Poll Who will get the Williams 2nd seat?

Who will get the Williams seat next to Stroll?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
To be honest Lance is on a loser when all three. If he beats them everyone will say it's no big deal he should have done. If he loses everyone will say he shouldn't be in F1.

If the Williams is a good car next year it will be because of Paddy Lowe and we'll only be 4 races in before someone says "imagine what Alonso could do with that car". If the Williams is a crap car it will be because Lance Stroll is not experienced enough to have developed it.

Like I said pre-season - people have already made their minds up.

Last edited:
The real losers are Williams - they have not learned their lessons with Maldonado .. taking a driver with more money ( and probably less talent) does not mean better results. Williams are in a worse position then they should be in. They need drivers who can lead the team . Hulkenberg would have been a good team leader

I think that's a load of gash. I think you could have had Lewis Hamilton and the ghost of Fangio driving for them and the car still would have been god dam awful. It's been awful in the same way for the last 4 years so I Don't know what difference bringing Stroll in has made at all to their overall performance other than its his skill that's grabbed them their best results and his sponsorship that's paid the bills.

Williams have everyone convinced they are still an F1 super power but let's face it every car they've produced since 2009 has been rubbish. Having the Merc engine has really masked that fact at certain circuits burnt remains a fact.

RasputinLives The 2012 Williams Renault was not a bad car... certainly a consistent podium challenging it should have been but Maldonado kept binning the damn thing

2009 - they had a car that should have got podiums more consistently when the advantage was there beacause of the double diffusers but they did not capitalise. Nakajima was more of a hinderance if anything just for the sake of getting free engines

Yes Merc power has really masked their weakness hugely on tracks where mechanical grip or aero grip is more important but Hamilton would have done a better job than Massa or Stroll

The Pits Yes but he should have got more podiums were it not for his accidents

Having a driver that brings in money is not helping Williams stopping going down the wrong end of the pitlane

Last edited:
Il_leone Maldonado binned the car, because he was always on the of capabilities during his time at Williams, especially in 2012. He should have scored more podiums and points than he did, but let’s not forget that Williams also had a second driver who completely failed. He seems to have been so bad that people only remember Maldonado crashing the car in 2012 and talk about him as if he was Williams’ only driver that year.

Back to Stroll, I don’t care who his teammate will be, he has to beat him though. He’s close to beating Massa this season, if and can score a few more points.

Last edited:
He seems to have been so bad that people only remember Maldonado crashing the car in 2012 and talk about him as if he was Williams’ only driver that year.

In terms of competitiveness, he was. But then that's having two pay drivers for you. A decent steady-but-slowish driver would have cleaned up that year.

Rutherford against Bruno Senna he was faster which was a surprise but he really did not back it up with the results. I always wonder how much better Nico Hulkenberg would have been in the car?

I understand Williams don't have the resources to complete with the big boys but surely they need to think about upcoming drivers with points to prove and not has beens like Massa in their car.

The last few years they've had pay drivers in their cars and they just have not done as well as they should have which really defeats the object of having a pay driver if its actually not stopping them zooming down the wrong end of the pitlane

Were Bottas and Massa pay drivers?

Also you are talking about Williams needing experience in the car but at the same time getting rid of Massa who is one of the most experienced drivers in F1. I'm not campaigning for Massa to stay just pointing out how the two contradict each other.

For what it's worth if Williams had the driver pairing of Stroll/Bottas this season like they intended to have I don't know whether any of what is being said here would have been relevant. Also I see no evidence of Hulkenberg as a team leader who develops a car.

Williams will be the same next season as they have been for most of the last season. Good at Austria and Silverstone, at the back at Hungary and Singapore, completely useless in the wet, and have a whole load of articles written about how they should be F1's 4th team.

RasputinLives It would be if Stroll was getting absolutely hammered by Bottas which he probably would have been

Hulkbenberg would have been a more regular points scorer than either Massa or Maldonado and occassionally get the car up to challenge the bigger teams when it should not have like he has done at times with Sauber, Force India and Renault.

It seems the Strolls do have an influence who will be Lance's partner as Di Resta is suddenly becoming the leading candidate

Formula 1 (Sky Sports)

di Resta’s F1 return hopes

Apparently they don;t want Kubica to test in a 2014 car at Suzuka and want to test the car themselves ready for Austin whilst Kubica will now have to finance the plan to test within Europe during that time... interesting politics but a sad indictment if Williams are being held ransom like this. Frank Williams would have never stood for this when he was running the team

Looks like Rutherford displeasure about Lance Stroll might be true

RasputinLives It would be if Stroll was getting absolutely hammered by Bottas which he probably would have been

Funny thing but last year you were saying Bottas wasn't good enough because Massa could match him. Now though apparently Massa is too slow and Bottas would have 'hammered' Stroll. Meanwhile Hulkenberg is a god who can put crap machinery into the points despite the fact he has been done by Perez for last two seasons (Perez is now seen as too slow of course because of Ocon). Add into the mix that Paul Di Resta is now a sign the Stroll's are dictating driver choice for a weaker team mate for Lance despite the fact that you more than anyone on this forum have pushed his talent and return to F1.

I'm really confused.

Last edited:
You might as well call Williams - Team Stroll because if this is true now they want to pick the other driver

Bottas - was not good last year because he did not put away Massa as easily as he should have with a very bad start at the beginning of the year
. So the pressure would have been more on Bottas to lead and trounce Stroll .. then the boot would have been on Lance - why is he in F1? If Lance was so much slower and accident prone

Di Resta as long as he has Mercedes connections ( rightly or wrongly will always be considered as an alternative for Mercedes powered cars except Force India as far as I see there are no other Mercedes backed driver that want to do F1 apart from Ocon/ Wehrlein ( who nobody likes to work with) and Russell.

I did not say Di Resta has a right to a seat in F1 .. he has to earn it but it does seem whenever a seat is available he has been mentioned in some quarters as an alternative. So he must have a good PR machine behind him with Toto Wolff

He messed up at Force India which was always going to bite him if he does not get the big drives which was evident in his last season at the team. Perez is in a similar situation and if he did not have his Mexican Pesos he would be out of Force India by now

The situation at Williams is complicated by their sponsors wanting drivers over 25 years old because that rules out Wehrlein for a few years at least that would be Mercedes preferred option

Well a second life line for Di Resta possibly which means there might be a bit more respite on Stroll if Di Resta is race rusty for being out of F1. If Di Resta is quick straight out of the box then more eyebrows will be raised .

IT might have 2-1 to Perez at Force India vs Hulkenberg but it certainly has not devalued Nico's stock and credibility. If anything his has risen whilst Perez because some of his stupid antics with Ocon has devalued slightly

Last edited:
Is Paul Di Resta a Mercedes backed driver? I asked this before because I'm really not clear on it. He is not part of the Mercedes driver programme.

Rutherford That his Dad pretty much funds all the additional testing for him to get better . In case you have not heard Di Resta is now looking likely to be Lance 's teammate because the Strolls don't want Kubica to test the 2014 car at Suzuka and instead the car will be shipped to Austin for Lance to test

Back
Top Bottom