Current Williams

FB

Not my cup of cake
Valued Member
Did I miss the joke as well?

As an aside, Frank Williams has always had a rule that he doesn't steal sponsors from other teams and if you look at the teams sponsors over the years this is clear. His ambition has always been to bring new companies into the sport. What that hasn't stopped is other teams stealing Williams sponsors.

If others in F1 had the personal morals and standards of Sir Frank the sport would be in a much better place.

Il_leone

Champion Elect
I thought I heard Claire Williams say putting Williams presents" a great opportunity " - she is right on that part which is to hopefully have a competent Team Principal replacing her

F1Brits_90

Race Winner
I would almost go to as far to say that Mercedes engine might be 1 of worst things to happen to them last 10 yrs. because it have them a false sense of success & if they had any other engine they would've found out maybe 3 years earlier how bad there aero chassis was but having the brilliant results on the power circuits Austria, Britain, Germany, Beligium papered over the cracks. didn't see qualifying 13th & 16th at Monaco or 1.2 secs of Mercedes at spain was sign of things to come & it wasn't until the Mercedes engine had more parity with the others they'd realised but by then the damage had been done & so many years behind now

RasputinLives

Leave me alone I'm on Smoko
Contributor
Well also it's meant they are not allowed to win races. Remember when they were 1-2 in front of the mercs and mysteriously they both pitted completely off preferred strategy and magically the Merc's got past them?

F1Brits_90

Race Winner
yeah i would hope that was stategical incompetence because otherwise toto wolff will get thrown out of the sport for race fixing in the same way as briatore did. but i remember that they shouldve won British GP. why they didnt let bottas through when he clearly miles quicker than massa i dont know. Austria i think mercedes just had far better race pace

RasputinLives

Contributor
Lol. No he wouldn't it happens all the time. Every time a Toro Rosso moves over for a Red Bull, every time a Haas makes it 'easy' for a Ferrari to get past. Not a chance they would ever get done for race fixing. Did Ron Dennis and Frank Williams get done for race fixing when it was agreed for Vilneurve to pull over to let the McLaren's through to win? No!

F1Brits_90

Race Winner
Lol. No he wouldn't it happens all the time. Every time a Toro Rosso moves over for a Red Bull, every time a Haas makes it 'easy' for a Ferrari to get past. Not a chance they would ever get done for race fixing. Did Ron Dennis and Frank Williams get done for race fixing when it was agreed for Vilneurve to pull over to let the McLaren's through to win? No!
I remember reading the stories that It was heavily investigated & was in front of the FIA world council as they got tapes of the team radio

RasputinLives

Contributor
It couldn't have been investigated very hard as the two were seen having the conversation in the pit lane, we were all aware what was happening on the day as it happened and everyone involved has said thats what happened.

McLaren still lie about the David Coulthard one in Australia the following year but not that one.

Il_leone

Champion Elect
Okay list of top 10 things Williams have got wrong in the last 10 years to decline
1. Appoint Claire Williams - I think she took the opportunity when it was there to do it rather than being selected

2. Hire Lance Stroll because his Dad was throwing money into the team so they went from 5th to 10th as a constructor after they decided to seek their fortunes elsewhere

3. Hire Pastor and his dodgy Venezuelan cash - strangely will be remembered as the last driver to win for Williams possibly but also junked a lot chassis in 2012 and 2013 was simply awful

4.Sack Hulkenberg - who knows what he might have done in 2012 with that car

5. Merc engines - got the bum end of the deal firstly Mercedes poaching both Toto and Paddy Lowe from them and probably not got a decent return for allowing Bottas to go

6. Failing to re-sign Button in 2016/ 17 because they were not as competitive but they finished ahead of Mclaren in the constructors that year. Had he gone to Williams he would have been no doubt No 1 rather than No 2 at Mclaren and Alonso

7. Rehiring Massa for 2017 - he retired because clearly he was past it so recalling him for one more season was not forward thinking

8. Sacking Paddy Lowe/ Mike Coughlan - it is easy to point the figure at them when clearly the problems at Williams runs deeper than the car

9. Using Cosworth engines in 2010 and 2011- yes they were cheaper but there was talk they were speaking to both Merc and Renault about engines - the latter were a better partner possibly

10 Hiring and firing Bruno Senna - Its almost as soon as he jumped into a Williams his seat was under pressure from the beginning . Williams cashed on their 5 minute of nostalga - Senna and Williams - Renault but Bruno got treated badly

RasputinLives

Contributor
I'm sure owning shares in 3 teams on the grid and a company that managers drivers is not a conflict of interest in the slightest.

Only sport in the world which does not have rules against this sort of thing.

Il_leone

Champion Elect
RasputinLives I do remember how Flavio tried to control half the grid back in the early 00's with his drivers

I think Moto Gp runs a very close thing because it seems if you are not Spanish you pretty much have no chance of getting a factory bike .

FB Why am I not surprised that Williams could be seen as a permanent Mercedes Jnr team and they could swap with their drivers from the Formula E team as well

Any chance he will give Susie a drive then in one of the seats ?

Greenlantern101

Super Hero And All Round Good Guy
Contributor
It would make a lot of sense for Mercedes to take over Williams as a B team they already have the engine deal. They are the only top constructor without a B team. Ferrari have Alfa and Redbull have Torro Rosso. It makes sense and would save Williams in the interim until the cost cap comes in. I would also be tempted to give George Russell and Bottas a seat swap.

Il_leone

Champion Elect
I do remember back in the 70s and 80s when the manufacturers went against the privateers. The problem is the money distribution has gone so much in favour of the manufacturers so the only way to equalise the field will be budget restriction but then again the way the money is being paid out that needs to be sorted. Hwa will problem appear given they are not going to do DTM next year and probably also in being William's it would stop Audi or even BMW consider buying the team

FB

Not my cup of cake
Valued Member
The new Williams breaks cover

1593161447489.png

Think I prefer this to the toothpaste colour scheme, even if there are fewer sponsors. Just needs some British racing green in the mix somewhere.

Il_leone

Champion Elect
What happened to the traditional Williams colours ?
Anyone know who the owners of the sponsors are?

I am reading Merc are discussing sponsorship with I think Rokit

F1Brits_90

Race Winner
Il_leone i think most of them sponsors come from latifi.

Titch if Williams aren't British then. nobody stands a chance. but it weird that alot like ferrari being red because of Marlboro. Williams seem to be blue & white well after rothmans have disappeared nearly 25yrs ago now

Top Bottom