Grand Prix 2018 Azerbaijan Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Discussion in 'Formula One Discussion' started by Olivier, Apr 16, 2018.

1. dinsdale

dinsdale Spectator

Have only just finished watching it. Thought it was a pretty cruddy race really, although not without entertainment, but most of the interesting bits were mistakes, unnecessary crashes and bad luck.

On the bright side teams I support benefitted from the errors, but the down side is that Verstappen's (and to some extent Ricciardo's) immaturity has transformed what was almost a three way title race into a definite two way race.

It does seem as if the design of the circuit forces oddly unprofessional mishaps.

vintly likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. vintly

vintly Mostly bacon Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Agree dinsdale about the incidents mostly being negative, and a circuit that forces oddly unprofessional mishaps is fine by me – the track has really grown on me. The long straight provides overtaking opportunities that don't require DRS, and the tweaky windy conditions seemed to catch drivers out in ways that don't happen elsewhere. I like the variety, and over time there should be a reduction in unnecessary first lap drama. Verstappen's first pass on Ricciardo and some of their duelling was fantastic, and Vettel's mistake at the end although not positive for him was a highlight for it's excitement I thought.

4. RasputinLives

RasputinLives Happy to be me again Contributor

Featured Threads:
    I find it kind of funny that Vettel is copping some critiscm for 'blowing it' by going for the move on Bottas for the win when a couple of weeks ago Bottas was copping critiscm for not going for a move for the win on Vettel.

Kind of shows there are no easy choices in F1

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  5. Chasz

Chasz Points Scorer

I agree you are up for criticism whatever you do.

The only difference between the two scenarios is that if BOT went for it in Bahrain then even if he overshot his breaking he would still have been 2nd (barring a crash). Clearly VET lost more positions as a result of going in way too hot.

6. dinsdale

dinsdale Spectator

After Baku Verstappen will be working on zigging but not zagging, while Grosjean'll be practing mindful zig-zagging.

teabagyokel and RasputinLives like this.
  7. teabagyokel

teabagyokel #dejavu Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    I’d be shocked if he was working on anything.

8. Greenlantern101

Greenlantern101 Super Hero And All Round Good Guy Contributor

Featured Threads:
    BBC poll of who was to blame.
    Formula 1: What happens when team-mates collide?

Screen Shot 2018-05-08 at 10.13.23.png

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice