Ask The Apex

Didn't Fangio make up nearly a lap at Nurburgring?
It is considered one of the greatest performances of all time, but that really would be taking the piss.

It's quite plausible that Patrese was a lap down amidst the confusion of Monaco in 1982 at some point. Mansell nearly won that race from two laps down by dint of finishing it.

Most people don't know that Jim Clark made up most of that lap when Graham Hill retired while leading :yes:

As for recovery drives, Schumacher's at Brazil 2006 would be up there. He was 70s behind Massa (74 s lap) and finished 4th by the end.

I'm not sure if anyone can help with this but if you don't ask...
Apparently at either the 1952 or 1953 grand prix at Reims Stirling Moss was down in the souvenir programme as Stirling Moose.
I was wondering if this was true and how I could find out - apart from asking you experts!
cheers.

The way to find out would be to acquire, otherwise get your hands on, or ask an owner of, one of the souvenir programmes. There must be someone somewhere with a collection of racing programmes.

Try emailing the Donington Museum they might be able to find something.

Or try a national library of some sort. They have millions of items.

Sounds like like whoever wrote down the souvenir programme helped himself into a little bit too much of the local beverage...

champagne%20hd%20wallpaper.jpg

Can someone please explain to me exactly how much development is permitted per each "token"? I honestly have absolutely NO idea. Plus, how is it monitored (assuming it IS monitored)?

That's incredibly restrictive. They should just throw the whole engine use/development limits out and let them develop the engines freely, I want cars making 1000+hp that may go pop at any point!

I can't remember the exact numbers but in an interview on Sky I'm sure Max Mosley said BMW used 150 engines in one season. I'm sure that is excessive but 4 per car per season I believe is too low.

If you could pull out one eye and have it pointed directly at the other, while standing in front of a mirror what would you see? Would it be some endless feedback like in a hall of mirrors? Would your mind be blown? Would the very fabric of space be forever altered?

I don't know is what I'm saying and haven't Googled it either. What do you think?

Who monitors what the teams are doing to their engines? Are there enough people out there with sufficient knowledge to keep accurate track of changes being made?

Another question: Am I right in thinking that the engines can be modified during the season, but, with the number of engines per season on a strict limit, only the unused ones can be changed?

Last edited:
All the engines are homologated by the FIA. I have no idea what that process involves but presumably it's detailed enough to check every component for differences, otherwise it would be pointless.

Thanks to all who offered advice - I've found the race they mis-spelt Stirling's name.
It was Reims 1953 but the 12 hour race & he was down as Stirling Moos.
Good old Google!

Back
Top Bottom