2008
3 winners in 5 races for 2007
3 winners in 5 races for 2006
3 winners in 5 races for 2005
1 winner in 5 races for 2004
4 winners in 5 races for 2003
2 winners in 5 races for 2002

So yes we are above average with 4 from 4 but I think the Spanish result may just draw us level with 2010 which I seem to remember some people describing as 'not that interesting' - personally I'd take another 2003 season no sweat!

Sporting Regulations 25.4
d) Prior to the start of the qualifying practice session intermediate and wet‐weather tyres
may only be used after the track has been declared wet by the race director, following
which intermediate, wet or dry‐weather tyres may be used for the remainder of the
session.
e) At the start of the race each car which took part in Q3 must be fitted with the tyres with
which the driver set his grid time. This will only be necessary if dry‐weather tyres were
used to set the grid time and if dry‐weather are used at the start of the race.

Extract from FIA Sporting Regulations 2012

Article 25.4

d) Prior to the start of the qualifying practice session intermediate and wet‐weather tyres
may only be used after the track has been declared wet by the race director, following
which intermediate, wet or dry‐weather tyres may be used for the remainder of the
session.

Edit:
Galahad got there before me!

I hate when drivers sit out the session after all this format was meant to stop that sort of thing happening,

Maybe there should be a rule that states that a driver in the Q3 must do a timed lap that is within 102% of pole or take a 5 place grid penalty...

After all if they save a set of tyres they are getting an advantage over the cars that haven't and that should not be allowed..

How many rules have been instituted solely on the grounds that a certain driver benefited?

How many times has this driver been nailed with the first ever instance of a penalty being handed out?

Please Note - These are entirely rhetorical questions meant to shine light on the fact that if a certain driver benefits from any perceived loophole in a regulation, it is closed up post haste and said driver is penalized to the fullest extent.

Well it's at least four for Lewis thus far. I have a poor memory for dates so these are not necessariyl in order of occurance:

Spa - overtake, give place back, overtake at next corner: LH penalised 25s - FIA rewrite rule to clarify that handing a place back after passing a competitor "off track" nmust be at least one corner later. Massa inherits win

Fuji - mis-calculation into turn one off of the start, outbrakes and runs a bit wide. Following drivers also outbrake themselves leading to Heikki Kovaleinen pushing Kimi off track. Drive through penalty - first and so far only time in history a Driver has been penalising for missing his braking point into turn one from a race start.

Malaysia - weaving to break a tow (not to block and overtake) - penalised with a reprimand - FIA "clarifies" - i.e. rewrites rule with regard to on track maneouvres.

Canada - 2010 - runs out of fuel after qualifying - Team fined $10K, FIA adds new paragrapgh into Clause 6.2.2 of 2011 Tech Regs - 2012 The Ham sent to back of grid - first team to infringe the new rule.

Back
Top Bottom