First Entered 1977
Races Entered 285
Race Wins 35
Pole Positions 51
Fastest Laps 31
Driver World Championships 2
Constructor World Championships 2

Team History

Renault first entered F1 as a constructor in 1977 at the British Grand Prix. At the height of the “garagiste” and Cosworth engines Renault entered a single car, driven by Jean-Pierre Jabouille, powered by a 1.5 litre turbo charged engine. Renault’s experiment with turbo charging probably changed F1 more than any other single event in the sport’s history.

Jabouille won Renault's first Grand Prix in 1979 in France and, up until their withdrawal as a constructor from the sport in 1985; Renault won 15 Grands Prix. They continued in F1 as an engine manufacturer until in 2002 they returned as a constructor having acquired the Benetton (formerly Toleman) team in 2000.

The “new” Renault Team

For 2002 Renault partnered Jarno Trulli and Jenson Button together and the team managed 4th place in the Constructors Championship. Button was dropped for 2003 in favour of the team’s test driver, Fernando Alonso. Alonso repaid the team’s faith by winning the Hungarian Grand Prix, the first win for a Renault car since 1983.

Jarno Trulli won the Monaco Grand Prix in 2004 but was replaced by Jacques Villeneuve before the end of the season as he and the team principal, Flavio Briatore, fell out amid claims of favouritism toward Alonso.

The Championship Years

Giancarlo Fisichella was brought in to replace Trulli for 2005 and duly won the first race in Australia. Alonso won the next 3 and a total of 7 in the season to win the Drivers World Championship and give Renault the Constructors’ Title they had long waited for; breaking Michael Schumacher 5 year run of driver's titles and and Ferrari's 6 year long strangle hold on the constructors title.

In 2006 the same pattern repeated, Fisichella took a single victory, Alonso 7 along with both the Drivers Championship and the Constructors Title.

Post Alonso (part 1)

Alonso’s departure to McLaren in 2007, replaced by rookie Heikki Kovalainen, left the team without a star driver to build around and the team struggled. Kovalainen outscored his more experienced team mate but a highest finish of 2nd in Japan was the best result on the track. The team finished 3rd in the Constructors Championship but as McLaren were disqualified from the championship in 2007 the result flatters to deceive.

After falling out with McLaren Alonso returned to Renault for 2008. Rebuilding around him, the car slowly improved and Alonso won races in Singapore and Japan. It later transpired that Alonso’s team mate in 2008, Nelson Piquet jnr, had deliberately crashed during the Singapore race with the collusion of team principal Briatore and Technical Director, Pat Symonds. This emerged in 2009 after Piquet was dropped by the team for Roman Grosjean resulting in Briatore and Symonds being banned from the sport and Renault being given a 2 years suspended ban.

2009 was a lean year for Renault. Alonso managed pole in Hungary but otherwise a single 3rd place in Singapore was the best placing the team could muster. The resulting bad publicity surrounding the race fixing allegations resulted in many of Renault’s major sponsors withdrawing finance from the team and put into question Renault’s continuing presence as an F1 team.

Post Alonso (part 2)

Alonso left for Ferrari in 2010 and Robert Kubica took his place, partnered by Russia’s first F1 driver Vitaly Petrov. At this time Renault sold a 75% share of the team to Luxembourg based venture capital company Genii. Renault continued to provide technical support and engines to the team. Kubica managed some podium places through the season whilst Petrov took some time to acclimatise to F1 with a best finish of 5th in Hungary, matching Renault’s finish in the Constructor’s Championship.

For 2011 Renault sold it’s remaining 25% share to Lotus cars resulting in a change of team name to Lotus Renault GP causing a legal battle with Team Lotus as to who had the rights to use the name Lotus in F1. Renault will also race under a British licence this season leaving F1 without a French team for the first time since 1975.

Renault planned to retain the same driver line up but Kubica crashed in a rally car prior to pre-season testing and has been replaced by former team mate Nick Heidfeld. They will use the R31 chassis.

Just had a peep at Autosport's latest http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/119216 and I can't for the life of me figure how can Mathew Carter utter the sentence "Obviously you can't please all of the people all the time" with a straight face...

Of course in a purely logical world it would be the weaker of your two drivers (if their time as team-mates so far is anything to go by) who has to make way for a potential talented youngster in FP1's.

In this world however Mathew has seemingly no problem whatsoever in making Pastor happy all of the time.:facepalm:

Incubus

They are taking into turns to allow Jolyon some practice time. Pastor's credibility in F1 is dropping like a stone even though he had a great quali .

If you have not read there is political upheaval in Venezuela so not sure if Pastor can bring in £35m next season in sponsor money

Well Palmer panned Nasr last year in GP2 so I would expect him to do a decent job. He also had a rep for bringing the car home safely (the complete opposite of Pastor). Without sponsorship and out of the limelight though I think his hopes of landing a driver are going the way of David Valsecchi.

Still at least we won't have to put up with listening to Dr Jonathan Palmer being interviewed all the time.

Jolyon Palmer deserves a shot in F1 - it makes a mockery of GP2 being the feeder series for F1 if last year champion cannot find a seat

Not sure how he will get a race seat unless as mentioned above Maldonado's sponsorship money runs out

I thought Valsecchi was shafted by Lopes

Sounds more like his sponsors have come up with enough cash to get him a deal for 5 FP1 sessions.

Enstone don't exactly have a great history of late with bringing through their reserve/development drivers. They had Esteban Ocon on their books last year who was getting praise across the board for being a future talent and then dropped him without warning because others were offering more cash.

Slightly unfair on Mr Palmer Snr. Less than average racing driver maybe, Dull as dishwater and the wrong man to replace James Hunt certainly but he has done a lot to keep grass roots British Motor Racing going throgh Motorsport Vision running some of the UK's finest circuits.

RasputinLives No they don't but Grosjean must be thinking soon he needs to find another drive before ended up being another Heidfeld to prove his ability whilst Maldonado might not be able to bring the cash given the troubles in Venezuela so he had best keep the car out of the barriers

I don't remember previous devlopment drivers getting this much practice sessons

This was about 25 years ago mind so the details escape me. But I recall he was introduced as Jonathan Palmer and then corrected the announcer that he was DOCTOR Jonathan Palmer. He also came over as very arrogant and superior. The Q and A session he clearly resented every answer and couldn't wait to leave.

Maybe he has mellowed from his youth. I've never met him since.

I don't remember previous devlopment drivers getting this much practice sessons

None of the other previous development drivers had as much money and were likely to get the car back in one piece. I mean its probably double the price for Fong to get a Friday session. They'd let him have it if he had the cash though. Its all about survival for Enstone at the moment until the results improve.

I predict they'll have exactly the same driver line up next year. They won't want to get rid of Grosjean as they know 8 times out of 10 (now days) if they give him the car he'll get a decent result. Grosjean won't get offered a drive elsewhere right now because he's not in vogue anymore.

They'll keep Pastor because he has cash, is not majorly embarrassing, gets TV time and there is the chance that maybe, just maybe he'll pull off an awesome result one day.

I agree. Maldonado might be unlucky, and occasionally destroy a car, but as long as he brings in enough sponsor money to pay off anything he breaks, he's someone most teams would be willing to keep as a driver. Remember, crashes mean TV exposure too. Even if sponsors would rather not have their company associated with failure, if it's that or no exposure at all, which do you think they'll choose?

I agree with every word of that second article. Under underestimate Pastor at your peril.

Nothing warms my heart more than your unshakeable faith in Pastor's abilities. Outside of his native country I would imagine his list of supporters is short and distinguished.

LOL

Back
Top Bottom