Grand Prix 2014 Malaysian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

So, after the thrills and (mainly) spills that was Australia, we move onto the greenhouse that is Malaysia for the second round of the championship. Situated just outside of the capital Kuala Lumpur, the Sepang International Circuit is fast, flowing, has numerous overtaking opportunities and is a real test for the driver, partly down to the inevitable and often oppressive heat and humidity. With the new regulations for this year, expect numerous driver errors and for the cars to be placed under immense mechanical pressure.

The Sepang circuit is the first of the Tilke circuits and the GP's inaugural year in 1999 paved the way for the Asian expansion of Formula 1, with races in China, Bahrain, Abu Dhabi, Singapore, Korea and India added to the calendar in recent years - although the last two have since departed from the travelling circus that is F1.

When one thinks of Malaysia, rain is one of the fist thoughts that occur. The race has been affected numerous times, most notably in 2001, 2009 (the race was unable to be finished, so half-points were awarded), qualifying in 2010 (two Ferraris and two McLarens at the back of the grid) and in 2012. With the high heat & humidity threatening to spark off rain showers any time, expect rain to play a big part in the weekend.

As for the pecking order, it is mainly unclear apart from the fact that Mercedes are miles in front of anyone else, and those with a Mercedes engine are all doing reasonably well. However, it is McLaren leading the constructors championship after a 3rd and 4th in Melbourne. Whilst it may not seem significant now, the points accrued in the early races may be pivotal in the championship as after all, every race is worth the same (oh wait, that's not right).

For some stupid reason, we now have to wait for two weeks before the race weekend, so there's plenty of time for discussion, dissection and disagreement.

So..... Ready, Steady, Discuss!!!

Things obviously get more interesting when they turn the cameras off. I celebrated when Nico overtook Seb as I new it was going to destroy his chances of pole, but to make out Nico did anything wrong is bad form from Seb in my opinion. Seb clearly slowed down to make space and Nico took advantage and given how tight things were Nico did exactly what he should've.

Also, when they are discussing not knowing why they end up so close together on track, I think it is obvious. When Seb went out for his 2 timed laps I looked at the clock and realised they had timed it for him to be last one over the line, then when Mercedes released Nico for his 1 timed lap, I realised they had done the same. So it was obvious that was going to happen and good couple of minutes before it did. Only one person can be last over the line, so if multiple teams are trying to get that then it is inevitable someone will lose out and without everyone being on out laps there isn't that time to sort out your position in the group and everyone just ends up on top of each other.

Lew_beauty.....I don't that there is an advantage to be the last man standing or over the line, during variable wet conditions, but dry conditions.......yes.

Till 12PM (local time) will be minimal (0-20%) chance of precipitation.
But after 1PM - 60-70% (T-Storm).

It is not good scenario for Mercedes.

I would suggest Mercedes' advantage is substantially reduced in the wet but is still extant.

If it's wet there is a chance of a Texan battle between Hamilton and Vettel. Which is always interesting.

To list the permutations that could occur if people conk out is a labourious job, and I've got one hour less tonight.

There could be a battle between two greats that we'll talk about for years. The entire field could fail to get off the grid. I know what I'm hoping for.

I think you know teabagyokel my post was tongue in cheek I to am looking forward to seeing a fight to the finish something formula one has been sadly missing in the last half a decade..

Although I think I would like to see a fight to the finish with a Finnish finishing first. as I have a fiver on Kimi....:D

Last edited:
I mentioned this in chat but who is making the decision about tyres for McLaren? It does seem that it is someone back at the MTC looking at a computer rather than outside at the actual track conditions. McLaren were always on the wrong tyre compared to everyone else.

My bet is if scooby doo and the gang are looking for Martin Whitmarsh... They need to pull the mask off of what looks like Jimmy Tappett ...the McLaren weather tech in the trailer behind the pits....'I would have got away with sneaking back in to McLaren if it wasn't for those meddling kids'....

Brilliant race. If Australia was 7/10, this was an 8/10.

Great job from Lewis. Ominous sign for the season for there to be that much of a gap to Nico. These cars are so complex now it's hard to know exactly why as I didn't expect that gap, but both Mercs have to take max points early on here as their advantage may not last forever.

Delighted to see Hulk bring it home in 5th. He is beginning to make F1 look silly. Dropped from Williams. Made to be a reserve at Force India, then Ignored by the top teams. He's made great decisions with his moves too, considering the options he has had.

Highlight of the race, Massa ignoring team orders. I personally wonder whether had they let them get on with it, Massa might've got Button.

I don't think Massa was fast enough - I think if Massa had ceded, then Bottas would have got JB.

Just speculation though. Massa was quick enough to be ahead of Bottas after 52 laps. Don't know where this view of Bottas comes from that make people think he is quick. I think he is quicker than Massa, but I don't think he's the talent he's made out to be.

It's just the fact that he was on better tyres at the time. I'm not saying that he's quicker than Massa overall or vice versa, but, from a team point of view, a 6th and and 8th is better than a 7th and an 8th. With the condition of the tyres on Bottas, you would have to say that a 6th was more likely with Bottas than Massa.

Back
Top Bottom