The Mid-Season Break

FB

Not my cup of cake
Valued Member
This is a very naive question but why was the mid-season break introduced? With no track testing allowed is it simply to give the drivers and team members the chance of a few days off and is there an enforced shut down at all F1 facilities?

FB said:
This is a very naive question but why was the mid-season break introduced? With no track testing allowed is it simply to give the drivers and team members the chance of a few days off and is there an enforced shut down at all F1 facilities?

I believe it was a sweetener for lengthening the season beyond the number of races laid down in the Concorde Agreement. I think the teams argued that increasing the number of races was unfair on personnel, so the mid-season break was introduced to allow time out for R&R.

There personnel really need to be given this break. With the ban on testing, the push to reduce personal, and the sheer competitiveness at the sharp end of the grid, the poor guys at the factories wouldn't get a days break. They need the enforced shutdown, simply to give the teams a rest.

Anything else, and they would have continued working tirelessly on updates.

Where do F1 teams go on holiday? They spend all year travelling around the world to exotic locations spending many hours on planes and in trucks, the last thing I would want to do is get on another plane.

I can imagine Ross Brawn going for a little caravanning holiday in Dorset and Bernie spending a week in Blackpool but getting dissapointed after been told he's not tall enough to ride the big one.

I spend a great deal of time in my work travelling to many countries.But on these trips I am away from my wife and family.
On my annual holiday wherever we go we are all together.That is why the mid summer break is so important to the teams.

sportsman said:
I spend a great deal of time in my work travelling to many countries.But on these trips I am away from my wife and family.
On my annual holiday wherever we go we are all together.That is why the mid summer break is so important to the teams.

Must admit I too travel the world with my job, and the last thing I'd want to do is bump into Bernie in the Queue @ Blackpool Pleasure beach.

Got to be some quality time away from the rain in England, taking the wife & kids abroad to a beach somewhere with no damn laptop........

I can't imagine McLaren sitting still. I can imagine all their designers at home on their laptops trying to design a bendy wing...

Grizzly said:
I can't imagine McLaren sitting still. I can imagine all their designers at home on their laptops trying to design a bendy wing...

I think McLaren is not sitting they are designing some think best for there feature.

Grizzly said:

I would imagine that there are various subterfugal works on the books of EVERY Formula One team, even if it is people having ideas at home.

I read in an article on Adrian Newey's poorly arm that the factories are now on an "enforced" two week shut down. But, as has been pointed out, it won't stop people from having ideas or working from home. Ah, working from home, the afternoon movie on C4 followed by Countdown or some test match cricket - brill LOL

Subterfugal Works :D

Yeah, but none more so than McLaren, don't you think? ...they have a championship to loose if the wing is not banned this year. Mercedes have already said in a round about way they are not interested in pushing (for the title) any more this year... I just think that McLaren have the biggest mountain to climb.

Is it my numbers game?

Ill take one from the top and four of you choice please Caro TBY

I'll make it as F1 as possible:

25 (for a win)
6 (Car of last winner)
5 (Car of last pole)
5 (Car of last Fastest Lap)
6 (Cars Not Lapped)
8 (Position of Car #1)

And a random target of:

Why not?

EDIT: It can be done, I've got 983

teabagyokel said:
I'll make it as F1 as possible:

25 (for a win)
6 (Car of last winner)
5 (Car of last pole)
5 (Car of last Fastest Lap)
6 (Cars Not Lapped)
8 (Position of Car #1)

And a random target of:

Why not?

EDIT: It can be done, I've got 983

Best I can get without a calculator is 984. I'm no Vorderman.

Who would have thought my first post on a motorsport forum would be a countdown numbers game?

5 x 25 = 125
125 x 8 = 1000
1000 - 6 - 6 - 5 = 983

10 points for me. Or is it 25 these days?

Back
Top Bottom