Your top 10 F1 drivers of the decade: 2000 - 2009

Brogan

Legend
Staff Member
With just 3 races left, now is the time to vote for your top 10 Formula One drivers of the decade.

No doubt all the usual suspects will feature on most peoples lists but what about the lower positions?

List your drivers in order and I'll tally up the final results.

Please remember this is all subjective so if someone wants to put Nelsinho Piquet as No. 1 then they're entitled to ;)

Explanations of why you have chosen certain drivers would be welcome.

1. Michael Schumacher
  2. Fernando Alonso
  3. Kimi Raikkonen
  4. Lewis Hamilton
  5. Juan Pablo Montoya
  6. Felipe Massa
  7. Mika Hakkinen
  8. Rubens Barrichello
  9. Jenson Button
  10. Ralf Schumacher

Nelsinho Piquet is not on the list!

This is a tough question but here's my list:

1) Michael Schumacher
2) Fernando Alonso
3) Kimi Raikkonen
4) Lewis Hamilton
5) Felipe Massa
6) Rubens Barichello
7) Jaun Pablo Montoya
8) Nick Heidfeld
9) Giancarlo Fisichella
10) Sebastian Vettel

1) Michael Schumacher
2) Kimi Räikkönen
3) Lewis Hamilton
4) Fernando Alonso
6) Nico Rosberg
7) Sebastian Vettel
8) Robert Kubica
5) Felipe Massa
9) Rubens Barichello
10) Jenson Button

1. Michael Shumacher
2. Fernando Alonso
3. Lewis Hamilton
4. Kimi Räikkönen
5. Felipe Massa
6. Rubens Barrichello
7. Mika Hakkinen
8. Jenson Button
9. Sebastian Vettel
10. Robert Kubica

1 - Michael Schumacher
2 - Kimi Raikonnen
3 - Fernando Alonso
4 - Lewis Hamilton
5 - Rubens Barrichello
6 - Jenson Button
7 - Felipe Massa
8 - David Coulthard
9 - Mark Webber
10 - Mika Hakkinen

I couldn't decide between Alonso and Hamilton so I've given them joint 3rd place.

1. Michael Schumacher
2. Mika Häkkinen
3. Lewis Hamilton
3. Fernando Alonso
5. Kimi Räikkönen
6. Juan Pablo Montoya
7. David Coulthard
8. Rubens Barrichello
9. Felipe Massa
10. Jenson Button

I've taken a slightly more pragmatic approach and worked out who scored what points between 2000 and 2009 and have used that to generate my top 10. The points scored are listed alongside:

Michael Schumacher - 691
Fernando Alonso - 577
Kimi Räikkönen - 571
Rubens Barrichello - 346
Ralf Schumacher - 333
Felipe Massa - 320
Juan Pablo Montoya - 307
Jenson Button - 304
Lewis Hamilton - 244
David Coulthard - 241

Not much different to most others. The thing which surprised me most was that Hamilton creeps in at number 9 despite having taken part in less than 3 seasons.

Awww FB, Where's the love? You've got to go with your heart not your head in matters like this.

It's like producing a list of the greatest films ever made by listing them in order of box office takings. Mama Mia? I don't think so!!!!!

An alternative way of doing it would be to equalise everyone on the lowest number of seasons.

That would make it fairer on the guys who've only done say 3 seasons compared to others who have done 10.

Oh and what he says :D

It's probably the 10 I would have picked anyway C_A_T, maybe in a different order so :razz: . 11 to 20 is :

Jarno Trulli 219.5
Nick Heidfeld 212
Giancarlo Fisichella 208
Mark Webber 151.5
Robert Kubica 129
Heikki Kovalainen 105
Sebastian Vettel 100
Nico Rosberg 71.5
Timo Glock 51
Pedro de la Rosa 50

and I don't think I would have put any of those above the 10 previously listed, especially as Vettel and Rosberg both still appear to be a "work in progress". Mika might have sneeked in but with only the 1 season in 2000 does he justify a place?

One thing which did pop up as I was putting these numbers in to Exel - who is/was Patrick Friesacher, who did he drive for and where did he muster up 3 points from.

Patrick Friesacher, who did he drive for and where did he muster up 3 points

Why don't you type his name into the Clip the Apex Database and find out? I would do it but it dosn't work on my work computer without Java enabled.

:p

As for Mika I agree with you. Great driver and would automatically be on my best drivers of 1990 - 1999 list (one for another thread Bro ;) ) but he didn't do enough in the 00s to justify inclusion on my list.

FB said:
Mika might have sneeked in but with only the 1 season in 2000 does he justify a place?
Is that the same Mika who drove for McLaren in 2000 and 2001? :D

cider_and_toast said:
As for Mika I agree with you. Great driver and would automatically be on my best drivers of 1990 - 1999 list (one for another thread Bro ;) ) but he didn't do enough in the 00s to justify inclusion on my list.
Already ahead of you c_a_t :thumbsup:
I figured we can get this one done and then work back and that way we'll end up with a top 6 of all time.

P.S. Nice plug for the Database, the cheque's in the post LOL

Oh c@ck, I didn't include 2000 :crazy: but you will be pleased to know I was using the database Bro.

As for Patrick Friesacher - we have the 2005 Indy debacle to blame for him being on radar this afternoon. 3 points for a 6th place in a Minardi. Oh how Paul Stoddard must have laughed that day...

I've been scanning this thread all day, and I'm sure my top 5 will pretty much involve the standard entries, but I'll need some think time to come up with the final list. I'll post later on tonight (or tomorrow if I forget, which is very much a possibility).

I've decided to spit in the face of convention and not name schumi as No.1....

..oh, all right, I lied. I have the shoemaker as numero uno. *

• 1. Michael Schumacher, grudgingly Michael Schumacher
    2. Fernando Alonso
    3. Lewis Hamilton
    4. Kimi Räikkönen
    5. Felipe Massa
    6. Jenson Button
    7. Rubens Barrichello
    8. Juan Pablo Montoya
    9. David Coulthard
    10. Nick Heidfeld

* I was tempted to name "the whole F1 grid" instead, as my driver of the decade, but I suppose realistically that would be pushing it. Schumi is just not my favourite driver, of any decade!

Back
Top Bottom