Will Fernando Alonso become a triple World Champion?

Slyboogy

World Champion
Contributor
I personally think, 2010 was his last chance to become a world champion again.
I am not a fan of Fernando, his ability as a driver can't be questioned though, or maybe they could last season when he made a lot of rookie errors also his will to be No1,that definitely can't be questioned.

I think his time is up, if he stayed at McLaren then he would have got the chance to be World Champion again, but with so many contenders recently will his chance ever come?

Many people thought when Schumacher retired, the championship battle would be between Raikkonen and Alonso for a few years. But that hasn't happened for various reasons, most which people didn't expect.

There is always a new contender every season now since the 2007 season, first it was Hamilton, then Massa and Kubica, then came in Vettel, Webber and Button, and I have a feeling Kubica would have/will have a fair crack seasons to come.

He is also contracted to 2016 with Ferrari, committed to them for another 5 years? Then there's also the big rule changes in 2013 it will mix up the grid, and we know Ferrari are too conservative when it comes to rule changes. These times look dark for Ferrari.

But in F1 anything can change...

He has the ability to win, as do Ferrari....

So what do you guys think, will Fernando ever get that third world championship that he is after, or do you think his time has gone?

Fernando certainly has the talent, witness that blinding start in Spain. The big question is whether Ferrari can provide him with the car - getting rid of Aldo Costa is a good start...

Never discount Fernando, he looked distant last year until roaring back in the latter half and arguably should have won it had it not been for the pit stop mess in Abu Dhabi. It's still early doors and if anyone can do it it's Fernando. I may not like him for his 2007 antics, but I rate him as a driver above the likes of Button Webber and Vettel

Absolutely no reason why not.

He is without doubt in the top 3 on the grid so given the right equipment, he will definitely be able to add to his tally.

Even when the Ferrari hasn't always been that competitive, he has managed to put it places it didn't deserve to be.
You only really have to compare his performance to Massa (and Hamilton for that matter), to see that he has the required skills to do the job.

A lot of people say it's all about the car, but even when you have the car you still have to beat your team mate.

I am not discounting him, I was looking more at the situation on how it looks a bit unlikely that he will always be competitive.

He is a monster behind the car, but the situation doesn't look to be on his or Ferrari's side at the moment, (I am getting ahead of myself by putting this article up as he will still be in a competitive team for another 5 years :embarrassed:)

Questions like this...they fall to chance. He definitely can again, but equally so can several others. 09 proved that almost anything can happen with Hamilton scrapping for points and Button running away with the championship. Things can be turned on their head ever year so it's pretty much even once this season is over as a new one will begin. Sure, Vettel's the heavy favourite (I assume) to retain his title but who knows what we might see next year? Heidfeld establishing himself as #1 just as Renault make good their potential and dominating in a way we haven't seen since 04? Who knows, but I sure hope so!

I'm not a fan of Alonso and don't think he drove like a champion for enough of 2010, but he can be a season long contender and seems a happier person this year than last so I won't count him out for future titles.

Ferrari have been in bad situations before and came back, remember 2005?

Wouldn't call that bad really, it was more to do with the tyre rules and the tyre war...which I would not like to see again.

As much as I don't like to admit it, he is a very good driver, I just don't think he has the razor sharp edge he had in his Renualt days. If Ferrari give him the quickest car he will be WDC once again, but that is key, he needs the fastest car (who doesn't). If they give him a car that is only 2nd quickest, I don't think it will happen. The younger talent of Vettel, Hamilton and Rosberg are too strong for his talents, and with Di Resta in the wings for Mercedes he is certainly running out of time.

With the troubles Ferrari seem to be in, what with panic sackings this week. I am going to say NO. He won't get a 3rd WDC.

That is an unanswerable question, sly. He's 29 years old, he still has plenty of time - and a Ferrari contract for the next 6 years.

And you've got to consider circumstance. The question "Will Robert Kubica end his career with one win?" is a great example. In January 2011, you'd say no chance, but in March 2011 the possibility has sadly opened up.

Given the right car, of course Alonso can take another championship. I don't believe there are many drivers who would have scored 51 points in the last 5 races in that car. But whether he will... on 23rd October 2006, you'd have expected him to be a triple champion by 2011. In December 2008, you'd have been called mad if you said 2009's champion would be Jenson Button. You just cannot tell.

Well I don't think anyone would deny he has the talent to do so, I think it hinges on him having the car to do so and unfortunatly I just don't see Ferrari as the technical powerhouse they were 10 years ago. Currently I rank Alonso as the 2nd best driver of the grid (behind Hamilton) and he is losing ground to Vettel, everyone talks of how consistent he is but going on the sheer amount of errors he made in 2010 one could argue he has lost the 'title' to Hamilton whose only mistake in a very long time was Monza 2010. To sum it up, yes he has the talent, but I think it will only happen as long as Ferrari at least develop a joint fastest car in 2013 once the rules change.

Yes, of course he will.

There are only two drivers currently who can make a crap car seem impressive - Alonso and Hamilton. Given a better car, they will both be champions again; given a car equal to the RB they would only be competing against each other.

Yes, of course he will.

There are only two drivers currently who can make a crap car seem impressive - Alonso and Hamilton. Given a better car, they will both be champions again; given a car equal to the RB they would only be competing against each other.

I find it unfair to say that, they are not the only two drivers who can do that, Kubica did it with the Renault last year and with the BMW in 2008, as did Rosberg with Mercedes, then there's Raikkonen with Ferrari in 2009, Vettel with Toro Rosso in 2008 and so on.

I find it unfair to say that, they are not the only two drivers who can do that, Kubica did it with the Renault last year and with the BMW in 2008, as did Rosberg with Mercedes, then there's Raikkonen with Ferrari in 2009, Vettel with Toro Rosso in 2008 and so on.
The important word in my post is "currently" - i.e. this season

I don't think Massa was even that good that weekend, I just think he had an average weekend that Alonso would have had and Alonso had a bad 'un.

Back
Top Bottom