Grand Prix 2015 Italian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Catch it while you can folks otherwise you could be watching the last but one Italian GP from the Monza circuit. Bernie will be sitting down with the GP organisors after the race to discuss a new contract post 2016 and at the moment has said he is not sure if there will be a race here in 2017. The track itself openend in 1922 and since 1950 has held every single Italian GP with the exception of 1980 when it was held at Imola. Since it's a track with so little F1 history behind it, it's no wonder it's in danger of not being around much longer. (sarcasm !!). Bernie has stated he is not going to offer the track a cut price deal and expects it to pay the going rate to host a race.

The layout of the track is of course most famous for it's banked circuit which, despite it being hugely dangerous, would make for an interesting race if it was brought back into use. Since that is extremely unlikely we'll content oursevles with a layout that has remained virtually the same with the exception of a few chicane based tweeks here and there, since the mid 60's.

Known as a breaker of gearboxes and with the engines required to run at full throttle over about 80 percent of the lap, a reliable and powerful engine is an absolute requirement here. So, with a Mercedes one-two the only likely result the big question will be who else will round out the podium?

You would imagine that, for the reasons stated above, it would have to be one of the other Mercedes powered cars. Williams, Force India and Lotus had mixed fortunes in Spa but will all be eyeing that third step. Of course, with Ferrari at their home race and the Italian 'Tifosi' out in full voice there will be an added urge to compete but is that Ferrari engine powerful enough at this track?

McLaren have become the new Caterham in terms of promised upgrades not doing what they are claimed to do. In an Autosport piece in the run up to Spa we were cheerfully informed that the Honda upgrades would put them on a par in terms of power with Ferrari. Sadly it would seem they meant the 2014 powered Manor Ferrari and not the current Ferrari GP car.

With the remaining Reanult and Ferrari powered teams almost certainly fighting it out for the lower end of the top 10 it's really hard to see where the entertainment is going to come from. Let's just hope there is some.

Plus there's also the near-guarantee that Ferrari are going to spoil their own qualifying by attempting to do that thing when they try toeing each other. As we've seen numerous times in the Alonso/Massa years it just doesn't work, and all they succeed at is getting in each other's way.
LOL I remember that. It was a frequently repeating theme in the past. Have Raikkonen and Vettel ever done that?

So who fancies a bet on Nico for pole? I will give you odds of 11/1

screenshot.81.jpg

That says everything you need to know about Hamilton's dominance this year. He's really perfected the lights to flag victory. A sign of a truly dominant driver.

Rosberg is doing the best he can to hang on to those coat tails but I just can't realisticly see him mounting a serious challenge for the rest of the season and I don't think any other team is in a position too either.

I have been wrong (many times) before though.....

Oh dear, according to Sky, Ricciardo's brand new engine has failed and he's had to go back to the previous one (they put in yesterday) as it's the only one they have left.

Engine change for Nico. No penalty, going back to Spa engine.
So Lewis the only Merc with the new upgraded engine.

I can feel pole position coming on.

Last edited:
Looking at the times in FP1 when the Merc engines were obviously turned up a bit higher I can't see Ferrari as close as we saw at the end of FP3. It's a Merc one two for me - as usual.

Yet another ludicrous situation regarding penalties.

Ricciardo has a 50 place grid drop, Alonso, 20, Sainz I think 15?
Plus various other drivers.

I said this before at Spa but why do some drivers at the back with penalties bother going back out for a second run in Q1? Alonso for instance was realistically always going to start on the last row whatever his time was both here and at Spa so why not just save some tyres? Or am I geting confused with all those penalties?

Last edited:
May be the case but that would make the whole penalty system seem even more ridiculous when some drivers are effectively encouraged into treating quali like testing sessions.

Well it appears that due to the current rules we have a situation where the Honda and Renault cars have basically decided there is no point them even trying to compete at Monza so they might as well change everything they can whilst they can in order to be in better shape later on.

Interesting to see Smedley and Massa perfect the drafting process at Williams. Do we assume from this that the issue was that Alonso was crap at it?

I think here is the problem with the rule when teams who have realistically no chance of winning at the front and they decide they must as well break the rules in place about replacing car parts

\this is where the F1 regulations are a bit daft seeing normally these parts would be tried out under testing

It is all in the attempt to save costs and better engineering processes but unless you seriously do budget cap them the big teams will think what the hell

How else can you penalise them unless you make cars take time penalties immediately in the pits whilst the rest of the field has cleared after the lights go out

After qualifying, Vettel and Raikkonen were seen talking for a while in parc ferme as they waited for Hamilton to join them for the traditional top three photograph.
Asked what he and his Ferrari team-mate had been talking about Vettel, who was sitting next to the newly bleached-blonde Hamilton, smiled and said: "We were waiting for Lewis. I think he was trying to finish his hair!"
LOL

Well it appears that due to the current rules we have a situation where the Honda and Renault cars have basically decided there is no point them even trying to compete at Monza

To be fair I don't think anyone could have predicted the awful job that Renault and Honda have done with their engines. It's less a problem with the rules than with struggling/incompetent manufacturers. You can argue that even if all the manufacturers were doing ok the rules are still not ideal, or that the rules should be changed to help Honda/Renault catch up, and I would probably agree with you, but the original rules would have worked fine if everyone bar Mercedes hadn't completely failed to understand the challenges of the new power trains.

I have to disagree. The rules do not allow for testing, development and updates to be done properly which means you were always going to have one team out front and those behind struggling to catch up. It was always going to lead to a situation where the teams behind would sacrafice themselves to the rules in order to try and catch up later.

Back
Top Bottom