Where to next for F1?

FB

Not my cup of cake
Valued Member
No, not some diatribe about why the driver isn't important anymore etc, etc.

Joe Saward's blog reckons next on the list, after Korea (that's gone well hasn't it?) and India (racing through ponds if the BBC report is anything to go by), are Chicago and Mauritius.

An interesting visitor to the Formula 1 paddock in Singapore, in addition to Chicago politician Dennis Hastert (making his second visit to an F1 race) was Mauritius Prime Minister Dr Navinchandra Ramgoolam. Mauritius is one of Africa’s wealthier countries, with an economy that is dependent on sugar, textiles, and tourism. The latter has become increasingly important as sugar prices have dropped and Asian competition in the textile industry has hurt the Mauritius economy. Thus the government has been concentrating in recent years on tourism, although the policy has been aimed at high-end tourists, with the development of luxury hotels, golf courses, and spa hotels. Most of the visitors come from Europe, which makes up 70% of the trade. The problem is that the industry has been hurt recently by the decline in the value of the Euro and the government has been trying to find ways to solve problems in the longer term, rather than devaluing the rupee. Mauritius has sponsored events such as the Cannes Film Festival, Royal Ascot and the Cartier Polo competition. In addition there is a push to attract new clients from Asia and the Middle East.
Mauritius is a parliamentary republic and a member of various Pan-African organisations and it would be a neat way for Formula 1 to be able to claim that it is in the African market. It is also worth noting that the idea of a race in the country has been kicking around for a few years, as the ex-President of the Fédératon Française du Sport Automobile (FFSA) Jacques Régis retired there when he gave up his role in France. It is thought that Régis may even have proposed the idea of a race in one of the nearby French islands when he was looking for solutions for the French Grand Prix.

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/

There are 20 races next year which is apparently the limit.
In 2012 there is the US GP so one race will have to be dropped for that.

Which other races are going to be dropped to accommodate these new venues?

Brogan said:
There are 20 races next year which is apparently the limit.
In 2012 there is the US GP so one race will have to be dropped for that.

Which other races are going to be dropped to accommodate these new venues?

Bernie was saying in his interview yesterday that venue's that weren't upto scratch would be the ones that get the axe.

The bad news is that includes Spa, Canada, Interlagos and possibly the Hungaroring.

So basically any track that wasn't designed by Tilke.

Silverstone only escapes due to the new contract and extensive redevelopment work. Monaco was rumoured to be under threat but I don't think he would have the nerve and if he axed Monza then Ferrari would probably pull out as well.

So arguably the best circuit on the track (Spa) followed by two of the best of the rest (Canada and Interlagos)?

The guy really doesn't have a clue.

I expect if he was around for much longer F1 would devolve to 26 mobile advertising slogans circulating around sterile, safe VIP friendly theme parks.

It's just sad.

Could do with posting the interview in case anyone missed it yesterday. It was on the Forum so I'm not sure if its on iplayer or not.

EJ did ask all the right questions and there are a few good things in the pipeline including HD broadcasting next year.

He did hint at the possibility of retiring as well.

F1 is more about corporate entertainment and less about racing. We need a new man in charge to get the sport going in the right direction.

I'm of the opinion that 20 should be the limit so it's time to prune if they want any more countries to join the circus.

I think there should be a "Crown Jewels" list of 10 tracks that have guarenteed rights to host (or at least preferential bids). Which tracks these are would be open for debate but at the very least it would have to be Australia, Italy, Monaco, GB, Canada, Spa, Brazil, Japan, Germany and a US GP. The remaining tracks should be invited to tender for slots of no more than 2 years. If and it's a big IF some sort of continental (i.e. European GP) is still to take place then it should be awarded to the country of the reigning WDC) that way it would be a boost to the fans of from that country for their driver winning and ensure that we aren't stuck with Valencia forever.

Sadly, since the rise of government backed circuit investment the traditional race tracks that have to be ran as a buisness will never be able to compete. There is no way on earth given the current financial climate the British Government would do anything more than make a few noises in the direction of Bernie had the contract for the British GP not been sorted and the same could be said for pretty much any of the European tracks.

Brogan said:
We can only hope they don't.

Yes, we need to have space in the calendar for great venues like Valencia, Barcelona and Hungaroring. And of course Bahrain and other dull places.

Puhoon said:
Brogan said:
We can only hope they don't.

Yes, we need to have space in the calendar for great venues like Valencia, Barcelona and Hungaroring. And of course Bahrain and other dull places.

Sorry to disagree here but there's a huge difference between a great venue and a great circuit.

Valencia and Singapore may have the glamour and look fantastic from a corporate point of view but when it comes to the racing they are as dull as Bahrain. F1 needs the money that these venues attract but if they sacrifice the racing who will be watching?

Barcelona is one of the more dated circuits now so hopefully that could be facing the axe.

In an ideal world the people with the money should invest in the existing circuits that have a history of fantastic racing.

I would be happy if a big sponsor like Santander or Eithad Airlines took over the running of SPA and updated the pit complex and grandstands which would bring the circuit upto the standards of the Tilkedromes on the condition that they do not touch the layout of the circuit.

Brogan said:
So arguably the best circuit on the track (Spa) followed by two of the best of the rest (Canada and Interlagos)?
The guy really doesn't have a clue.
You could argue that tracks like Interlagos would have only themselves to blame if they were cut; they have often been quoted as one of the worst circuits (if not the worst) on the calendar for the standard of their facilities; so if Silverstone can bring itself into the 21st century in this respect, why not these others?

I'm pretty sure Puhoon was bring sarcastic when he praised Barcelona, Valencia and Budapest!

I don't see why everywhere should be guaranteed a GP every year. It seems to me that they could have cat's list of 10 crown jewels and rotate the others as appropriate. That way F1 gets around but still has its key races.

teabagyokel said:
I'm pretty sure Puhoon was bring sarcastic when he praised Barcelona, Valencia and Budapest!.

Yes. I thought that no one would even consider that someone in their right mind would think that those places are good for F1.

In my opinion, Singapore is a good addition to the calendar and deserves its place. The race this year was also better than average.

teabagyokel said:
I'm pretty sure Puhoon was bring sarcastic when he praised Barcelona, Valencia and Budapest!
As was I with my response.

I never mentioned those tracks so for him to suggest that I considered them good venues was worthy of such a flippant retort.

The reason tracks like interlagos are so exciting, is because they are a bit worn out, and very fast. So what what if the pit complex is a bit small, and the track is falling to bits, it alwys produces great racing, and is a sell out crowd. Forgive me for being sceptical, but I doubt Bernie is all that worried about safety with the older tracks, and he will have to think up a very good excuse to kick interlagos off the calendar and convince me >:(. Rant over.

I'm down with the "10 classics" as being untouchable - But say, for example Spa loses £200,000 on hosting the GP why not then charge the new circuits more if they want to be in it.

I for one would say that any list of 10 untouchables would have to include a race in France. It borders on criminal that a country with their storied history in motorsports in general and formula 1 in particular doesn't currently have a race.

siffert_fan said:
I for one would say that any list of 10 untouchables would have to include a race in France. It borders on criminal that a country with their storied history in motorsports in general and formula 1 in particular doesn't currently have a race.

Good point. I forgot about France.

I mean it's not as if the current Formula One Supremo doesn't own a circuit there either........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circuit_Paul_Ricard

A race in Mauritiaus, great idea there, an island nations slowly being swallowed up by the rising ocean due to climate change hosting an F1 race which to be a success will involve flying in thousands of tourists to buy tickets which are completely out of the reach of 95% of the indigenous population.

I like the idea of a crown jewels list but I would be hones and say I doubt 10 is necessary; Spa, Hockenheim, Monza, Silverstone and Suzuka are what I would keep and though I don't rate it I think it is very difficult to drop Monaco.

Don't really understand why 20 races is the max though if I am honest: Why not schedule more back to back race weekends or introduce the idea of a tour; 3 races in 3 weeks in a region (followed by a 2 week break); the whole global hopping nature just makes no sense to me; the end of the season will be Korea to Brazil and then back to Abu Dhabi; if they are switching the engines to 1.6l for green reasons, should the schedule also change rather than crossing the globe one way and then jumping back the other way 2 weeks later.

Back
Top Bottom