Current Alfa Romeo Racing (formerly Sauber)

Discussion in 'Teams' started by FB, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Greenlantern101

Greenlantern101 Super Hero And All Round Good Guy Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Ferrari's chief F1 designer Simone Resta leaves to join Sauber
    Good news for Sauber fans.

Also shouldn't this thread change to Alfa Romeo Sauber?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. Il_leone

Il_leone Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    Well it will be interesting to see if Sauber vault further up the grid and Ferrari slide down just imagine that:whistle:

4. FB

FB Not my cup of cake Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    Haven't we done this before? No, they are a sponsor. So unless we go with "Petronas AMG Mercedes" or "We haven't got a title sponsor McLaren" it should stay as Sauber, until Ferrari buy them and run them as their B team under the Alfa banner.

teabagyokel and cider_and_toast like this.
  5. FB

FB Not my cup of cake Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    Interesting update on the ownership situation at Sauber - Sauber restructures ownership as Alfa Romeo closes in

Does this mean this could be the last season for Marcus Eriscsson?

6. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    There could be a hell of a bun fight between Sauber and Haas to be Ferrari's special friend.

7. Il_leone

Il_leone Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    Gene Haas has said that he does not see his team as a Ferrari B team. So really I think Sauber will win over that given they have specifically labelled the cars Alfa Romeo.

FB Possibly yes if the team is basically a Ferrari Toro Rosso to blood their young drivers however the article says Sauber will remain an independent team

I would say Marcus Ericsson might end at Williams given the team's plight and whether they really want to put up with more moaning from Stroll

Actually swap Ericsson and Stroll is not a bad idea given Lance was a Ferrari academy driver anyway

8. teabagyokel

teabagyokel #dejavu Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    cider_and_toast - Ferrari is a brazen hussy anyway...

cider_and_toast likes this.
  9. F1Brits_90

F1Brits_90 Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    after 25 yrs & the many variations the sauber name is no more

Sauber F1 team renamed Alfa Romeo Racing for 2019 season

gethinceri likes this.
  10. Izumi

Izumi Rookie

Mr. Sauber has kept friendly and ongoing relationship with two or three of his past employees, however it is now several years since he stopped visiting facilities once he sold the team (I got this from an interview I saw with him). There was no need to keep his name forever on the entry doors.
    He is very honest and upper man IMO. I do remember long time ago, when teams (unfortunately mostly British) were plotting to knife Ferrari to death, so they called meeting about Ferrari, yet without Ferrari in the room. Peter was disgusted by such backstabbing treachery, so it was him who has called his long time friend Jean Todt, and made him aware what was happening. Ferrari obviously survived.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  11. RasputinLives

RasputinLives I don't believe in Zimmerman Contributor

Featured Threads:
    See that article is a load of nonesense as they were BMW for 3 years before going back to Sauber. As far as I'm concerned they are the same team. Bit like team Enstone is always team Enstone despite its 5 different name changes.

F1Brits_90 likes this.
  12. Angel

Angel Pole Sitter Supporter

Featured Threads:
    It is sad to lose the Sauber name from F1 but these things happen. Just think of all the other famous team names in the sport that have disappeared over the years. I will miss Sauber, I know the team is still there, but it won't be the same.

So does this thread change names or do you have to start a new one called Alfa Romeo now? Just wondered.

13. RasputinLives

RasputinLives I don't believe in Zimmerman Contributor

Featured Threads:
    We usually get name change from our friendly neighborhood spidermod.

Unless Alfa Romeo are deemed a new/old team that needs its own thread? I guess they we around in 1950/51.

14. Izumi

Izumi Rookie

Change of team's name is somewhat intriguing. Should Alfa Romeo pull out next year, will be there name changed again? Looks like Mr. Elkann has rather long game in mind. What is not clear who will end up owning the team (genuine B-team).

15. Angel

Featured Threads:
    Thanks for that RasputinLives.

Yes the name Alpha Romeo has been around before but so long ago I doubt it matters now. Unless anyone else sees it differently of course.

16. Izumi

Izumi Rookie

Alfa Romeo has its brand-followers. My former colleague in Naples would not drive anything else.

Road of Bones likes this.
  17. Angel

Featured Threads:
    True Izumi, that father of my daughter's best friend always drove their cars too. He wouldn't drive anything else either. My dad was a more down to earth Ford man though.

18. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    In my humble opinion this is not Alfa Romeo in the same way as any of the recent half baked uses of the Lotus name was not the same as Team Lotus.

Title of the page amended accordingly

RasputinLives likes this.
  19. Izumi

Izumi Rookie

Right, this is not true blue AR. Sergio Marchionne to his credit never pretended otherwise. RBR also painted Aston on Renault if I am not mistaken.

20. gethinceri

gethinceri Daniil Kvyat Fan. Alfa Romeo Fan. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    I've always been a Sauber fan, I'm happy to rebrand myself as an Alfa Romeo fan.

21. Izumi

Izumi Rookie

Sauber has currently one of the very best strategically thinking TP in a person of Frédéric Vasseur (IMO). I wish he would work for Ferrari, but having too many Alpha-Males in one room is prescription how to start a fight, so he has to soldier where he is now.

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice