Grand Prix 2015 Italian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Catch it while you can folks otherwise you could be watching the last but one Italian GP from the Monza circuit. Bernie will be sitting down with the GP organisors after the race to discuss a new contract post 2016 and at the moment has said he is not sure if there will be a race here in 2017. The track itself openend in 1922 and since 1950 has held every single Italian GP with the exception of 1980 when it was held at Imola. Since it's a track with so little F1 history behind it, it's no wonder it's in danger of not being around much longer. (sarcasm !!). Bernie has stated he is not going to offer the track a cut price deal and expects it to pay the going rate to host a race.

The layout of the track is of course most famous for it's banked circuit which, despite it being hugely dangerous, would make for an interesting race if it was brought back into use. Since that is extremely unlikely we'll content oursevles with a layout that has remained virtually the same with the exception of a few chicane based tweeks here and there, since the mid 60's.

Known as a breaker of gearboxes and with the engines required to run at full throttle over about 80 percent of the lap, a reliable and powerful engine is an absolute requirement here. So, with a Mercedes one-two the only likely result the big question will be who else will round out the podium?

You would imagine that, for the reasons stated above, it would have to be one of the other Mercedes powered cars. Williams, Force India and Lotus had mixed fortunes in Spa but will all be eyeing that third step. Of course, with Ferrari at their home race and the Italian 'Tifosi' out in full voice there will be an added urge to compete but is that Ferrari engine powerful enough at this track?

McLaren have become the new Caterham in terms of promised upgrades not doing what they are claimed to do. In an Autosport piece in the run up to Spa we were cheerfully informed that the Honda upgrades would put them on a par in terms of power with Ferrari. Sadly it would seem they meant the 2014 powered Manor Ferrari and not the current Ferrari GP car.

With the remaining Reanult and Ferrari powered teams almost certainly fighting it out for the lower end of the top 10 it's really hard to see where the entertainment is going to come from. Let's just hope there is some.

Id guessed Hamiltons had pole after his 1st run 6 tenths would never be beaten & was just whether nico would join him on front row & they say f1 is predictable but I would never have guess nico 4th beaten by both Ferraris, especially kimi what a lap as I never had him 2nd amazingly his 1st Ferrari front row for 6 yrs.

I don't know if nico made a mistake on his runs & the 3 tenths between spa engine & monza engine is a genuine pace but that Ferrari upgrade that they kept under wraps as I didnt know about til the james Allison interview post qualifying is big one. Is Good for competitiveness of F1. but I agree with RasputinLives about the ludicrous situation where the Honda and Renault cars have basically decided there is no point them even trying to compete at Monza & made there own competition of who are get most penalties

Also anyone know the grid as with riccardio 50 kyvat 25? Verstappen 10 sainz 10 Alonso 10 button 5 Ericsson 3

Verstappen has been given a drive through penalty, to be served in the first 3 laps, for an unsafe release related to his bodywork coming off during qualifying.

Harsh on the driver considering he has no control over it whatsoever.

Isn't Verstappen 35 and Sainz 30?

I heard Thursday theyd got 10 place for engine change but wasnt sure if they taken any other components & Im fia its not harsh as verstappen had said to the media that the mechanics didnt have time to do up all the screws but sent him anyway, thinking it should hold & they always say win as a team lose as a team whether driver or team makes a mistake

& lets be fair fia ever since massa have been tough on safety its gone up after tragic loss of justin Wilson from freak debris

Ideal Lap (sum best sectors) in the Qual:
Qual – No – Driver – Qual Result – Ideal Lap – Flaw
1 – 44 – L.HAMILTON – 01:23,397 – 01:23,256 – 00,141
3 – 5 – S.VETTEL – 01:23,685 – 01:23,507 – 00,178
2 – 7 – K.RAIKKONEN – 01:23,631 – 01:23,587 – 00,044
4 – 6 – N.ROSBERG – 01:23,703 – 01:23,703 – 00,000
5 – 19 – F.MASSA – 01:23,940 – 01:23,881 – 00,059
6 – 77 – V.BOTTAS – 01:24,127 – 01:24,066 – 00,061
11 – 13 – P.MALDONADO – – 01:24,328 –
8 – 8 – R.GROSJEAN – 01:25,054 – 01:24,345 – 00,709
7 – 11 – S.PEREZ – 01:24,626 – 01:24,379 – 00,247
10 – 9 – M.ERICSSON – 01:26,214 – 01:24,457 – 01,757
9 – 27 – N.HULKENBERG – 01:25,317 – 01:24,510 – 00,807

****ing ridiculous!

The rest of the motorsport fraternity must be shaking their heads and laughing at the mess F1 has gotten itself into.

Surprised at Ferrari's pace, and good to see Kimi qualifying number 2 ahead of Vettel, but fine as long that Raikkonen remained behind Lewis.

The world feed during practice, focused on a woman in a gray t shirt with Hamilton written on the front, and holding a British flag. I started to wonder if that was racecub, who said that she would be attending the race this weekend. It would be 8-) that if it was.

the current regulations were borne out of the regulations dated back to the original engine freeze in 2007. Further exacerbated by the panic set in 2009 due to the global recession and the spate of manufacturer withdrawals and trying to keep costs down.

However the manufacturers remaining kept pressing Bernie about the need for powertrains and were making all sorts of guarantees about how they relate to road cars and the costs would be supposedly half the price the teams are paying for now

Everything with power trains has not really worked for F1 unless you were Mercedes who made a better job preparing for it .

The situation with the development tokens and the subsequent penalties is a farce...whether you agree it or not the engine is a big factor in competitiveness

It is why both Red Bull and Mclaren are so against the winter shutdown as it is the best chance to make gains. There is very little opportunity for anyone to catch up

Oh dear, well over 40 years of being in love with F1 but now my interests are with Rallying, WEC and IRL. F1 has lost its appeal, I hope they win me back next year. :( The only attraction for me is watching Hamilton at the very top of his game.

Well the GP3 race was like the slip streaming battles of old at Monza. Not sure the F1 race will be the same.

Speaks volumes doesn't it when GP2 and GP3 provide better racing and a better spectacle than the premier event. I hope I'm speaking too soon, I'll know in the wee small hours of the coming morning. I'm off to get a couple of hours sleep soon so I can survive the GP.

I enjoyed the GP2 feature race. I do not anticipate enjoying the F1 version as much, unless the Fezzas can swamp Blondie off the line, and make him fight for it a bit. I never watch it live anymore anyway- it's become more like a soap opera that you grimly persist with out of habit, instead of the great sporting event it purports to be.
(In fairness to the current leaders, it's been this way since about 2012).

168 places-worth of grid penalties in total. ERI 3, BUT 5, ALO 10, VES 30 + DTP, SAI 35, KVY 35, RIC 50, so 150 place grid penalties for the Red Bull teams.

i keep thinking go on manor as stevens starts 13th, if he has a storming start could be in the points after the 1st chicane but i was reading wtf1 & had to laugh at there summary especially these 3 as it sums up engine penalties right now
- Jenson Button gets a 5 place penalty for a power unit component change but actually moves up a place to 15th.
- Fernando Alonso gets a 10 place penalty for a power unit component change and also moves up a place on the grid to 16th..
- Daniel Ricciardo starts 19th & somehow not last, despite having a 50 place penalty for numerous changes to his power unit.

In spite of all the negative comments, including mine, I'm determined to make sure I enjoy all of Hamilton's extraordinary talent. He's become absolutely top draw. We are watching the rise of one of the sports true greats and it would be a great shame for any F1 fan to fail to appreciate this. Enjoy every lap while we have the chance.

Hope he doesn't screw up the start or I'll sound a little silly won't I. :snigger:

Last edited:
True I like Hamilton & has always had him in one of best pound for pound drivers on grid but apart from usain bolt, I cant think of any sportsman who is dominant & popular just like hendry Davis federer kiltchscko Schumacher & vettel. Because we like open competition

I know in season testing is banned because of cost implications but from a practical point of view why has it never been suggested that they just extend the race weekends? Free testing sessions with unlimited part useage on the Thursday and Monday either side of the race would be simple and everyone is already there so the cost is minimal right? Plus the Thursday thing means they get to check all the new stuff works and they're not having to change things and get grid penalties all over the shop.

I know it would only work on actual circuits and not the street races but I don't understand why its never been suggested. Am I missing something?

If you really want to stir it up you could even say the top two teams in the constructors wouldn't be allowed to test.

Back
Top Bottom