Grand Prix 2012 Bahrain Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Anyone fancy a protest?

Controversially it was announced that the Bahrain Grand Prix would go ahead despite opposition from almost everyone and the events that were happening in Bahrain both last year and again recently haven't seen the postponement of the 2012 race like the 2011 event. Reaction to the news has been mixed but it seems that the decision is final and there will once again be F1 cars in the Gulf state. The last race was held at the start of the 2010 season and by all accounts was the dullest race of the season with durable tyres and little overtaking with the only action at the front being a problem with Sebastian Vettel dropping him from first to fourth giving Fernando Alonso a win on his Ferrari debut with Felipe Massa finishing second, how that must feel a long time ago now for both the drivers and the team. Thankfully the painful extended modifications on the track have been abandoned for this year and the 'old' spec layout used from 2004-9 will be used which wasn't actually to bad and with DRS, KERS and the Pirelli tyres should provide for close racing and numerous overtakes.

Nico Rosberg will go into the Grand Prix weekend on the back of his best weekend in the sport. After taking his maiden pole by a margin on Saturday he successfully converted this into a maiden victory by winning by over 20 seconds from the Mclaren pair of Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton. The Mclarens battled various traffic issues and pit stop problems to claim the podium places in a titanic scrap where, at one point, only a handful of seconds seperated 2nd-10th. It is surprising that with so many cars in very close proximity for over half of the race that there was no crashes and barely any contact but there were cars flying about (in Webber's case literally) as cars hit the cliff with Kimi Raikkonnen being the primary case has he slipped from second to 14th as the tyres gave up on him and he even lost 8 places on one lap and that was without any spins or damage.

Over at Red Bull it is a complete contrast to 12 months ago as Sebastian Vettel struggles to get on the podium let alone win races while Mark Webber currently holds the upper hand in the team by leading 3-0 in qualifying and being higher in the drivers championship. This current superiority was emphasised late on in the Chinese Grand Prix when he drove around the outside of Vettel down at turn 14. Without the EBD the Red Bull has lost it's superiority over the rest of the field and this season is a true test of Vettel's racecraft and a true evaluation of where he stacks up as one of the great world champions and at the moment I would say he was a 6-7/10 as he has made some good overtaking moves and apart from a puncture in Malaysia has always moved forward on the grid from his starting position, but then that wasn't hard to do in China considering he started 11th on the grid, his lowest qualifying position since 2009 when Brawn were running riot.

The problems continue at Ferrari as Fernando Alonso fought the car to finish in 9th which could have been higher but for a combination of tyre of degradation and traffic at the wrong times that cost him time, but this is still a lot stronger than Massa in the sister Ferrari who continues to show that he shouldn't be a Ferrari driver after a mediocre race to 13th, he is showing almost no signs of improvement and he is rarely threatening the points these days let alone the podium and the championship challenging days of 2007 and 2008 must feel like a long time ago, if there isn't any improvement surely this will be his final year in a Ferrari seat.

So far 2012 has seen 3 different race winners in 3 races with Lewis Hamilton leading the championship from team mate Jenson Button despite Button winning the Australian Grand Prix which shows that Hamilton is getting back his consistency which won him the 2008 championship and shows that he has got over the demons of 2011 which is only a good thing for the championship fight with numerous people already showing that they are capable of fighting for the championship and today perhaps Rosberg threw his hat into the ring as a possible contender, it is certainly has the potential to be one of the closest championships in recent years and makes a change from the Red Bull dominated 2011 with Vettel steamrollering the field.

For Galahads brilliant circuit write up, see here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/bahrain-international-circuit/

If the Mclaren's can stay with the Red Bulls in the corners they will nail them down the straights..we all know the Red Bulls are snails in a straightline

Not surprised that Vettel has got pole as he could have won in 2009 and had pole in 2010 so its clear its a track Red Bull done well

If I was either Red Bull driver I'd be hoping to stay well clear of the Mercedes powered cars to have a chance of winning

i expect Hamilton to give Vettel a hard time

Its a bit surreal if its true there is going to be rain in the desert ! That will throw things up a little

As for the political issues - lets hope there is no track invasion which I fear might happen

Force India - they've acted honourably so I find it pathetic to hear local television did not choose to screen them anytime they were on the track .

Alonso may be better off than we think. The way he's starting he probably figured why use an extra set of tyres in qualifying achieving the same result he's likely to achieve in the opening one or two laps of the race. He's likely to gain three places and get himself up behind Rosberg by the end of the first lap and have that extra set of softs he's saved by not putting in a time in Q3. Makes sense when your still fighting for pace. Mind you his Q2 lap was less than 2 tenths off Hamilton which probably surprised Ferrari and Alonso. I still think Ferrari will be fighting up front after Spain, maybe even at Spain. :)

Im expecting great driving at the front though it think with those 3 long long straights and DRS Vettel hasnt got much hope keeping Hamilton at bay though he will have to watch out for Button behind him because Button will have overtaken Webber at the start. Schumacher should have a good charge and up around 8th hopefully. As for Ferrari, i have no faith in them currently and believe they might struggle to get even a 10th place. Also hoping Raikkonenn can do something from 11th

Tyre wear is going to be a huge factor in this race and Alonso's the driver with an extra set of softs in his arsenal. He may well be in for a podium. :)

Apparently, FOM delibrately avoided force india on the coverage...

That's pretty childish. FI's spokesman said after his team's 4x4 was petrol-bombed that in such a situation it's a toss-up between your head and your heart (or something like that), and when FI have repatriated a couple of guys who've been petrol-bombed and don't really want to go through that again thank you very much, it's just spite to exclude FI from the coverage when the rest of the team do turn up.
If I'd been petrol-bombed I'm pretty sure I'd have :censored: myself and wanted out as well.

Here's an idea bernie, "why not take a bad situation and make it worse"?
Oh bollocks! you already did that >:(

I think Ferrari in that junk they have the most will be 7th or 8th maybe 6th if lucky they got outqualified by customer cars using the same engines !

the Ferrari is not as quick as the Sauber or Lotus so Kimi could be steaming through as well. Plus Schumacher with his extra sets

The two revelations of quali were Di Resta with one less practice session - he could have been much higher and first time at the track

Riccardo..be interesting to see if he maintains pace with Red Bulls will he be allowed to overtake them

il_leone - hadn't occurred to me but now you mention it, I offer my avatar to Bernie and the rest of the chicken-shit empire as a gesture of my true feelings concerning the way FI appear to have been treated.

EDIT: In fact I'd go further - this treatment of FI is as bad as shunning a driver that has retired in a race in which a teammate has been killed - who the hell can concentrate on doing the job properly or keeping everyone safe in that situation?
Some things in life are worth more to people than a few minor classified places and if you can't see that then you're a ****ing idiot, Mr Ecclestone (cue swear filter)

lI_leone.......Pardon! That junk Ferrari was fifth fastest in Q2. Alonso even bettered Jenson. None of the customers cars bettered him. That junky Ferrari will be transformed when they upgrade it at the next test.

Kewee - fifth fastest but that is only 1 lap speed but apologies I forgot about this
We know the Ferrari tends to fade very badly in the race so I don;t think the bosses at Maranello will be happy if they finish behind both customers

I thought I had better bring up Riccardo's position because what if he were to hold up or take out the Red Bull's or even interfere by deliberately blocking the other cars in Red Bull's favour

Could be quite contentious I see
I'd like to be a fly on the wall in the Red Bull and Toro Rosso's motorhome right now and get clips of Horner or Marko having a "friendly" chat with Tost about the race

unfortunately because there is such lucrative $$$ involved there is no way they will not cancel the race unless there is a track invasion or protesters barricade the track entrance

Kewee

When there is even a hint of an indication that Ferrari are suddenly going to jump forward I may start to entertain the idea. At the moment, however, there is no indication whatsoever and so, at best, we have nothing more than wishful thinking.

There is optimism and then there is blind faith. Good on you for getting behind your team but don't lose sight of the stark realities.

Why are Red Bull so childish? they have said they will not come out and hold their airlines out of way for McLaren during pitsops I know this is only a curtsy thing but come on, what next sling the air guns out into the pit lane to hold them up.

I suppose this is because McLaren drew their pit box at a slight angle in china to avoid Ferrari's airlines so they thought they may try and negate that one billionth of a second advantage McLaren may have gained...:twisted:

If Torro Rosso are seen to be racing with Red Bull rather than against then I would personally like to see both teams excluded.

I think it is unlikely that will happen though.

Not sure what you mean here about which event is unlikely.
Did you mean a) "ToroRosso won't compete against RBR if the opportunity arises [i.e. they'll roll over and let the RBRs past thus helping RBR]" or b) "ToroRosso will be in a position to actually compete with RBR" ?

if it's clearly case a) then I'd agree that it should be worthy of considerations for sanctions against both teams, but if it's case b) then it's a case of "no foul, no penalty".
That said, it's often pretty hard to determine authoritatively if someone like Vettel or Webber made a clean pass on Ricciardo or Vergne, or were the beneficiaries of double-team-orders.
And what about Alonso (or Massa) passing a Sauber or a ToroRosso?
And what about a ToroRosso driver being passed by both a Ferrari driver and a RBR driver?
Or a McLaren or a Mercedes passing a Force India?
Who do you penalise then???

I think also that there is a big difference between the relationship between Red Bull and TorroRosso and the others that you mention, who are related by engine supply deals whereas the two fizzy drinks teams get thier funding from the same place.

Back
Top Bottom