Poll Who will take the 2014 WDC

Who will take the 2014 World Drivers Championship

• Fernando Alonso

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Valtteri Bottas

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Whilst it is still a long shot but Daniel Ricciardo could do it you know given the way Rosberg has marginalised himself at Mercedes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/28925176

I could see a situation where Lewis needs to overtake Nico to win the title but Nico slams the door in his face and they take each other whilst Ricciardo takes full advantage of it .... the sub plot behind this is how will Vettel react when he has to support his team mate's title charge - the ignominy of it might be too much to take as reigning champ

Well, Merc could tell Lewis that he's too far behind Nico now and to act as his wingman for the rest of the season. That would stop Ricciardo's grin :D getting any wider, but probably wouldn't put a smile on Lewis' face....:bawl:.

Il_leone I can't see Vettel refusing to help Dan if it meant another championship for RedBull, even if it isn't his. Then again we have seen toys thrown from the pram before. :thinking:

Greenlantern101 Then if it that is the case will Helmut throw a wobbler at Seb and replace him for costing the team a driver's title

That is why I see this sub plot becoming very interesting for Seb as Danny boy keeps getting the plaudits

Wobbler yes. Replace him, not sure.

Its all rather unlikely to pan out anyway. Dan has an outside chance at best, and Seb being in a position to assist is also unlikely if he continues to finish behind the Aussie super star. I think we will never know how Seb would have dealt with that little 'issue' particularly if Seb is in another team for next year. Which is something I wouldn't bet against.

I could see a situation where Lewis needs to overtake Nico to win the title but Nico slams the door in his face and they take each other whilst Ricciardo takes full advantage of it .... the sub plot behind this is how will Vettel react when he has to support his team mate's title charge - the ignominy of it might be too much to take as reigning champ
I could see it too, if the situation at Mercedes escaletes a little further. Which wouldn't surprise me.

Here's a question... if Hamilton wins the championship because of the double points would he still be considered a worthy champion? (I ask for Hamilton because of all the bad luck he's had thus far.)

In 1976 Hunt was WDC with Ferrari WCC. Isn't that what you wanted? Or Hakkinen as WDC and Ferrari as WCC in 1999? Or did I misunderstand the question?

Yes, but has any driver ever won either the WDC or WCC title by driving a car which did not?

Let me provide a clue; I think you'll find that the answer is no.

Fangio won 1951 championship driving the Alfa Romeo 159M but the car wouldn't have won the championship because he only raced it twice so the car only collected 1 win (8 points).

My statements is full of disclamers though, there was no WCC back then, the Alfa Romeo 158a and 158b were pevious incarnations of the 159m and were basically the same car and Alfa Romeo had up to 5 drivers per race. Also there were non-championsip races and I'm too lazy to take all into account but the Ferrari 375 driven by Ascari got better results that any of the Alfas if they were considered different cars ...

Also your question could have been rhetoric in which case I'm makibg a fool of myself

Although I don't think it will happen, I have voted for my fellow Aussie. I suspect there will be open warfare between the Merc drivers now.

I also have to admit that, should one of the Merc drivers prevail, to me it will be the most meaningless WDC since Mansell's. In his case, there were so many driver aids that stabilized the car, kept brakes from locking and shifted the gears for him that the driver was left with nothing to do but steer and ply the throttle.

This year, the car is so superior to every other team's that the WCC is the championship that is a true indicator of the season. IMO, if you had Chilton and Maldonado in the cars, they would be getting wins (although probably not a WDC, since they aren't very good at keeping the plot on the road).

I know that won't be a popular assessment, but I believe it is accurate.

Olivier the question was somewhat rhetorical (not to mention off-topic), in answer to an earlier comment by Greenlantern, but you in no way make a fool of yourself with knowledge like that.

Being a self-confessed Hamilton fan, obviously I would dearly love to see him prevail, but whichever of the two Merc drivers win would in my opinion be a worthy champion, whether by double points (which I loathe) or not.

I would certainly NOT describe a title won by either Lewis or Nico as meaningless. Surely a win during the Schumacher era, when you are in a winning car with a guarantee of no competition from your team mate, would be more accurately described as coming under that category.

Although I don't think it will happen, I have voted for my fellow Aussie. I suspect there will be open warfare between the Merc drivers now.

I also have to admit that, should one of the Merc drivers prevail, to me it will be the most meaningless WDC since Mansell's. In his case, there were so many driver aids that stabilized the car, kept brakes from locking and shifted the gears for him that the driver was left with nothing to do but steer and ply the throttle.

This year, the car is so superior to every other team's that the WCC is the championship that is a true indicator of the season. IMO, if you had Chilton and Maldonado in the cars, they would be getting wins (although probably not a WDC, since they aren't very good at keeping the plot on the road).

I know that won't be a popular assessment, but I believe it is accurate.
Sooooo, Merc should feel bad because they designed a car that is vastly superior?

Back
Top Bottom