Windows 10

Yes, it is, you can do it by running "services". I can't remember off the top of my head the exact sequence but can work it out if anyone wants to do it.

I have a technical expert, online, from Microsoft, working on updating my laptop. He seems to be having problems though!

He's currently researching booting my laptop via BIOS. So my next "appointment" is on Wednesday....

Despite spending time over trying to find a fix for the update Microsoft forced on me six or so months I am still getting screwed from time to time the pc overriding the Windows update being set to disabled. The only clue that I have for the update failing is that it seems it could be down to running a triple boot system under grub2.

If I boot from the installation disk and go into the repair mode most thongs work except when I do "bootrec /rebuildbcd" when it complains that it cannot write the boot files to the disk despite the correct files being in the correct place.

Any ideas?

PS Going back to 7 would be problematical due to my grandson having several games which have all been installed under 10.

Have you tried going to scan disc and removing all the files that have been duplicated by the update? Windows 10 updates seem to create the same files you already have without removing the old version from your system which leads to issues. It's something I do after every update along with using Defraggler and C Cleaner once every three months. This is mainly for speed purposes but seems to fix a variety of issues with Windows 10.

along with using Defraggler

upload_2018-1-24_13-10-33.jpeg

Bill Boddy, I think that if you boot from the installation disk and you run the command "as-is", it's going to write to the installation disk and not your C drive. I don't know what you're trying to accomplish and it seems to be a little risky. Having said that, you could check the following link.

Trying to Rebuild Windows Boot Configuration Data (BCD)? Here's How

lifewire.com usually has articles that are for the common person but deep enough to fix complex issues

Thanmks for that Olivier but alas it did not work. From what I have uncovered after much perusing of sites, including Microsoft sites, it is most likely that the problem is either due to using grub or because my boot disk is not EUFI. Either way makes no difference, enough is enough.

I would like to say that the dongrade to Windoes 7.1 was smooth and controlled but, yes you've guessed it, it simply did not work. I finished up installing all over again; the transfer of all my data and software is near enough complete.

What a pain but I'm glad you're almost done Bill Boddy

Some time ago I switched from Windows/PC to Sierra OS/Mac and I'm not really happy about it but if that means I don't need to use Windows 10 then so be it ...

Back
Top Bottom