The Test Driver Sprint Race

RasputinLives

No passing through my dirty air please
Contributor
Ok was thinking about how F1 doesn't have the old Sunday morning Warm-Up session it used to have and how its probably a shame for fans going to the track for only the Sunday and then came up with this idea. Lets see what you think.

On Sunday morning a few hours before the race they have an F1 sprint race for the test drivers - Just a quarter of the race distance but enough to give the fans a bit of excitment. No Qualifying just grid slots drawn at random. Teams don't have to enter but if they do they can only run 1 car with 1 driver, No points or championship just racing for pride. I think this would make for some exciting close racing and give the fans who bother to go to the track a little something extra.

It would have various benifits for the teams to run in - the main one being that they would be able to get some track data for the day of the race and some real information on how tyres/engines etc etc run at race speed on the day. Its also and extra test session for them so that if they have new parts they don't want to risk running in the actual race they can try them out and see if they work during proper competition.

Of course the main benifit is that it would create a shop window for young drivers trying to get into F1 as well as giving them experience and preperation for getting into the main race. If it wa running this year we'd had seen Ricciado vs Bianchi vs Hulkenberg vs Senna etc - would have been interesting. Also teams would have been able to compare their race skills directly with those they already have in thier team and if they do need to bring in a driver mid-season that driver is familiar with the car and doesn't have to start learning from scratch.

I understand the cost implications of it are probably the main set-back. As far as I'm aware most teams don't even bring a T-car with them to Grand Prixs anymore but I think the bigger teams would be able to afford it and even with a 6 or 7 car grid I still think it would be worthwhile.

What do you guys think? Should I be sending a memo to Bernie?

This would be fantastic. I can't imagine any fan being opposed to more racing between Formula One cars..

But I don't see it ever happening. As you mentioned, the cost implications are enormous, and I'm not sure F1 teams really want to entrust their GP cars to a young charger in race conditions.

The feeder series' will have to suffice.

I don't like the idea to be honest.

Teams will either have to build a 3rd car or risk one of their cars crashing before the race. The smaller teams will get disadvantaged either way because the teams that do run in this will most likely use it to test things and learn things about the car, and because they (the smaller teams) don't have as much money as the top teams, the gap will only get larger than it already is.

Bernie should be more accommodating with local series racing on the Sunday morning. Why is there not a British F3 round at Silverstone, a Japanese GT race at Suzuka, a Corvettes race at Austin?

Unless he's worried about his series being overshadowed?

And what's wrong with GP2 & GP3 being used a shop window for young drivers?

I think there is something else at the heart of this suggestion, and that is the scarcity of race seats within F1 to allow all the talent in the feeder series to make the step up to compete in F1. Short of bringing in a mandatory retirement age for F1 pilots, or allowing 3-car teams (& a huge grid), I really don't see how things will change.

Either you stand out as a young driver, and maximise every opportunity you get around the F1 paddock, or you fall short and spend the rest of your career never quite reaching the heights of F1. Look at Georgio Pantano...

I bet the teams would use it as a test session.

Well thats kind of the idea but a test in race conditions - if you put a young driver in that situation I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be able to resist going wheel to wheel
I don't like the idea to be honest.

Teams will either have to build a 3rd car or risk one of their cars crashing before the race. The smaller teams will get disadvantaged either way because the teams that do run in this will most likely use it to test things and learn things about the car, and because they (the smaller teams) don't have as much money as the top teams, the gap will only get larger than it already is.

Yeah I take your point which is why I said it wouldn't be compulsery to enter - even if you only got 6 teams entering it would be interesting. It would be a bit like the extra practice they had for teams that wanted it back in the day but in race conditions

And what's wrong with GP2 & GP3 being used a shop window for young drivers?

Nothing at all. I'm a big fan just that however good someone is in GP2 or GP3 its not quite the same as seeing them in action in an F1 car and I thought this might be a good way for young drivers to show they're worth a seat whilst having a bit more excitment for the fans too.

Was just an idea.

Not too different from just having a third GP2 race on the Sunday morning really. Quite a few of the reserves drive in GP2 anyway.

I suppose.

Slightly off topic here, but do you remember much about the BMW Procar Races they held in 1979-80 G?

I've only recently started researching this series and I it must have been awesome to see these GP greats battling it out in those identical supercars. Were any of these races televised?

I suppose.

Slightly off topic here, but do you remember much about the BMW Procar Races they held in 1979-80 G?

I've only recently started researching this series and I it must have been awesome to see these GP greats battling it out in those identical supercars. Were any of these races televised?

Got plenty of pics in my old Grand Prix International mags of you want them Keke.

Back to the original question, I quite like the idea but then I posted an idea of having a 2nd division F1 series on the same days as the main F1 race and then promotion and relegation into the main F1 series.

I suppose.

A little before my time I'm afraid, but it would make a great subject for a thread of its own, particularly if there's any footage to be found.

Interesting idea but I agree that it would turn into a test session. Also from a practical point of view the teams would need a 3rd car wouldnt they as the 2 main cars would be in parc ferme conditions and the risk of damage etc to them would be too risky.

Bernie should be more accommodating with local series racing on the Sunday morning. Why is there not a British F3 round at Silverstone, a Japanese GT race at Suzuka, a Corvettes race at Austin?

Unless he's worried about his series being overshadowed?

Off Topic a bit:

To be honest G, I think you've hit on one of the main reasons why these other series don't get a look in. I seem to remember reading somewhere that during BM's negotiations for the German GP a few years back he stipulated that the circuit (can't remember if it was Hock or Nurb) had to give up it's contract to run FIA Truck racing which is apparently (or was) a huge spectator draw in Germany, if it wanted to host a GP.

Things may have got a little better in F1 as regards overtaking but could you imagine a BTCC day slotted in between the F1 on a Sunday. It would certainly make people sit up a little bit.

Back on topic, As for the idea, I think it's fine in principle however impossible to put in to practice. I thought along similar lines to FB where by you allow teams to run third cars and young drivers in a full quallifying on Friday with those cars making it through going into the race proper qualifying on Saturday and those not going into a sprint race on Saturday afternoon. The winner of which would be given an automatic pass into Saturday qualifying in the next race. The Driver in the top 10 of the WDC would be guarenteed a spot in Saturday qualifying however if they drop out of the top 10 then they are back to a pre-qualifying on the Friday.

How about getting teams to run cars from 2008 and all the reserve and test drivers on the weekend of F1 races and have a race for money.

Say you finish 1st you get £1Million, finish 2nd you get £750,000 and finish 3rd you get £500,000. Finish out of the top three and you don't get paid prize money. Plus it would be brilliant for the lads to get experience.

Those driving the McLarens, Ferraris and BMWs might have a bit of an advantage there. There's also the issue of teams that have left the sport such as Toyota, Super Aguri and BMW.

Back
Top Bottom