Webber at Red Bull for 2011

FB

Not my cup of cake
Valued Member
Despite my prediction that Webber would be "retired" by Red Bull at the end of the season the Championship leader has signed a contract extension to keep him at the team for 2011.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8725679.stm

As we all know F1 contracts aren't worth the paper they're written on (otherwise Kimi Raikkonen would be sitting in a Ferrari this season) so it must give Webber a warm feeling that even if Red Bull pension him off at the end of the year, because he had the temerity to beat the Wünderkind Vettel, he has a year's money in his pocket.

Well done Mark, stop moaning quite so much and I might get to like you :D

What a strange time to announce it too, just as all the kerfuffle over Turkey is dying down ;)

A cynic would say it's either as a sweetener or Mark has been asked to play nice with Seb for this year on the understanding that it's his turn next year.

Ultimately though there aren't that many choices for next year are there?

Lewis and Jenson are at McLaren.

Alonso is at Ferrari and the team have hinted that Massa will be re-signed.

I suppose there's a seat at Mercedes alongside Michael or he could go to Renault but neither of them are considered top seats.

It may be an indication that the powers that be at Red Bull recognize that Seb, although occasionally brilliant, also does incredibly bone-headed things too often to be a credible WDC contender. They have probably decided that it is a good idea to keep a more level-headed (and very fast) driver around while providing Seb with another year to mature (grow up).

In a 'better the devil you know' kind of way?

As long as one of the stipulations is that they don't pose for any more of those cringeworthy photos.

Bullfrog said:
As long as one of the stipulations is that they don't pose for any more of those cringeworthy photos.
+1

That photo was cheesier than the extra mature farmhouse cheddar I just had for my lunch.

Fortunately I have no idea what Photo you are talking about.

Mark has certainly proven that he is worthy of another year at Red Bull, He's had a lot of detractors in the past (sounds like some sort of West country farming tool. who's got detractor?? Anyone? Anyone? No ok) I know because I'm one of them. This season however he has certainly shown he can run at the front and handle the pressure.

Will RBR go on to spoil their own party with internal politics? That remains to be seen but MW should be feeling pretty pleased with himself at the moment.

BTW, Welcome to the site Bullfrog. :goodday:

Just for you cat :dontmentionit:

Attachments

• vettel_webber.jpg
    vettel_webber.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 92
Oh gee thanks, you shouldn't have. NO REALLY, YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE !!!

By the way, as winner of the last caption comp haven't you missed an opportunity there. ;)

"So, Seb. How much room does yours need? About this much?"

"Nah! About this much more than other drivers. Didn't the team tell you?!"

Speshal said:
Mark's turn this year, read gunner for Seb next?

If there has been a "If you scratch my back, I'll give you a reach-around" agreement, then that's also how I see it, based on the driver ages.

Muddytalker said:
Speshal said:
Mark's turn this year, read gunner for Seb next?

If there has been a "If you scratch my back, I'll give you a reach-around" agreement, then that's also how I see it, based on the driver ages.

Interesting decision by Red Bull considering the dustup btwn. Webbo and Sebby V back in Istanbul, but not unexpected. 2011 could be a different story, though, especially if Webbo outperforms Sebby V the rest of 2010...............

Back
Top Bottom