Grand Prix 2011 Spanish Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

And so on to Spain, after the anti climax that was Turkey, it seems that no-one can stop Vettel as he marched to his 3rd win in 4 races and is in dominant form as we head to the Iberian peninsula. Despite the highest amount of overtakes since records began (126), a lot of people were questioning how authentic these overtakes were due to their artificial nature because of the DRS. The Spanish Grand Prix hasn't been known for its overtakes, indeed this is a track where more often than not, the driver who gets pole goes on to win so thats the race in the bag for Vettel. In 2010 the race was won by Mark Webber in the first of back to back wins from Fernando Alonso and Sebastian Vettel. lewis Hamilton was on course for second until a wheel rim failure with two laps to go.

After a dominant performance in Turkey, Red Bull will be aiming at another one two in Spain, and on current form and given the nature of the track it is hard to see past the Red Bulls from extending their championship lead. However Ferrari and particularly Alonso have showed that Red Bull won't have it their own way and no doubt Alonso will be boosted by a capacity crowd all cheering him on. Mclaren planned to bring updates to Turkey but abandoned them and instead will introduce them this weekend to plug the ever increasing gap with Hamilton currently second in the drivers championship, over 30 points behind Vettel.

Mercedes were Jekyll and Hyde in Turkey and its not exactly hard to figure out who was who. Mercedes Rosberg has shown improved form recently and has been mixing with the Mclarens and Ferraris and with continued development, Mercedes will be confident of a top 5 finish this weekend.

Renault have seemed to have fallen back recently with Heidfeld and Petrov in the lower reaches of the points, their podium form of Australia and Malaysia now seems a distant memory and have now been overtaken by Mercedes in the development battle. In the midfield it is really tightening up as Toro Rosso have found a speed boost with Buemi claiming points in Turkey and Kobyashi coming from last on the grip to claim a top 10 position with Force India not holding the same level of competitiveness as the first few races with Di Resta's first DNF of his career.

While Team lotus didn't gain the jump that they hoped, they have high hopes that this weekend is the one where they establish themselves as a solid midfield runner while Virgin and HRT continue to fight it out over who gets the wooden spoon.

With the arguments over DRS raging on, no doubt we will see a circuit record of overtakes as cars breeze past each other down the main straight but if only one thing is certain it is that Red Bull will be right at the front barring major developments (or crashes)

For Galahads excellent circuit write up, see here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/circuit-de-catalunya/

I think the racing needs the DRS to keep drivers close when in the dirty air, but it isn't needed for overtaking. I think the best thing they can do with it is change it to GPS and have it shut when they get 0.1s behind or level. That would be wheel to wheel drama.

Ye, although that might be difficult to control! DRS was definitely about right in that race, maybe a tad short, but only a tad!

We really are creating a mini-golden generation here. Alonso's bravery at the start to jump 1st to 4th. Lewis dragging round the 2nd best car and staying so close to Seb at the end and then Vettel himself winning. I kept thinking when watching Lewis chasing Vettel, this could be a battle we will be seeing all season. As long as Lewis is there he will not give up. I think this will be a great season - Lewis vs Sebastian.

Ye, although that might be difficult to control! DRS was definitely about right in that race, maybe a tad short, but only a tad!

The only problem with that is 2 overtakes were completed before the corner again and they are the only ones i can think of. The problem is with the style of overtaking. If it is possible to do the GPS idea they should try it. I believe they use GPS in NASCAR for timing screens.

I think so - p'haps like Schumi is past his best.

He just looks a poor driver over the last 2 years. Even prior to 2008 and some of 2008 he looked poor. Had he not had that season i doubt he'd even be in F1 right now. Perhaps a little harsh.

Oh crap. Investigation into drivers under yellow. Lewis, Jenson, Mark and Kamui. :thinking:

Lewis might be fine because 20 seconds would drop him back into the people being dropped back.

Yep. Seems pretty obvious they will be punished. It's pretty easy to know if they broke the delta's or not.

Yes. Just 4 days till Monaco baby. Practice anyway. I love the shorter breaks. Especially after a race like that. Anyone reckon we might see one of the greatest Monaco's ever? Time to prepare for survival sunday. Come on Blackpool!

Bit of a comedown after the chaos at Turkey

Firstly I must say the TV coverage was unusually bad, we saw the aftermath of Kovi and Massa's accidents, and no replay. The cameras panned to the pits whilst Alonso and Webber were side by side, and we watched Alonso for a lap or so whilst the leaders fought it out.

That aside, Hard compound (and that stupid rule that tells you to use both, and the lack of tyre sets) really sterilized the racing for me.

Ferrari really need to get their act together very soon, possibly the best start I've ever seen, and spirited defending ended up with a disappointing 5th. Not sure if that was Alonso or the car that hated the hards. Massa out of the points again and scrapping with slower cars isn't helping his cause for a contract extension.

Lastly it good that RBR have challengers, but I have a bad feeling this car was designed to his preferences not both drivers. Hamilton did a particularly good job with the McLaren today.

Anyone think Monaco is going to be a crashfest? This season's been void off that kind of drama this season. Would be interesting to see how strategies play out with Safety cars thrown in.

Re. the ivestigation ... Were the flags waved or stationary? Fines and a ticking off in the offing? How come Seb's not being investigated even if only to clear him? Didn't see the Ham close in on him through that section.

I personally thought that was a brilliant race tooncheese - definitely better than Turkey. Each to their own i guess though.

Completely forgot, but at the start of the race i was fuming at Vettel for doing his dangerous weaving again. When are they going to stop him from doing that. It will cause at least one pile up at this rate.

Back
Top Bottom