Grand Prix 2012 United States Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Yeehaw!
Saddle up and let's mosey on down to Texas for the penultimate round of the 2012 season.

(Okay, that's quite enough of that...)

If it wasn't for the fact that Red Bull and Vettel have all but tied both titles up, this would be one of the most exciting ends to a season for a while.

What we should have had is two or three drivers on approximately level points heading to an unknown circuit, which by all accounts looks like it's going to be a challenge for even the best drivers. Turn one in particular is a blind left at the crest of a hill, which could either make or break the race.
Instead, what we have is a dominant Red Bull who need just four points to take the Constructors' title and Sebastian Vettel who only needs to outscore Fernando Alonso by 15 points or more over the next two rounds to take the Drivers'.

The wheels have come off at McLaren with yet another retirement for Hamilton when leading comfortably at Abu Dhabi; this time due to a faulty fuel pump. McLaren have prosecuted a dreadful campaing this year; without doubt they should have been in a position to take both titles and instead they are unlikely to even be runners up in both.
Where did it all go wrong?

Renault scored their first victory of the season with Kimi Räikkönen. Apparently it was "nothing to jump around about" so we'll say no more.

Mercedes had another race to forget with both cars finishing outside the top 10. Again. One has to hope that this is not a precursor to next season's performance and the redesigned car will be a lot more competitive. They may be able to hang on to fifth in the Constructors' but that will be dependent on how many points the Sauber drivers squander, of which Pérez has been doing an admirable job since he signed for McLaren.

Force India and Williams are in their own private battle in both championships but the Force Indias are in the driving seat (thank you, I'm here all week) and look as if they will just have the edge.

Sadly, for another year, the three "new" teams still occupy all of the bottom places. Caterham had an opportunity during last week's race of attrition to jump Marussia into 10th place, which they currently hold thanks to Timo Glock's 12th place finish at Singapore, but Kovalainen was overtaken in the closing stages. The really sad part is I can't see this ever being any different; the step change in performance required to breach the gap just seems to be unattainable.

For those who haven't seen the circuit, this is the view from the start-finish straight to turn one:
austin-straight-jpg.5108

Here's an onboard lap:

Galahad's circuit write up is here: http://cliptheapex.com/pages/circuit-of-the-americas/

Burgers, weak beer and popcorn are available from the concession stands (OK, OK, I'll stop now :D)

Perez and Pic called to the stewards.
Perez has become a liability since he was signed by McLaren...

Grosjean may take a gearbox penalty - the team should have changed it for this event when they had the chance.
Grosjean retired from Abu Dhabi so it would have been a free change.

From the onboard, it did look like Pic was going to let Perez past, so I would be very surprised if anything more came of that incident. Most people it seems were very quick to blame Perez for it and it was only after the session when the Sky team were looking at it again the Jonny Herbert (a steward at some races remember) said it wasn't cut and dry and that her would be surprised if anything more came of it.

Qualifying could be interesting (well, from the Red Bulls backwards), especially if none of them can get turn 19 right..

Maldonado’s lap in FP3 was fantastic, he did about half the lap sideways and each corner looking like a crash about to happen yet it set the second fastest time at the time which ended up 3rd fastest. Impressive!

Even more impressive considering reports that he’s unhappy with the cars balance but Senna is reported to be happy with his, yet ended up 11th fastest.

The FIA permitted practice starts on the left side of the grid due to growing concerns that the odd numbered grid slots are going to have an advantage.

Why don't they just switch sides and move the pole position to what is currently P2?

More than a few pundits a little mystified that Perez escaped without penalty for driving into Pic.

A cynic would say that the high number of Mexican fans and the fact that a third reprimand would have resulted in an automatic 10 place grid penalty for Perez would have something to do with it.

That was an interesting qualifying session.
Normally it's warm up lap, flying lap, in lap, pit and repeat.

That was more like a mini race :D

Hamilton is going to lose out massively though as the even side of the grid apparently could lose as much as two rows from the start, due to the low grip.

The stewards have made mistakes many times.
Herbert himself admitted Schumacher should have had a penalty for blocking Hamilton at Monza.

So his judgement is somewhat flawed as he has already got it wrong at least once.

Point me to a human that doesn't make a mistake and i'll sell you a bridge. :)

Why would his judgement be flawed if he admitted his mistake? I would much rather trust someone who admits to his mistakes than someone who reckons he never makes any..

What's to say he won't change his mind in the future?
As he did with the Schumacher incident?

Hence his judgement is flawed and can't be relied upon.

Back
Top Bottom