Two DRS zones from Canada

Brogan

Legend
Staff Member
The FIA’s Charlie Whiting has confirmed that there will be two DRS zones at each race – if the circuit layout allows it – starting from Montreal.
The two zones will have to be consecutive, as the wing will be activated at the same point.
In Montreal they will be the last straight and the pit straight.
Whiting said the software that allows the use of two zones first became available for Turkey, but it wasn’t yet proven.

http://adamcooperf1.com/2011/05/20/two-race-drs-zones-from-montreal-onwards/

(Thanks Mike ;))

So how does this work? Canada for example: will there be another detection point before the last chicane to the second DRS zone? If driver A passes driver B on the backstraight, would driver B be able to use DRS on the pit straight to re-pass?

Too confusing. Just keep it simple, please. Does FIA really think that there were too few overtakes in Turkey so that they have to make another DRS zone?

So how does this work? Canada for example: will there be another detection point before the last chicane to the second DRS zone? If driver A passes driver B on the backstraight, would driver B be able to use DRS on the pit straight to re-pass?

Too confusing. Just keep it simple, please. Does FIA really think that there were too few overtakes in Turkey so that they have to make another DRS zone?
Yeah I think they would be able to retake so drivers may be swapping within 1 lap, lap after lap. It might make it seem like nascar has a lack of overtaking. And with the super abrasive surface as well...

And there I was thinking getting rid of DRS was a good idea...seems as Charlie Whiting thinks differently :(

The only place that the DRS would be handy in Canada is the hairpin at the top of the circuit and the chicane after the pit lane entry. This is a massive mistake from Charlie Whiting, besides the drivers get 8 seconds worth of KER's per-lap and the Canadian GP Circuit is really short. I can't see it working TBH.

I could maybe understand DRS needing two zones at Circuits like Malaysia, China or Turkey. But not short circuits like Canada.

If it were two shorter zones I wouldn't be opposed, it could allow the driver closer but they would still have to make a move stick. At the moment it is one boost per lap whereas two short zones may remove the idea of overtaking zones and just make drivers get on with it anywhere on the lap.

But it seems a bit strange to double-DRS Montreal.

The current Pirelli's designed to spice up racing were inspired by Montreal 2010 (btw what a race that was huh)

The track surface there breaks doesn't it and it shred the bullet proof bridge-stones to a 3 stop race much like we indeed have now.

And I believe the tyres taken there will be soft and super soft and with KERS and now double-DRS

wohoo hahaha its gonna be mayhem

I wonder :thinking:Is there some one upmanship going on here? Will we see triple, quadruple, quintuple Deadly Risk Slot zones popping up as all the venues try to out DRS each other? it's all very DRaStic if you ask me.:bored:

Thank you MCLS for spotting my typo. :embarrassed: You know I'm not like that but I have edited it to read as it should as there are peep's who may not be familiar with my posts and may get the wrong idea. :blink:

When it says the last straight and the pit straight is that the run down to the hairpin and then the run up to the chicane by the "wall of champions"?

I think the last straight is the run up to the chicane and the pit straight is the straight after the chicane, don't quote me on that though

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/91556
http://www.formula1.com/races/in_detail/canada_857/circuit_diagram.html

So it seems there will only be one detection zone - into the turn 10 hairpin.
Then the opportunity to double-deploy KERS on the 2 straights into Turn 12/13 chicane and Turn 1.

I think one zone should be adequate; if you can't get the overtake done coming out of a chicane onto the longest straight, what chance out of that chicane onto a shorter straight? (Couldn't find the exact lengths of the straights).

Also, if someone gets the overtake done into Turn 12/13 chicane, if they are still allowed to deploy for a 2nd time, surely this is an unfair advantage, using it to pull away.

Clearly this year, the right balance hasn't been found with DRS. Any point confusing things further already?

I'm confused by this. Why are we suddenly getting two zones? are the FIA just going to keeping adding them or taking them away depending on how entertaining they think the race is?

Lets face it we've just had the first exciting race in Spain in 20 years and it had nothing to do with the DRS - so why at a track like Canada, which has never had a race thats been short on overtaking, are we suddenly getting 2 zones? makes no sense to me.

Been waiting to see how it works out but I think I'm firmly sitting on the let them use it or don't let them use it side of the fence now. Stuff the zones!

Back
Top Bottom