Announcement The site software has been upgraded

Brogan

Legend
Staff Member
The software has been upgraded to the latest release.
This release comes with a number of new features and improvements.

We hope you will find them useful.

Ignore Feature
You can now ignore members which will result in all of their posts being hidden.
To ignore someone click on their avatar and click on the Ignore link on their member card.
member-card.png

Alternatively, hover over or click on your user name in the navigation menu and select People You Ignore.
user-menu.png

You can also navigate directly to the page via this URL: http://cliptheapex.com/account/ignored

Enter a member's name to ignore them.
ignore-member.png

To stop ignoring someone, click on Unignore on their member card, or remove them from your ignore list on your account page.
ignore-member-stop.png

If you wish to view the content of someone you are ignoring, you can click on the Show Ignored Content link which is present in individual posts and on profiles, for content you have navigated directly to.
ignore-member-show.png

Or click the Show Ignored Content link at the bottom of each thread or profile page.
ignore-member-show-ignored-content.png

Before you try, you can't ignore staff...
ignore-staff.png

...or yourself :D
ignore-self.png

Custom Profile Fields
We now have the ability to create custom fields which members can complete on their profiles.
Some have already been set up such as Favourite Drivers, Favourite Teams, Favourite Races, Favourite Seasons, and Favourite Circuits.
user-fields.png

You can complete the fields by opening your account page, or by navigating directly to here: http://cliptheapex.com/account/personal-details
To view what other people have entered, click on the Information tab on their profile page.

These are entirely optional; don’t feel obliged to enter any data if you don’t wish to.

Thread Title Text Area
The title area when creating a new thread is now much larger; this is to accommodate the new thread prefixes.

Thread Prefixes
Thread prefixes are a way of highlighting or identifying particular threads.
There are currently two new thread prefixes available: an Overtaking prefix for the Statistics & Analysis forum...
prefix-overtaking.png

...and a Poll prefix which is available in most of the other forums.
prefix-poll.png

Only staff members can use the Overtaking prefix or add prefixes to existing threads.
Regular members can add the Poll prefix when creating a new thread in a qualifying forum.

Clicking on a prefix within a forum will filter all threads with that prefix.

Conversations
You can now report Conversation messages.
Click the Report link which can be found at the bottom of each message, adjacent to the time stamp.

You can also mark Conversations as read/unread by clicking the small green dot which is just to the right of the author’s avatar when viewing a list of conversation in your inbox.

If all conversations are read, mouse over the area between the avatar and the conversation title and the green dot will appear.
conversation-unread.png

Conversation Attachments
Premium contributors are now able to upload attachments to personal conversations, using the standard Upload a File button.

Thread Viewing Permissions
We now have the ability to show nodes and forums to guests, while still restricting access to the threads and posts.
This will be implemented for the Statistics & Analysis forum soon.

Search
The search system has been expanded and improved and consolidated into one single search box.
quick-search.png

It is now possible to search profile posts and members from the main search system via the Search Profile Posts and Search Everything tabs.
You can also search within a thread, something which wasn’t possible until now, along with some pre-defined Useful Searches.

The content type is now indicated in the search results, as well as any matching member names which are displayed in a sidebar.

Permalink / Share
Clicking the Share link in the bottom right corner...
controls.PNG

...will now bring up an overlay like so:
share.png

This overlay can be used to share the post on various social networks, as well as copy and pasting the URL in BB Code or HTML format.
This should make it much easier to link to other posts.

Alerts
In addition to the existing alerts which are displayed in the navigation area, there are now alerts which will be triggered without doing a page refresh; when viewing a thread for example and clicking on an avatar.
These alerts will be displayed in the bottom left of the browser window.
alerts.png

Clicking will focus the page on the main navigation alert area and display it in the dropdown menu.
These alerts will automatically disappear after 10 seconds.

User Group Promotions
Automatic user group promotion based on certain criteria is now a possibility.
This allows us to, for example, remove the ability for members to enter a signature until they have made at least 10 posts.
This is a spam prevention measure, to stop signature spammers from registering just to promote their sites, etc.

As a result, once this feature is implemented, all signatures will be removed (apologies for that).
Feel free to replace them, taking the rules on the maximum number of lines into account.

Notices
You will no doubt have noticed the new, err, notices.
This is a new system which enables us to target different groups and members, to ensure pertinent information is seen.
Some notices will be visiable when logged out and some when logged in.
In most cases, notices which are visible when logged in can be permanently dismissed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

If there is more than one notice being displayed at the same time, the scrolling effect can be halted by hovering over the notice.
You can also click on the notice tab to display specific notices.

Warning System
So far, problems and issues have been dealt with in a very informal, ad-hoc manner, usually taking the form of a private message from a moderator.

We will now be utilising a formal warning system, which will allow for more uniform and fair treatment for all members.
This will avoid any claims of bias or favouritism and ensure every member is dealt with fairly and equally.

If you do receive a warning then please bear in mind the moderators are just doing their job in ensuring the rules are enforced.
Everyone should have read the rules (especially considering the new notice) so ignorance is no defence.

Bugs & Issues
This is an early copy of the software so there may be some problems.
Please report any problems in this thread.

Looks great Bro!

One thing though, when trying to add my favorite drivers I got the following:

The following error occurred:

Please enter a value that matches the required format.

I tried to add it like this: Sergio Perez, Kimi Raikkonen
And I tried adding Sergio Perez only but I got the same error.

First bug I guess :p

I'll check the allowed field values, give me a second.

Edit: The current code only allows for A-Z, 0-9, and _, spaces and commas aren't permitted. I've requested a change but in the meantime I've changed the field values so you should now be able to enter it.

So not a bug, as it's working as designed ;)

Check my edited post above.

I've amended the field value until the other field can be expanded to use space and comma.

I'll check the allowed field values, give me a second.

Edit: The current code only allows for A-Z, 0-9, and _, spaces and commas aren't permitted. I've requested a change but in the meantime I've changed the field values so you should now be able to enter it.

So not a bug, as it's working as designed ;)

Thanks Bro! Good to hear it's not a bug then :)

Bro, the new software doesn't seem to like the back button - when I click on it once it sometimes takes me back 3/4 pages instead of just 1.

Which browser are you using?
I can't reproduce that on Chrome, Firefox or IE.

Try doing a full clearout of all cache and cookies to see if that fixes it.

You may have noticed that a number of thread prefixes have been implemented.

Not all forums have them, and those that do may not have the same ones; the prefixes have been targeted only to the specific forums they apply to.

In addition, only certain user groups can use certain prefixes, so don't consider it a bug if you can't select a particular prefix.

Hopefully these prefixes will help to quickly and easily identity threads which are of particular interest.
Don't forget that when in a particular forum, clicking the actual prefix will filter all threads with that prefix only.

So for example, if you filter on Poll in the F1 forum, the URL has the prefix ID appended to it and this is the result:
http://cliptheapex.com/forums/formula-one/?prefix_id=1

To remove the filter click on the button at the top left.
remove-filter.png

Alerts
In addition to the existing alerts which are displayed in the navigation area, there are now alerts which will be triggered without doing a page refresh; when viewing a thread for example and clicking on an avatar.
These alerts will be displayed in the bottom left of the browser window.
View attachment 2528

Clicking will focus the page on the main navigation alert area and display it in the dropdown menu.
These alerts will automatically disappear after 10 seconds.

I was just posting on a different thread just now and there was a message saying I had a new alert! Crickey, I thought. What have I done!? :o
Then I remembered the new software! :embarrassed:
Good stuff, this forum software thingy. :D

Wikipedia

Pages dynamically created using successive Ajax requests do not automatically register themselves with the browser's history engine, so clicking the browser's "back" button may not return the browser to an earlier state of the Ajax-enabled page, but may instead return to the last full page visited before it.

Is this what Jenov was seeing? I didn't read the whole article, but this stood out...

Love the new features on the forum, also it's by miles better than any other motorsport forum around. Brogan and his team of moderaters should be very proud of the work they've put into making this site a success. Well done lads keep up the top work :D.

There has been a slight tweak to the public controls in each post.

The permalink and share options have been separated, so now in the bottom right corner of each post there is:
Like Quote Share #36 (post ID).

controls.PNG

The post ID has been turned back into a simple permalink and the new Share link is where the social media and other functions have been moved to.

Back
Top Bottom