When did all this nonsense begin ?

DOF_power

Banned
Seriously, overtaking being considered an art (I guess Nuvolari, Rosemeyer, Fangio and Co. were not artists for slipstreaming and/or driving considerably faster cars then most), or the use of the word artificial.

From great slipstream racing (on great GP slipstream tracks) to now hearing this "too NASCAR like" nonsense.
Artificial KERS, yeah right ... like carbon fibre open wheelers with wings on slicks are not artificial, but production car technology is. And when you consider that some production car are now having over-boost ...
crazy.gif

Do these guys anything about the history, the roots of this sport ?
GP racing has become so ****ed up

Anyone knows the answer ?

Was it in the 70s, 80s, 90s that this BS brigade came along with BS nonsense like artificial and art ?!

Are you trolling?

Just asking a reasonable question. When I read some old articles from the 1970s, people were complaining about chicanes, lack of overtaking and the end slipstream racing.

Nobody talked about overtaking as an art and other such nonsense.

art
1 [ahrt]
–noun
1. the quality, production, expression, or realm, according to aesthetic principles, of what is beautiful, appealing, or of more than ordinary significance.
2. the class of objects subject to aesthetic criteria; works of art collectively, as paintings, sculptures, or drawings: a museum of art; an art collection.
3. a field, genre, or category of art: Dance is an art.
4. the fine arts collectively, often excluding architecture: art and architecture.
5. any field using the skills or techniques of art: advertising art; industrial art.
6. (in printed matter) illustrative or decorative material: Is there any art with the copy for this story?
7. the principles or methods governing any craft or branch of learning: the art of baking; the art of selling.
8. the craft or trade using these principles or methods.
9. skill in conducting any human activity: a master at the art of conversation.
10. a branch of learning or university study, esp. one of the fine arts or the humanities, as music, philosophy, or literature.
11. arts,
a. (used with a singular verb) the humanities: a college of arts and sciences.
b. (used with a plural verb) liberal arts.
12. skilled workmanship, execution, or agency, as distinguished from nature.
13. trickery; cunning: glib and devious art.
14. studied action; artificiality in behavior.
15. an artifice or artful device: the innumerable arts and wiles of politics.
16. Archaic . science, learning, or scholarship.

Courtesy of Dictionary.com

Anyone has some actual historical knowledge ?!

I know that by the late 70s many racefans (driver fanboys are not racefans), especially in Italy, and some in Britain as well, were really miffed about the lack/ decline of overtaking.
Some of the really old racefans still talk (negatively) about the wings being added in 68 and the chicanes of early-mid 70s.

I know Clay Regazzoni mentioned after his Indy adventure in 77, that by comparison in F1 starting from the back and gaining positions to be able to challenge for the win was not possible (as it was at Indy).

I think with the decline in overtaking (as seen on the charts) from 85 onwards (after the brief early 80s renaissance), the new TV driver fanboy brigade stirred up by arrogant aerodynamicists or team bosses came up with phrases/ nonsense such as "overtaking is an art; overtaking shouldn't be easy".

I know of Mosley even said, in the late 90s, that F1 is like chess and shouldn't have much passing. That's when the NASCAR "comparison"/ nonsense begun.

Older drivers talked (even insisted) on the use of the splistream (S. Moss and Co), not blocking (D. Gurney, K. Rosberg), performance differences (at least on track sectors if not overall) and even putting 2 wheel on the grass on tight circuits (J.M. Fangio about his Nurburgring '57 victory) as means to overtake.
And that's also true of the old racefans

As I mentioned I know about NASCAR "comparison"/ nonsense starting in the late 90s/early 2000s. I also know

But can someone really pinpoint (accurately) when the "overtaking is an art; overtaking shouldn't be easy" mentality begun and took over ?!

I strongly object to the term "driver fanboy" since it implies that you have to be a qualified expert to be a fan of motor racing. What would you say for example, are your list of criteria to be a "race fan"? If I was to say that I support a driver but not a team and would support that driver regardless of who he drives for then would that make me a "driver fanboy" and not a "race fan" even though I may have an excellent knowledge of F1 as a whole.

Many of the users of this forum fall in to that catagory and would object to being described at in this way.

I strongly object to the term "driver fanboy" since it implies that you have to be a qualified expert to be a fan of motor racing. What would you say for example, are your list of criteria to be a "race fan"? If I was to say that I support a driver but not a team and would support that driver regardless of who he drives for then would that make me a "driver fanboy" and not a "race fan" even though I may have an excellent knowledge of F1 as a whole.

Many of the users of this forum fall in to that catagory and would object to being described at in this way.

Driver fanboys in my book are those who support a driver/ personality as he's a god, but not the sport and are quite ignorant and biased.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaNsR-UCgKg
At 3:30 you can see the fanboys leaving; easy come but of-course easy go.

Driver fanboys in my book are those who support a driver/ personality as he's a god, but not the sport and are quite ignorant and biased At 3:30 you can see the fanboys leaving; easy come but of-course easy go.

Too true, the Tifosi have never streamed out of Monza when both Ferraris have gone out have they?

Back
Top Bottom