Ask The Apex

Not quite sure whether I should post this on here or the Alonso thread but I came across on youtube what looked like an interesting, a spanish-language documentary that chronicles Fernando's last race for Ferrari.
My spanish isn't good and I can't find an english version but I could pick a few words here and there. It does look quite interesting because the format is a bit unusual, in that it really is more of a personal diary, with the camera following him around with voiceovers of him just expressing his thoughts as he goes along. We get to see lots of shots from inside paddock activities we don't normally get to see on ordinary TV coverage and overall it offers a different perspective on the sort of routines teams go through on race week-ends.

Is anybody aware of similar long films where the camera just follows a driver with no other narration than the driver expressing his thoughts in that kind of format? I haven't really seen that kind of format on drivers' documentaries before, and I wish there could be more of them, because somehow you get the impression these are ctually a great deal more revealing than ordinary TV coverage-based F1 documentaries?...

They tried it with golfers playing a round in a tournament. They only filmed one round because of the language, apparently they were being bleeped almost continually.

Ithink Piquet in 1981 was one. I'm pretty sure Brabham that year switched from Michelin to Goodyear halfway through the season. To their detriment if what I read is correct.

EDIT Actually I think the decision to swap must have been political, as the michelins were superior that year. This was in the midst of the FISA/FOCA wars, and the FOCA teams switched to Goodyear. Michelin was seen as a more FISA-affiliated tyre.

I could be wrong though.

Last edited:
Is anybody aware of similar long films where the camera just follows a driver with no other narration than the driver expressing his thoughts in that kind of format?

"Weekend of a Champion" is broadly similar, Roman Polanski follows Jackie Stewart around Monaco in 1971, with documentary footage of the racing and off-track conversations about the sport, his approach and life in general. Great insight into a champion at the height of his powers, and also into the informality of F1 back then.

You need a strong stomach for the haircuts and fashion, though.

Not quite sure whether I should post this on here or the Alonso thread but I came across on youtube what looked like an interesting, a spanish-language documentary that chronicles Fernando's last race for Ferrari.
My spanish isn't good and I can't find an english version but I could pick a few words here and there. It does look quite interesting because the format is a bit unusual, in that it really is more of a personal diary, with the camera following him around with voiceovers of him just expressing his thoughts as he goes along. We get to see lots of shots from inside paddock activities we don't normally get to see on ordinary TV coverage and overall it offers a different perspective on the sort of routines teams go through on race week-ends.

Is anybody aware of similar long films where the camera just follows a driver with no other narration than the driver expressing his thoughts in that kind of format? I haven't really seen that kind of format on drivers' documentaries before, and I wish there could be more of them, because somehow you get the impression these are ctually a great deal more revealing than ordinary TV coverage-based F1 documentaries?...

Found one with sub-titles (part 1 only though)

I was watching a replay of the 1982 South-african GP the other day, the one where A Prost fell a lap behind after a puncture and went on to win the race.
I know Jim Clark at an Italian GP would have done likewise had he not run out of fuel on the last lap.

Are there any other instances in WDC history of a driver going on to win a race after being lapped during it?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom