Grand Prix 2011 Belgian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

It's a long summer and the key discussions aren't about the F1.

As we are in the middle of the summer break, the SKY/BBC deal continues to take precedence over any on track action we saw at Hungary, which is a shame as we saw a cracker of a race where Jenson Button eventually won his second race of the season ahead of Sebastian Vettel who extended his lead at the top of the championship yet again and surely it takes a miracle for anyone to overtake him now with less than half the races to go.

However with Belgium coming closer on the calender, it seems as if Red Bull has lost the dominance it held over the first half of the season with McLaren appearing to have the best all round package with 4 wins now this year with 2 for Button and 2 for Hamilton. Ferrari aren't far behind and are perhaps the best team in warm conditions but that remains to be seen after a series of damp and cold races. However it would still be a foolish person to bet against Red Bull going into the Belgian Grand Prix where the fast sweeping corners and technical hairpins will no doubt play to their advantage.

Spa Francorchamps is regarded (quite rightly) as the best driver circuit on the calendar with the famous circuit having many variations from its original form to the current version which was last changed in 2006 to incorporate the new pit area and final chicane, the final chicane wasn't popular as both fans and drivers miss the challenging bus stop chicane and the 'new' pit lane which can cause problems.

The grand prix has been famous for it's unpredictable weather with violent storms and half the track being dry and the other wet at the same time and completely random showers, the big example was 2008 where a late shower caught out the entire field and cost Kimi Raikkonen (and eventually Hamilton) the win. In 1998 torrential rain caused one of the worst starts in F1 history where half the field was wiped out on turn 1, eventually (after a restart) Damon Hill won for Jordan in a 1-2 with Ralf Schumacher second, Michael Schumacher famously nearly started a fight with David Coulthard after crashing into him trying to lap him.

Michael Schumacher has an impressive record at this track, winning his first race at the track in 1992 and taking several wins at the track with his last coming in 2002 where he took his seventh world championship. However at the moment it is unlikely that he will add to his list of wins with the Mercedes well off the pace of the leading trio of Ferrari, Mclaren and Red Bull.

Mercedes might find themselves behind Force India at the race as the track suits them down to a tee, in 2009 Fisichella took a surprise pole position and then took second place just finishing behind Raikkonen in the Ferrari (who always seemed to win at Spa when he was driving there)
Sutil and Di Resta have shown impressive pace recently, with both achieving season bests at the last few races and are closing the gap to the flagging Renault team who have really lost performance since the start of the season with Heidfeld and Petrov dissapointing.

On a personal level I am really looking forward to this race as I have weekend tickets and will be at Pouhon all weekend to bring you the best coverage from the track, (better than these Sky lot anyway)

For Galahad's excellent circuit write up, see here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/circuit-de-spa-francorchamps/

You know, it's pretty amazing how safe these cars are. He had a head on collision into a barrier at a pretty high speed but he walked away without a scratch. No matter how many crashes I see, every time a driver walks away without a serious injury I'm happy and impressed by the safety measures.

Still, it was pretty concerning when he didn't move after the crash. I thought he broke a leg or got knocked unconscious.

When I saw the crash I thought Hamilton would be fine, then it cut to the on-board shot and I was genuinely worried as he head was slightly lolled to the side and he didn't move for ten seconds, Max Mosley did at least one thing right that much credit I will afford him.

I just don't why Kobayashi hung the car round the outside because after he said he wasn't seeking to repass. As for Lewis blaming himself I think he is being overly self-critical, to me it was a racing incident with both drivers having to take responsibilty, Kobayashi should have put his car there but Hamilton should have been more aware.

Unfortunately not. The onboard replay was the only time we saw the Vet/Kob pass. But seeing that he passed him a hell of a lot closer to the corner than Lewis, I can't imagine there was a huge margin.
Points to note here -
Hamilton himself said he was slow on the straights.
We can't see how close Koby was to Vettel as Seb turned in, but we do know that once Hamilton passed Koby, Koby caught back up to Lewis and pulled alongside. Koby was unable to do this to Vettel.
So in speed terms Vettel > Koby > Hamilton, and despite overtaking closer to the corner, I think it's fair to deduce that Vettel had a bigger margin to Koby than Hamilton did, especially as Koby had more time to catch up on Lewis.

When I saw the crash I thought Hamilton would be fine, then it cut to the on-board shot and I was genuinely worried as he head was slightly lolled to the side and he didn't move for ten seconds, Max Mosley did at least one thing right that much credit I will afford him.

I just don't why Kobayashi hung the car round the outside because after he said he wasn't seeking to repass. As for Lewis blaming himself I think he is being overly self-critical, to me it was a racing incident with both drivers having to take responsibilty, Kobayashi should have put his car there but Hamilton should have been more aware.

Interesting, I hadn't heard this till now.
Maybe he had to go alongside, as being in Lewis' slipstream gave him so much extra speed there was nowhere else to go?
Just a thought.

Interesting, I hadn't heard this till now.
Maybe he had to go alongside, as being in Lewis' slipstream gave him so much extra speed there was nowhere else to go?
Just a thought.

Couldn't he just wait behind Hamilton's car? As this would allow him to take the corner faster rather than going round the outside if he had no intention to re-overtake.

Couldn't he just wait behind Hamilton's car? As this would allow him to take the corner faster rather than going round the outside if he had no intention to re-overtake.
Main straight, flat out, top gear. You want him to ease off, after you Claude?

I'm not sure that is ever going to happen, particularly not with the driver in question.

Complete anathema to most top line racing drivers... lift off on a straight??? After Lewis passed him, KK tucked into the slipstream. Lewis saw this and so moved right to cover the inside line should Kamui get a decent tow. This he did so he went to the outside, the only route left. He knew Hamilton had the inside line to the corner and therefore he rightly realised that a pass wasn't on, but lifting off would have wasted time and no racing driver is going to do that. Following that you simply have a racing incident where one driver assumed one thing and the other assumed another and crash, bang, wallop. Neither driver was blameless, yet neither driver was reckless. The stewards, likely with Mansell's guidance, took one look and wrote it off as a racing incident. To bowdlerise the common axiom: stuff happens.

but lifting off would have wasted time and no racing driver is going to do that.
I saw quite a few drivers do that on Sunday when watching onboard footage.

It happens a lot more often than most fans and spectators think.

Alonso himself yielded to Webber at Eau Rouge.

Complete anathema to most top line racing drivers... lift off on a straight???.
Apparently it's something they have to do at about 40 metres to reduce speed to safely enter a turn. Sometimes they even have to do that to avoid bumping into things ... like racing cars, or ....:D

I'm not sure that "yielded" is the right word there. Had he stayed alongside Webber, Alonso would have been forced into a very tight line through Eau Rouge and would have been on the outside at Radillon anyway. Tucking back in behind Webber and being right in his slipstream along the Kemmel was the right thing to do. Discretion being the better part of valour, and all that...

Meh! Lewis made a mistake. He's said as much himself. I don't understand why anyone is trying to dress it up any differently. He passed before Radillon, had DRS, which Kobayashi didn't, and failed to look in his left hand mirror - he had also pulled towards the middle of the track, before going left to get a good shot into Les Combes. Kobayashi did nothing wrong. Lewis understands that, so why the controversy?

Back
Top Bottom