US GP Site Announcement

F1Yorkshire said:
sportsman said:
F1Yorkshire said:
sportsman said:
In a nutshell yes.I have Autocad on my computer and I am able to open the FIA provided templates.

There is very little room to do much more than Tilke actually does. :censored:

I too am a CAD monkey and have the ability to open the files. Where would I find them?

Click on the FIA link.Takes a bit of searching.They are labelled templates.

Sorry.Wrong link.Try this one. http://www.fia.com/en-GB/sport/regulati ... cuits.aspx

Excellent I now have the same tools as Herman Tilke. I'll start submitting some plans to Bernie, I'll let you know if I get anywhere.

Rather you than me.The run off maths are mind boggling

In fact pretty much anyone can have a go if they can find an old copy of Free 2 Design or similar freebie CAD package (think3 no longer support it unfortunately, I guard my work copy very jealously).

I reckon there's lots of stuff that can open .dwg files.

Bullfrog said:
In fact pretty much anyone can have a go if they can find an old copy of Free 2 Design or similar freebie CAD package (think3 no longer support it unfortunately, I guard my work copy very jealously).

I reckon there's lots of stuff that can open .dwg files.

There is software that will allow you to open them, true enough.But I am not aware of any that give you the ability to work with the.ie overlays etc.

I regularly tinker with people files that were created with Autocad, overlays and multi layering included. Not sure I'd be able to make similar things from scratch (seeing as I taught myself by poking into other peoples drawings) but I'm almost certain I could do something with existing files.

Bullfrog said:
I regularly tinker with people files that were created with Autocad, overlays and multi layering included. Not sure I'd be able to make similar things from scratch (seeing as I taught myself by poking into other peoples drawings) but I'm almost certain I could do something with existing files.

90% of CAD work is stealing other blocks and linetypes that other people have created so anyone can design a track. The real money is to be made surveying locations suitable to the job and then convincing someone to pay for it all.

F1Yorkshire said:
Bullfrog said:

90% of CAD work is stealing other blocks and linetypes that other people have created so anyone can design a track. The real money is to be made surveying locations suitable to the job and then convincing someone to pay for it all.

Hmmmmm firstly there are no existing files for this track to tinker with.And as I am a structural engineer all of my drawings are protected by CADlock to prevent architects from tinkering with them.
So although you can see them you can't modify them.
I don't know what sort of drawings you guys deal with but unless you can produce drawings from scratch with 3D visualisations then your chances are pretty slim.

Flood1 said:
I have posted a drawing that includes contour lines and elevations for the site here -

http://www.formula1journal.com/2010/08/ ... lood1.html

This may help a bit with your designs because doing the design on a 2 dimensional platform would be useless.

Great stuff flood.
That is a very interesting topograhical drawing.Its clear that the undulations are enough to provide something very different from the dead flat recent new tracks.

I have to say if this track goes ahead as planned Bernie might have finally provided us with a decent venue for a US Grand Prix, potentially the best since Long Beach. That said to give Bernie credit probably isn't the right thing to do, it appears the people behind this track look like they want to make something special.

FB said:
I have to say if this track goes ahead as planned Bernie might have finally provided us with a decent venue for a US Grand Prix, potentially the best since Long Beach. That said to give Bernie credit probably isn't the right thing to do, it appears the people behind this track look like they want to make something special.

Indeed they do.And this is far from another Donington debacle.The finances are verifiably in place.
The principal investor Red McCoombs owns a construction company apart from his other interests.So the construction schedule can easily be met.
This has all the makings of being something a bit special in terms of a race track.Yas Marina is special but certainly not for the track.
Thats boring.

Hmmm there is a lot more to this than just an F1 track.This is very carefully structured development project covering many different areas.One thing for sure is, that this is the result of at least a couple of years of groundwork and planning.

F1Yorkshire said:
Has anyone read the latest on Formula1.com?

http://www.formula1.com/news/interviews ... 11133.html

All sounds good in relation to the elevation changes but I'm not so sure about Danica Patrick been part of F1 just so they can promote the sport in the US. If she is fast enough on the track let her come but don't let her in just because she looks good.

Yeah i read that article, but (not actually knowing anything about Danica) i think they were referring to the work ethic, suggesting US racing drivers aren't quite the 'Athletes' our current generation are and that maybe she is a good choice of American driver because she is hard working...??

Flood or Sportsman should be able to put us straight there...

Its difficult to say how good she would be in F1.She was linked to defucnt USF1 team, and she stated then she had no interest in F1.
Historically Indycar/Champ car drivers have found the transition to F1 very difficult.
Sebastian Bourdais was a four time Champ Car champion and he had a dismal time in F1.

The only sure way is for her to test in an F1 car and see.That is impossible these days.

Back
Top Bottom