Tyred of the current state of F1?

Mephistopheles

That hasn't really happened, though. We were all worried about it but Alonso's win was the only real win against form over the weekend but that was rain induced. Rain always introduces an element of randomness due to the requirement for the car to work differently.

I would have and did have the same opinion as you a few races ago but in actuality the concerns have turned out to be a load of hot air.

Based on what, though? Your description and reasoning seems to be based on a perception of events which have not happened, but in fact have ony threatened to.

And suddenly an act of god happens such as a spot of rain over night or the track temp goes up or down by a millionth of a degree and all those hours of effort put in by the teams in the FP's count for sod all just because of the skinny operating window of the black round things on their cars, but one team or driver gets lucky with set up and wins the race at a canter who previously was nowhere in the FP's.

Can you give an example of a race this year when a driver has gotten lucky as you say? I'm pretty sure (without checking) that every race this year has been won by a driver who was showing well on Friday. Lewis was super quick in practice in Montreal, Maldonado's Friday times in Spain weren't noticed at the time, but he was as quick or quicker than anyone else on high fuel. Ditto Vettel and the Lotuses in Bahrain, Rosberg in China and the McLarens in Oz.

What we need is a poll
What do you think of the Pirelli Lottery

1) It makes everything exciting and better.
2) Its great and all but its playing too much a part.
3) Killing the sport.

If someone wants to make it a poll please go ahead. Its just that i cant.

We can't really have a poll on that because that would be assuming it's a lottery to begin with.
Which I personally don't think it is, since tyres are the same for everybody. There's no lottery there, just cars that prove easier on their tyres than others, and tactics that work better than others. :goodday:

Its not an extreme lottery but it definetly is a lottery.
Who predicted McLaren to be dominant in Melbourne then drop off in Malaysia and watch Sauber and Ferrari beat them. And who saw Mercedes after Melbourne and Malaysia all of a sudden dominate the Chinese Grand Prix only to drop off and watch Red Bull and Lotus dominate in Bahrain only to watch them drop off and then see Williams and Ferrari/Fernando have a 2 way battle for the win in Spain. Who then saw the Number 2 Red Bull win in Monaco followed by Rosberg, Alonso, Vettel, Hamilton, Massa who after 78 laps finished 8 seconds from 1st to 6th. Who then saw McLaren suddenly have the race winning pace to win and also see Lotus and Sauber reappear on the podium.
Now most of us think it will be Red Bull and Lotus fighting for the win in Valencia but will it really be that way?

But where's the lottery in any of those? Just means those teams and drivers did the best job on those occasions with the conditions they had to play with didn't they?
Something stuck in my mind after Montreal's post-race interviews, when Alonso claimed it "wasn't the decision (not to pit) that cost him, it was tyre degradation". My first thought was that he was talking balls (Of course it was tyre degradation!) but on second thought I could see what he meant, because the Lotus did pretty much the same number of laps with the softs yet its tyres were still competitive at th end. The implication was that Ferrari's tyre degradation was excessive compared to the Lotus and it was up to Ferrari to sort out and work on.
It's the same with every team. Apparently the Sauber and Lotus are gentler on their tyres than other cars, and every team inferior to them in that respect has a shortcoming in that respect.
No lottery there.

No it's not. Everyone has the same challenge and they are able to influence the outcome of a race by getting the setup right. Lotus seem closest to understanding the way the tyres behave but other teams are not far off. Calling it a lottery is just wrong, the teams know what they have to work with. If Pirelli changed the tyres every other weekend then it would have been a lottery but right now it isn't. Some teams simply understand the tyres better than others and/or have a car that's better suited to these tyres.

Your earlier argument about different teams being fastest in the different races so far is not a good one to be honest. The cars are much, much closer together in performance than they have been in the past. If a front runner is only a few tenths off this year he is outside the top 10, this wasn't the case last year.
The reason different drivers and teams have won so far this year is not just because of the tyres, they play a small role in this of course but it's not just them. Different cars suit different tracks and different drivers have been on form than other drivers during the weekends so far. The rain in Malaysia also plays a factor in this as ExtremeNinja has already said. Putting it all down to the tyres is nonsense.

Lottery as in no one has any clue going into a race weekend whether or not so and so will be competitive
I bet you a tenner that Vettel will be more competitive than Glock in Valencia. Then I will let you go double or quits every race until the end of the season.

If you really believe it is a lottery, then you would take that as the odds would be thet you would break even. I fancy my chances of winning £40,960 though ;)

The thing is that a small gain or a small mistake can make a big difference in the position you finish in because the field is so close. For example, if Webber in Monaco took 0.1% longer to do the race, he would have finished 6th, not first.

Abnash24

Continuously telling everybody that you are right and they are wrong, especially when your opinion flies in the face of all of the evidence, is not conducive to healthy debate. The only thing definite about your opinion is that it is an opinion. If it were proven truth then it would be fact and not opinion at all. I won't try to convince you of my viewpoint but can you see how it might annoy a few people if you shut down others contributions because they don't marry up with the minority conclusion that you have deduced for yourself?

Back
Top Bottom