Grand Prix 2012 Spanish Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

With the flyaway races finished for the time being the F1 bandwagon rolls into Europe for the first time for the Spanish Grand Prix. Traditionally this race hasn't provided the most entertaining of races with the pole sitter more often than not going on to win the race. 2011 was no exception as pole sitter Sebastian Vettel went on to win the race, however he wasn't by any means cruising as Lewis Hamilton charged him down and almost managed to take the lead off the young German but ran out of laps as he just couldn't get into the DRS window around a track that is difficult to overtake on.

Going into this years race it is virtually impossible on who is going to win the race. So far there have been 4 different winners with Jenson Button, Fernando Alonso, Nico Rosberg and Sebastian Vettel all having stood on the top step of the podium so far this season and there hasn't been any team which has been consistently at the front at all four races with everyone having their fair share of problems and also benefiting from other peoples problems. The only truly consistent teams seem to be in the regions of midfield with teams like Williams who are now regular contenders for points after their 2012 car is proving to be far better than their dismal 2011 effort which barely managed to get a point and they have already surpassed last years total in just 4 races which isn't a bad achievement considering both drivers weren't exactly tipped for great things this season.

The buzzword at Mclaren at the moment and particularly for Lewis Hamilton is undoubtedly pit stops after a series of poor stops destroyed his race in Bahrain and also in Australia when he got caught out by the safety car. Jenson Button has also been affected by poor pit stops which show how these aren't isolated incidents and it is something that Mclaren urgently need to address as there is virtually no chance of getting on the podium let alone winning a race if they keep botching pit stops, for example, Hamilton lost well over 20 seconds from just pit stop problems which robbed them of at the very least 4th place if not a podium but this was probably unlikely given the supreme pace of Raikkonen and Grosjean in the lotus cars.

Indeed, lotus finally managed their most consistent race of the season and showed that they have designed a very fast race car as Kimi Raikkonen very nearly won his first race since returning to the sport in only his fourth race as an aggressive race saw him get within striking distance of leader Vettel but ultimately fell slightly away and had to settle for second which was still a fantastic result and with Grosjean finishing a comfortable third things are looking up for lotus going into the European season.

Barcelona is traditionally a hot and dry race although there have been wet races before although there hasn't been a rain affected race for a good number of years now. However it will be still difficult to suggest a possible winner as it depends who was the most productive at the Mugello test which starts today (Tuesday 1st May) and teams like Ferrari are banking that the raft of updates and upgrades that they will bring to the car for Barcelona will kick start their stuttering season which would be a boost for Fernando Alonso at his home race and an improved car would easily give him a good chance of a third drivers championship as he has already won a race in the below average Ferrari that is lower points at best at this moment in time but that could change for Barcelona and they will need to otherwise heads could be rolling at Maranello if Ferrari are out of the Championship before it has barely got going.

For Galahad 's brilliant circuit write up, see here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/circuit-de-catalunya/

no-FIAt-please I was going to post this extract from the Sporting Regs to clarify the situation for you on gear ratio changes:

28.6 For the purposes of this Article only, an Event will be deemed to comprise P3, the qualifying
practice session and the race.

a) Each driver may use no more than one gearbox for five consecutive Events in which his team competes. Should a driver use a replacement gearbox he will drop five places on the starting grid at that Event and an additional five places each time a further gearbox is used. Any replacement gearbox must be fitted with the same gear ratios that were declared under d) below and will only be required to complete the remainder of the Event in question. Any change to the gear ratios declared under d) below will incur a further five grid place penalty. In either case a new five race sequence may start at the following Event.

Unless the driver fails to finish the race (or is unable to start the race for reasons other than a penalty imposed by the stewards) the gearbox fitted to the car at the end of the Event must remain in it for the remainder of the five race sequence. Any driver who
failed to finish the race at the first, second, third or fourth of the five Events for reasons which the technical delegate accepts as being beyond the control of the team or driver, may start the following Event with a different gearbox without a penalty being incurred.
A gearbox will be deemed to have been used once the car’s timing transponder has shown that it has left the pit lane.

c) After consultation with the relevant team the FIA will attach seals to each gearbox in order to ensure that no moving parts, other than those specifically permitted under d) below, can be rebuilt or replaced.

d) At each Event seals may be broken once, under supervision and at any time prior to the second day of practice, for the sole purpose of changing gear ratios and dog rings (excluding final drives or reduction gears). Competitors must inform the FIA technical delegate which ratios they intend to fit no later than two hours after the end of P2. However, one additional change of ratios and dog rings will be permitted if a gearbox change is necessary on the first day of practice before the end of P2.
Gear ratios and dog rings (excluding final drives or reduction gears) may also be changed under supervision for others of identical specification at any time during an Event provided the FIA technical delegate is satisfied there is evident physical damage to the
parts in question and that such changes are not being carried out on a systematic basis.

But on reading through it I believe you were right, in that under clause (a) changing gear ratios would normally incur a 10 place grid penalty (5 for the gearbox change, a further 5 for changing the ratios); so seeing as 10 places behind last place is still last place, I think Hamilton could have had his ratios changed overnight, effectively for free, if he had wanted to.

Another point that im not sure has been made is, seeming as McLaren would have known they didn't put enough fuel in his car when he was on his out-lap, they could have told him to come into the pits as they would have known they'd have to stop him on his in-lap. As people have said, this would have resulted in him being around 6th anyway. Another option that James Allen said was to let him come back to the pits and hope they were not randomly chosen for a fuel sample. I know it is unlikely as he got pole but it is a possibility that it would have never been noticed.

I don't think McLaren played their cards well in the situation, but saying that, no one would have predicted the stewards would have disqualified him from qualifying completely. I guess now though, if this ever happens again, teams will pull the cars in before doing their final hot lap rather than letting them get disqualified.

My confusion, in respect of the way McLaren have acted is that the only team I can recall making this error is McLaren. As has been stated, not completing the lap to ensure comlicity with the regs would have lead to a high grid slot. Not pole, but not 24th. I mean, it is not as if they would not have known the situation, and there is no excuse for not knowing the rule book.

"Punishment to fit crime" is exactly my thoughts, but regardless, we have a race on later.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/99569

Lewis has promised to charge. Good reaction from Lewis:

"This is such a disappointment," said Hamilton. "Today's qualifying session was one of the best I've ever driven - the whole car was just rolling so smoothly – it felt fantastic.
"But, on my slowing-down lap, my engineers told me to stop on the track, and I didn't know why. Later, to hear that I'd been excluded from qualifying, was of course extremely disappointing.
"But, now, looking ahead to tomorrow, I think it's clear that it's going to be an incredibly tough race for us. Even so, as always, I'll never give up and I'll give it everything I've got. It would mean so much to me to get a good result here in Spain: it's such a pleasure to come here and the support I get is amazing.
"As I always say, and as I always do, whatever grid position I start a grand prix from, I'll always race my heart out."

What have Williams done in the last three weeks to improve their qualifying performance so dramatically (well, with one of their cars, anyway)? And does anyone think that Maldonado can actually win the race today?

Another point that im not sure has been made is, seeming as McLaren would have known they didn't put enough fuel in his car when he was on his out-lap, they could have told him to come into the pits as they would have known they'd have to stop him on his in-lap. As people have said, this would have resulted in him being around 6th anyway.
I agree. They must have known what was happening. And then you have to pay the price.

On a weather front, it rained heavily for most of yesterday evening, the GP3 race was a green track with a big chance of rain, teams got wet tyres out but it didn't come, GP2 guys might get some rain but the clouds do look dangerous!

Sun seems to be coming out in the GP2 race according to pictures on twitter
Edit: The sun is out so the rain seems to be blowing over, could return though

What have Williams done in the last three weeks to improve their qualifying performance so dramatically (well, with one of their cars, anyway)? And does anyone think that Maldonado can actually win the race today?
Think they have a good chance at podium but not the win, but maybe...

I think anyone has a chance of winning this one.
That would be a first at this GP considering the winner has always come from the front row on a circuit it's almost impossible to pass on. Hamilton will make up good ground on the back half of the grid then he'll come up against a brick wall made up of drivers like Webber, Schumacher, Button, Rosberg, Vettel, and so on and so on.

Jos the Boss........Not sure where you got that from. If you go back 22 years to 1990 you'll discover the only time the winner hasn't come off the front row was 1996 when Schumacher won from 3rd on the grid. Maybe you've gone back even further to a time when they were racing on one of the many other circuits that have been used for F1 in Spain. :whistle:

Cheers Jos, we got confused. The three circuits that are so difficult to pass on are Monaco, Hungary and this one in Spain. :cheers:

While we're here, If you were Lewis Hamilton now would you chose to start from the pits with a better race strategy, put on less wing and have a better chance of overtaking on the main straight or stay the same and start last?

If it is raining it'd be a no brainer. If not, then Lewis should probably start on the grid. He could make up so many place on the first lap with the 6 slow cars and any possible collisions. Obviously he doesn't want to get in any collisions himself.

Back
Top Bottom