The top 10 most influential people in Formula One

Brogan

Legend
Staff Member
I missed this when it was first published.
It's a piece by Ed Gorman in The Times about the most influential people in F1 and makes for interesting reading.

Ed Gorman said:
The other day, quite a few days ago in fact, on the evening of the Turkish Grand Prix, myself and two colleagues from Fleet Street (who will remain anonymous) played a little game where we listed, in order of importance and without consulting each other first, the top-10 most influential people in Formula One. Of course this was well before the breakaway was announced and the dramas of Paris and it is also very much a British journalist's view, but the lists (saved from dinner at a restaurant round the corner from our Istanbul hotel) still make quite interesting reading.
The full article is here: The top-10 most influential people in Formula One

And the 3 lists?

My list
1. Bernie Ecclestone
2. Donald Mackenzie
3. Max Mosley
4. Richard Woods
5. Tony Purnell
6. Lewis Hamilton
7. Luca di Montezemolo
8. Ron Dennis
9. Fernando Alonso
10. John Howett

Colleague One
1. Bernie Ecclestone
2. Max Mosley
3. Donald Mackenzie
4. Alan Donnelly
5. Richard Woods
6. Luca di Montezemolo
7. Flavio Briatore
8. Dr Dieter Zetsche
9. Lewis Hamilton
10. Head of BBC Sport

Colleague Two
1. Bernie Ecclestone
2. Max Mosley
3. Donald Mackenzie
4. Luca di Montezemolo
5. Richard Woods
6. Alan Donnelly
7. Anthony Hamilton
8. Lewis Hamilton
9. Flavio Briatore
10. Jenson Button
What's interesting is all 3 journalists have the same top 3, albeit in slightly different orders.
And Lewis Hamilton is the only driver on all 3 lists.

Not sure about some of the entries such as "Head of BBC Sport" and Dr Dieter Zetsche but there are some very notable omissions from those lists.

Brogan said:
I missed this when it was first published.
It's a piece by Ed Gorman in The Times about the most influential people in F1 and makes for interesting reading.

............ but there are some very notable omissions from those lists.

In one sense it's a bit of a rubbish article (Gorman's, not yours Bro ;) ) as you average punter has no idea who commands the most influence within f1 however in another sense it is revealing that all 3 hacks have a pretty consistent view and made me look up some of the more obscure entries, interesting to see that they all rate Lewis. Shame it was a straw poll and that they didn't explain their reasonings.

As Bro mentioned there are some interesting omissions and from my armchair perspective I was surprised there was no Ross Brawn but what do I know ;)

Back
Top Bottom