The cars that didn't change the shape of F1

Couldn't resist including this one, the super pretty but very ineffective Flatline Brabham BT55.

http://www.geocities.com/chasey_uk/bt55_1.jpg

If memory serves the main problem was that Gordon Murray laid the engine on it's side and then then the oil wouldn't go round. I once tried running a motorbike when the oil pump was broken, it wasn't very succesful. GM only had to ask and I would have happily shared this information with him :D

I once tried running a motorbike when the oil pump was broken, it wasn't very succesful. GM only had to ask and I would have happily shared this information with him

My Dad also shares that view FB. He raced bikes at club level in the 60s and early 70s. At one race he managed somehow to kick an oil pipe off resulting in the engines oil parting company with the bike. Apparently when the bike evenutally gave up the will to live it was with a pretty hefty bang as the con rod was fired straight through the sump. It was at this point according to mum, that with everything seized, Dad disappeared over the handle bars and into retirement. Mum never let him race again after that. I remember as a kid, the bike, which was a Triumph, being in the back of our garage as a "project" for repair until it was eventually sold in the early 80's.

See, If only Gordan had phoned a few people he would have never had that problem.

My sump plug fell out on the M1 once on a Friday evening when I was travelling home for the weekend.
I only found out a few miles later when the engine quickly and inexorably ground to a halt, seized solid :(

That was a busy weekend; getting the car towed to a mate's house, sourcing a working engine from a scrap-yard on Saturday morning and then fitting and getting it working before driving back to base on Sunday evening :D

Back
Top Bottom