Webber raced with broken shoulder.

siffert_fan

Too old to watch the Asian races live.
Contributor
According to the Autosport website, Webber says in his new book that he raced the final 4 races of the 2010 season with a skier's fracture of the shoulder, obtained when he crashed on his mountain bike. His first time back on one since he broke his leg in 2008!

Is this credible, or is it excuse-making? Shouldn't RBR now modify his contract to prohibit his going anywhere near a mountain bike?
 

Speshal

World Champion
Valued Member
I'll bet the Red Bull doctor strapped him up and provided him with enough pain killers.

Look at the motoGP lot, Rossi did most of this season with a knackered shoulder then leg.

Excuses, excuses.
 

sportsman

Sidecar racers have the biggest cojones
Contributor
Apparently he kept it secret from the team.Horner is not impressed.
Webber kept the shoulder injury, which required pain-killing injections, secret from his team at the time - and did not even inform them once the campaign had finished.

"That course of action has left Horner far from impressed - even though the team principal does not think the injury led to any drop in form from Webber.

"I didn't even know about the book, let alone the shoulder," Horner was quoted as saying by The Daily Telegraph. "It is obviously disappointing that Mark said nothing. It was an injury that did not appear to have any effect on his performance but all the same it would have been nice to know about it."

Horner also suggested that the cycling incident may point to the fact that Webber would be better off keeping clear of mountain biking while he is still racing.

"Our drivers have an obligation to make sure they are fit," he said. "It seems bikes don't agree with Mark so maybe it would be better if he stayed away from them."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/88608
 

snowy

Champion Elect
I have no idea if he is being honest in his book, it would seem extremely inconsiderate not to have informed the team. Though I can sort of understand that he wouldn't have wanted to give Sebastian any extra incentive, ammunition or encouragement.

However, to actually go out and fracture your shoulder on a mountain bike! :givemestrength: During what is your best - conceivably one and only - shot at winning the Formula 1 World Championship is stupidity on such an unimaginable scale as to render all other efforts at Chumpdom inconsequential.

Chump of the season:
Mark Webber :1st:
 

fat jez

Race Winner
Valued Member
snowy said:
However, to actually go out an fracture your shoulder on a mountain bike, during what is your best conceivably your one and only shot at winning the Formula 1 World Championship is stupidity on such an unimaginable scale as to render all other efforts at Chumpdom inconsequential.

Can you suggest other means of him maintaining a high level of fitness that wouldn't risk injury?
 

ATL11

Podium Finisher
How about looking it at another way, could this now be a contrived reason to release Webber from his contract over the Winter?
 

fat jez

Race Winner
Valued Member
ATL11 said:
How about looking it at another way, could this now be a contrived reason to release Webber from his contract over the Winter?

Doubtful, unless there is a specific clause in his contract that says he must inform the team of any injuries sustained during the course of a season.
 

teabagyokel

#dejavu
Valued Member
fat_jez said:
ATL11 said:
How about looking it at another way, could this now be a contrived reason to release Webber from his contract over the Winter?

Doubtful, unless there is a specific clause in his contract that says he must inform the team of any injuries sustained during the course of a season.

Unless someone gave him some Relentless to perk him up...
 

Andrea_Moda_Rules

Podium Finisher
Unlucky for Webber, I couldn't disagaree with snowy more tbh. thought it was a bit odd when i head bout him going for surgery, know we know why.

BUT if i was Horner. I would be livid, red with anger that webber decided not to tell anyone about the injury. Thats just incredable. something that problerly cost MW the title and alomsr RedBull, Its gotta cost you sometime track if your not racing at 100%. Id be tempted to sack him for that, mull it over and keep him at the team but keep Webber on a tight leash, make sure i know when he eats, sleeps, rides bikes, jumps in bed with his missus etc.
 

ATL11

Podium Finisher
Andrea_Moda_Rules said:
Unlucky for Webber, I couldn't disagaree with snowy more tbh. thought it was a bit odd when i head bout him going for surgery, know we know why.

BUT if i was Horner. I would be livid, red with anger that webber decided not to tell anyone about the injury. Thats just incredable. something that problerly cost MW the title and alomsr RedBull, Its gotta cost you sometime track if your not racing at 100%. Id be tempted to sack him for that, mull it over and keep him at the team but keep Webber on a tight leash, make sure i know when he eats, sleeps, rides bikes, jumps in bed with his missus etc.

I can't believe Red Bull won't take the opportunity:

They can remove Webber & bring in some talented Austrian/German driver to support Seb @ no.2, who'll do what they say.
They could say his actions especially with the injury being non F1 related going against his contract.
Also another theory would the injury have stopped him getting out of a car in the alloted time in case of a fire?

The plot thickens, it's gone quiet in F1 what with the Lotus Question:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2422

& Also the new 2011 Regs with no Team Orders now:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2424
 

FB

Not my cup of cake
Valued Member
Jenson Button is off to do a triathlon in Australia shortly, let's hope MW hasn't given him any advice on how to ride his bike :snigger:

On the matter in question, one has to wonder quite what Webber was up to as there are lots of other ways he could have maintained his fitness. He obviously rides his bike in a similar way to how he drives his F1 car when close to anyone else.
 
Top Bottom