Today at Silverstone

Jen

Here be dragons.
Contributor
Haven't been to Silverstone since the mid 90s (several weekends away with friends for the "Historics) , although both my kids have - camping for the three days at a time.

I didn't actually recognise the track - somewhere I'd known since I was a teeneger (and tea-tent girl in the late 60's). It was a track, of sorts, surrounded by fields then (I remember/saw 73, was it? when half the field died/ lost it on the first corner) . The improvements are immense and we all know cost an absolute fortune, so one has to wonder why when it has got so close to perfection, that it is all being taken away - (A whole new thread, I think)

Went with my lovely son-in-law, as a guest of McLaren (thankfully didn't come across Ron D.); learnt a lot - now finally understand KERS and what the designers think of it - actually frightens me and them.

Had forgotten the sound of the engines, (although have to say Ferrari had a different timbre) and the speed. Have even more respect for these guys - even those who are going slow are, actually, effing fast. We watched GP2 practise, slower and quieter and just pointed up the difference between the the two formulae.

Nando lost his engine at the end of Hangar Straight and come to a halt just past Stowe; Massa skidded on Renault fluids and ended up in the wall. Both safe, thankfully

It was just brilliant - what else can I say?

Fantastic! what a wonderful experience (even if it was McLaren) ;) Did you get to see Lewis up close and personal?

Are you going back for the race itself or was it just for the day?

I hope the crowd they were supportive to all the drivers and not just Lewis... I'd have loved to be there with it being DC's last GP at Silverstone .. but I left it too late to get tickets couldn't make up my mind if I really wanted to go.

Ah well... if I win the lottery I'd go to Brazil lol

Meanwhile .. as LTLU would say; Oohm, Oohm, Diddly Dom, WIN Alonso etc repeat several times

saltirelass said:
Fantastic! what a wonderful experience (even if it was McLaren) ;) Did you get to see Lewis up close and personal?

Are you going back for the race itself or was it just for the day?

I hope the crowd they were supportive to all the drivers and not just Lewis... I'd have loved to be there with it being DC's last GP at Silverstone .. but I left it too late to get tickets couldn't make up my mind if I really wanted to go.

Ah well... if I win the lottery I'd go to Brazil lol

Meanwhile .. as LTLU would say; Oohm, Oohm, Diddly Dom, WIN Alonso etc repeat several times

Thankfully didn't meet LH (sorry not a
great fan and the only guy to find the grass at Club on second practise), not back for the race although there are tickets available (but can't be given away or flogged).

The crowd were remarkably indifferent, struck me as odd really; the second practise, we were among a lot of LH fans, but they seeemed quite subdued.

But was amazed at the number of people who were pulling small trolleys behind them laden with beer - a sign of the times ?

Sounds great.

I really must make the effort next year to get up there for practice and/or race day.
Watching it live is like the difference between going to the Royal Albert Hall and listening to a CD - no comparison.

Brogan it was an experience (again) - and having done it, you still see more on TV and I love the place - it's part of my childhood, so am biased.

If you want to get to there, it's next year or nothing, it would seem!

Back
Top Bottom