Weird Science

Would it be different if the bullet had already gained velocity by being fired in to the water rather than under water?

FB I think that the water slows the bullet down even though it has already gained velocity. When running ballistic forensics the operator will fire a weapon into a closed container and one of the ways they use to get the bullet undamaged after firing is to fill the container with water as this slows the bullet sufficiently to allow it to come to rest without damage. I am guessing you may get further travel as the bullet needs to slow down from a faster velocity before falling to the floor, but I don't think it is that much more effective...

Thanks Canis, I've seen the water traps for ballistics in things like CSi. I asked the question because when you watch films like Saving Private Ryan troops are being shot underwater with barely a hint of the bullet slowing down as it enters the water. Is Hollywood is lying to me? Stupid question really...

Now imagine it mounted with a mini gun. Now imagine there are 20,000 of them. Now imagine that Google, who own Boston Dynamics decides that world domination is a good idea or lets hope Skynet doesn't happen any time soon. Nothing to worry about here, move along. LOL ;)

Pretty dam amazing tech.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom